• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Trying out racing skis. Need advice

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
So I've gotten into Beer league racing here locally in MN and picked up a pair of Fisher RC4 GS skis with a 19M turn radius.

Boy do they feel different from my daily driver (K2 Aftershock 86mm underfoot)

I feel like I have to get way more forward to get them to bit as well as my other skis do. Is that normal? I really have to pressure the tip but then to do carve nice when that happens. Should I just work on keeping more forward and pressuring the tip like that? I almost felt like they weren't sharp enough but when I checked them they are razor sharp and the bases are flat and good to go.

Any other tips?

TS
focker

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Did you buy used? How much camber is left in them (when placed base to base, how far apart are the bases)?

They are used and to be honest there is not much camber left in them at this point. They were inexpensive and worth it for me to buy and try them out.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
Most cheater GS skis demand that you load the tip at initiation.
Keeping good pressure on the tongue of your boot is mandatory.
Many wider all mountain skis with early rise and rocker can be skied from the center with OK results.
But doing that induces skidded turns and that doesn't cut it in a course.
Racing is a great way to improve your technique, the clock doesn't lie.
So pull back that foot, load your boot tongue and stand on that outside ski.
Platinum awaits......

Many newer cheater race skis have very little camber to start with.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Knees to skis, and hands up like we tell the younger kids!

Race skis need more shin pressure than you are likely used to and if you are like most people you are likely not getting enough pressure on the outside ski as well.

Those will both contribute.

TS
focker

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
OK thanks much guys. As I skied them more and more on Sunday I got better and better results for sure. I noticed pressuring the tip of the outside ski and keeping my weight forward on my boot tongue's really helped, as did bending my knees more than I am used to.

Once I got used to that I really started to get good results in them. I think my bindings are just a bit too far back right now as well, which may not be helping.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
I'm no ski tech but would increasing the delta ramp help?

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Usually it’s the bigger things first. Then playing with binding position and delta.

In my experience our racers are putting shims under the toe (common) and at first seems counterintuitive but does a better job at getting them forward than the other way which can promote more of a back seated posture.

Big things like shin pressure, more outside ski....then progress to the other variables.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
935659D2-29CE-4AEB-B07D-50765C4803FC.jpeg

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I suspect that you will find that since you’ve increased the performance level of the skis, you will likely (at some point) have to increase the performance level of your boots.

Think stiffer skis, stiffer boots as a general guideline. Soft boots on a stiff ski result in a slower but more exaggerated action to get the ski to respond not what you want. Once you adjust you will find that on your daily drivers that you will over drive them until you learn control.

IMHO skiing race skis greatly improves your technique and skill set as it forces you to ski correctly to get a response. Remember it is easier to moderate your correct action than it is to increase your action done incorrectly.

Have fun.

TS
focker

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Usually it’s the bigger things first. Then playing with binding position and delta.

In my experience our racers are putting shims under the toe (common) and at first seems counterintuitive but does a better job at getting them forward than the other way which can promote more of a back seated posture.

Big things like shin pressure, more outside ski....then progress to the other variables.

Agreed. I'm going to ski them as much as possible leading up to my racing season starting in 3 weeks. I feel like that amount of time will really get me conformable on them.

When I set these up they were set for boots maybe 2-3 sizes small than mine (Atomic Hawk 110 Flex) and I wondering if I was too far back on them as I had to open the binding all the way up to fit my boots.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Not familiar with Fischer stock plate as much now, at one point they used to have a predrilled plate. Have they moved to the undrilled versions like Head has moved to (both Tyrolia bindings)?

TS
focker

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think I'm going to take them in and make sure my boot in positioned correctly before the race season starts. It doesn't cost much and any improvement I would get would be worth it.

180-fischer-rc4-worldcup-gs-race-skis-1112

url

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Silly question, but are they sized correctly for your height/weight as well? Very good call on the possible re-mount. Being 1 or 2 CM behind center can indeed make a difference.

How is your boot fit? Does your heel move side to side or lift at all? What flex are they and how big are you? Also, what is the tune on the skis? 1/2 is fine for rec skiing, but a .75/3 or 1/3 will make a noticeable difference in the gates.

Beyond shin pressure, are your arms forward?

TS
focker

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Silly question, but are they sized correctly for your height/weight as well? Very good call on the possible re-mount. Being 1 or 2 CM behind center can indeed make a difference.

How is your boot fit? Does your heel move side to side or lift at all? What flex are they and how big are you? Also, what is the tune on the skis? 1/2 is fine for rec skiing, but a .75/3 or 1/3 will make a noticeable difference in the gates.

Beyond shin pressure, are your arms forward?

I'm a big guy and likely need longer skis than these but these were cheap and available. My boots fit great. Just had customer insoles put in them last year. Not sure what the tune is yet on these skis. Need to check that.

OldJeep

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'm a big guy and likely need longer skis than these but these were cheap and available. My boots fit great. Just had customer insoles put in them last year. Not sure what the tune is yet on these skis. Need to check that.

How long are they? And out of curiosity, where did you find a set of use Fischer beer league skis? Those have to be pretty rare with most folks around here on Atomic, Rossignol and Head.

TS
focker

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
They are 183's I believe. I got them at a swap our HS team puts on at Pinewski's in Oct.

$50. I couldn't say no. Figured if I don't like them I'll sell them next year for $50 and use them for the year for free.

My long term goal is to demo new racing skis from joe's sports to be able to try something before I buy it. Thinking something with a 16-18 Radius.

L&AirC

PSIA Instructor and USSA Coach
Skier

First things first. Race skis get race tunes. You stated they don’t bite like your K2s. Even if they are sharp, if it’s a 1/2 it will take more than your all mountain skis because they are stiffer. Lower the base edge and they’ll bite sooner which will give you more time to build pressure send get the ski to carve. Before you start making changes, you should get things set correct along with the binding in the correct position. See how they ski and then figure out if you need to do anything else.

Also, something to keep in the back of your mind for your next pair of race skis, is a big person on short skis means the skis will cut in deeper when carving. That can slow you down.

I wouldn’t worry about the length unless you’re trying to beat the pace setter, though. I’m guessing they are around a 175 or there about s and 19M is a good TR for beer league.

Sponsor