• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Trust yourself, regarding how a ski feels...

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
When a "happy pill" (new skis) becomes a bitter pill, when is it time to pump the stomach?

When I have to slow down in the tress because they seem too easy. But my kids are getting too fast so I have to stay ahead to look out for bears.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I just got a new pair of Fischer the Curv DTX's. I learned a while ago to always question the factory tune. Sure enough, the base bevel varied from 0.5 to 1.0 intermittently along the length of the ski. The bases were pretty flat. The side edges weren't real sharp and probably about 2 degrees. They skied OK, but not as good as I expected. I then put a very sharp 3 deg. side edge on them. That made things worse as the skis got grabby and hooky. Took the gummie stone to them and back to OK. I will need a base grind to fix the base bevel and I expect them to work great afterwards.

I use magnifying googles, a led light, a straight edge, and feeler gauges to check the base bevels. I check the side bevels by holding my side edge file holder up to the edge and eyeballing it. I will start a thread soon and take pictures and show how to measure base bevel, It is pretty easy to do.

Choucas

Getting off the lift
Skier
The worst part is the time spent skiing on skis that need work. When skiing, no matter what your ability, your are the expert on how the skis feel. If they don't feel right, do something about it right away. Detune is rarely the fix. Properly set up skis should feel anywhere from very good to great. If they're not, either fix them yourself (requires learning a bit about how to finish the edges properly and investing in the tools to do it) or find a shop that will pay attention and get them right. Not a shops want to do that. Not all shops are able to do that. Don't let them insinuate that you aren't qualified to judge. You're the customer and you don't have to be a super skier to tell when the skis are helping you vs. you fighting them. I have several friends (mostly experienced advanced level skiers but by no means experts) who let me work on their new skis after they had skied them a few times and have come back shocked at the difference. And skiing better and with more confidence.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Generally send my skis in for a tune after 12 days on snow. It had been years since I have a bad tune but picked up my Mantra's last week and the tail of the right ski had a mind of it's own. Returned them back to the shop telling them either I broke the ski or the tune was bad. They admitted to having a problem with a few sets of skis that went out the door. Always trust your feel.