• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Truth is in the tune. Or is it?

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
Three instances, all "discovered" this weekend:

Inherited a "new" Stormrider 95, same ski and binding system I am on now, but a different tune. One run down, and I knew the skis were bad; that it's not how I like my skis tuned.

My dad got on a Stormrider 95 (brand new to him, as it was the new model) and immediately on groomed snow could tell the ski needed a tune.

My daughter was on skis for 5 days out of the wrapper. They were race skis, just detuned tips and tails and a little wax. She is 7 years old. They just got a fresh tune, and her coach said that she was "amazed"
At how well he was skiing the skis, rather than them skiing her.

Analysis? Spend the money on a good tune. It matters.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
When one says "ski tune," what all is included? Waxing and sharpening, I assume. Base leveling? Grinding and restructuring? Would those or anything else be part of what you're including in a tune?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
For those in the Truckee/North Tahoe, even Reno area...there are are two great alternatives for tuning...Skis and More, in Truckee and @smoothrides who is a member here. While I haven't personally had skis done by Smoothrides, We do have a Tricia's Latigo's that were tuned by him and just talking to and researching with people who have had their skis done with him, there have been nothing but accolades.

TS
Jed Peters

Jed Peters

Skier
There are multiple components to a tune....

1. Prep sidewall and strip base
2. Flatten base
3. Add structure
4. Set edge and base bevel
5. Wax

Depending on the person, this can take up to 10 hours for a real world-cup level tune.

TS
Jed Peters

Jed Peters

Skier
Elaborate on "needed a tune".

The new skis need to be sidewall, edge and base prepped, flattened, edge Bevel set, and wax cycled.

No ski comes out of the wrapper ready to go...I'm convinced.

In the last year my "ski tech" has done new skis from Head, Dynastar, Stockli (x5), Blizzard, and K2.

James

Out There
Instructor
Well the question was what was the ski like that caused you to say "it needed a tune"? What was the snow condition that it showed up on? That's what's helpful to people as most don't know. Just know something's wrong.

Rec skiers don't "need" wax cycling nor frankly sidewall prep. They need the base mostly flat with proper base bevel.

TS
Jed Peters

Jed Peters

Skier
Rec skiers don't "need" wax cycling nor frankly sidewall prep. They need the base mostly flat with proper base bevel.

Agree and disagree--but mostly agree. As for sidewalk prep, it helps the person tuning in the future as much as anything...and the wax just seals the ski for the future ensuring long life and a properly functioning ski!

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Most new skis can benefit from a tune. Even race skis. A poor tune on a new ski (or any ski for that matter) can make it ski like crap.

Sidewall prep is necessary to properly set the side bevel. Flattening the base and adding the right structure along with setting the bevels and wax complete the tune. I have tried some skis straight out of the wrapper and always chosen to tune them rather than resign myself to the factory tune.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
There are multiple components to a tune....

1. Prep sidewall and strip base
2. Flatten base
3. Add structure
4. Set edge and base bevel
5. Wax

Depending on the person, this can take up to 10 hours for a real world-cup level tune.

What do you mean by 'strip base'? Remove any factory wax? With wax remover?

James

Out There
Instructor
Definitely agree most new skis need a grind and bevels set. Most people also don't want to pay for this and some think the store should do it for free. Also you may not always get a flat ski even with a $300k + machine. Just reality.

Sidewall prep usually means shaping the sidewall and top edge beyond what's necessary for filing.
Machines don't need no sidewall planing. Neither do people who aren't going to file their own skis.

But still haven't heard what Jed didn't like about the Storm Rider. Otherwise it's all theory for people.

TS
Jed Peters

Jed Peters

Skier
Also you may not always get a flat ski even with a $300k + machine. Just reality.

My SR115's needed 50 passes through the machine to get them flat.

Truth.

But still haven't heard what Jed didn't like about the Storm Rider. Otherwise it's all theory for people.

I have Stormrider 95's (previous model year). I hopped on my "new" Stormrider 95's (same previous model year) and they had a different tune--namely they weren't detuned to the point that I like them....I like a very aggressive detune (1" behind the rocker) on the tip and tail.

I didn't like them when I first got on them, but in the lift line I took them off, ran a stone over them tip and tail, and they were perfect the rest of the day.

Note that I am VERY sensitive to tune.

Thanks,

Jed

James

Out There
Instructor
I see. I wouldn't call not detuning a bad tune. I call it normal. Sadly, it's not.
An agressive dulling of skiable edge would render a very expensive ski damaged if one didn't want that.

Non flat, excessive or inconsistent base bevels, hanging burr are bad tunes.

TS
Jed Peters

Jed Peters

Skier
I see. I wouldn't call not detuning a bad tune. I call it normal. Sadly, it's not.
An agressive dulling of skiable edge would render a very expensive ski damaged if one didn't want that.

Non flat, excessive or inconsistent base bevels, hanging burr are bad tunes.

We aren't speaking the same language.

I didn't say it was a "bad" tune. Just not the tune that I like.

And I'm not "aggressively dulling" the ski edge either. Ugh. We are so not on the same page. Thought I was clear....oh well.

Last edited:

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
For those in the Truckee/North Tahoe, even Reno area...there are are two great alternatives for tuning...Skis and More, in Truckee and @smoothrides who is a member here. While I haven't personally had skis done by Smoothrides, We do have a Tricia's Latigo's that were tuned by him and just talking to and researching with people who have had their skis done with him, there have been nothing but accolades.

Where does @smoothrides work?

Never mind, found it: http://www.smoothridestahoe.com/

Had never heard of them.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Our Wintersteiger rep suggested we use our old GrindRite edger (retired due to the arrival of the trimjet) to prep the side edges before using the trimjet. I guess using the expensive machine to do what a sidewall trim or the GrindRite could do is possible, but also a waste of the expensive disks vs. cheap belts.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You are taking this way too seriously. If you race or ski on ice, tuning is important. If you are just cruising around, mashing soft bumps or chasing powder you don't really need much of a tune. I prefer a bit draggy ski in the bumps so I avoid wax. Plastic lasts forever so the bases aren't going to degrade without wax. When I need to race, I will get a nice tune. Until then, I will enjoy skiing. If you enjoy playing with ski tuning, that is an art in itself worthy of your interest. But it won't affect the skis for my crude skiing skills.

Eric

Sponsor