• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Ouch. While you’re in the process of figuring out what’s going on & how to fix it with a bootfitter or whomever, I’m with @François Pugh , tape your shins. I’d do athletic tape instead of moleskin, with a thin layer of gauze where the cuts are. People who play field hockey tape everything always and I’m surprised how this isn’t the norm for the rest of the population, it works. I’d keep on taping until your shins are completely healed, which will probably be a while, and would probably tape them up after just for good measure cuz why not.

I like to tape blisters and ow-ees with duct tape. The soldier slipperier the outside surface, the better. Until you can figure out how to avoid the movement causing the injury, you don't want to add friction to the system, you want to protect the injury and reduce friction.

Roundturns

Getting off the lift
Skier
I used Eliminator Tongues in the past . I have skinny calves. I put them back in my boots this season and started having shin soreness!
Took them out and shin pain went away! Go figure!

otto

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Anytime you see skin ruptured on the lower leg or foot in a ski boot, there is movement taking place. Blistering means rubbing, rubbing means movement.

You have had some advice here of things you could buy or do to help you with the net result of the movement. However you have not really received advice as to what is actually causing your bloody shins.

The footbed advice is solid for any boot fit when either you need to take up space or there is some movement taking place at the subtalar joint that is allowing the foot to pronate and the shin to rotate in that pronation. If the boot is not the correct size or shape for your lower leg and foot, this fix will have limitations as to how effective it can be.

Socks, boosters, tongue shims, taping, or wrapping can be effective and surely was effective for the reasons that the other posters stated. Which without seeing you or your boots relative to how they match, is impossible to know if any or all of those ideas might help. Not to be redundant, but, if the boot size or shape do not match your lower leg and or foot shape, none of fixes will be fixes.

There two fixes to your problem ( actually three, but I am not going to count shaving the hair off your lower legs before you go skiing again, just because it is so effing obvious )

The first fix has to be the size of the boot you are using relative to the size of your lower leg and foot. The second factor if the shell is a good match, is what is the condition of your liner, and does it have the beef to hold your foot/heel/lower leg down and back in the boot, without any gapping between the boot front, the boot rear, and your shin and calf.

The second fix is figuring out what the shin does in the boot related to your ankle range of motion. This depends on how your ankle range of motion works with the ramp angle, the fit, and flex of your boot set-up. If your ankle range of motion is high, and your boot is soft, you will have a huge ROM that the shin can rub against the front of the boot. By adjusting the ramp angle of the bootboard, the forward lean of the boot shaft, and stiffening the boot cuff, you can reduce the motion that your leg goes through with each turn of your skis. In the inverse if your ankle range of motion is limited or locked, the heel can lever off the bootboard each turn and this will force the shin to become the contact point for control. So in this instance if you adjust the bootboard ramp angle to match the limited range of motion you can reduce that movement that could be contributing to your raw shins.

Do these things:

1. Shave your legs today, so that you are completely healed before your next ski trip. Shave again the day before you go on your next trip. And keep them shaved for the entire ski season.
2. Have your ankle ROM checked and have your boots adjusted according to the ROM findings
3. Foot, Boot, and body assessment by a reputable boot fitter to build you a proper footbed and install it in the correct boot for said assessment.
4. if you ignore above advice, your last hope is spraying some cooking spray into a baggie and placing the baggie between your shin and you sock.

TS
agreen

agreen

Getting on the lift
Skier
Anytime you see skin ruptured on the lower leg or foot in a ski boot, there is movement taking place. Blistering means rubbing, rubbing means movement.

You have had some advice here of things you could buy or do to help you with the net result of the movement. However you have not really received advice as to what is actually causing your bloody shins.

The footbed advice is solid for any boot fit when either you need to take up space or there is some movement taking place at the subtalar joint that is allowing the foot to pronate and the shin to rotate in that pronation. If the boot is not the correct size or shape for your lower leg and foot, this fix will have limitations as to how effective it can be.

Socks, boosters, tongue shims, taping, or wrapping can be effective and surely was effective for the reasons that the other posters stated. Which without seeing you or your boots relative to how they match, is impossible to know if any or all of those ideas might help. Not to be redundant, but, if the boot size or shape do not match your lower leg and or foot shape, none of fixes will be fixes.

There two fixes to your problem ( actually three, but I am not going to count shaving the hair off your lower legs before you go skiing again, just because it is so effing obvious )

The first fix has to be the size of the boot you are using relative to the size of your lower leg and foot. The second factor if the shell is a good match, is what is the condition of your liner, and does it have the beef to hold your foot/heel/lower leg down and back in the boot, without any gapping between the boot front, the boot rear, and your shin and calf.

The second fix is figuring out what the shin does in the boot related to your ankle range of motion. This depends on how your ankle range of motion works with the ramp angle, the fit, and flex of your boot set-up. If your ankle range of motion is high, and your boot is soft, you will have a huge ROM that the shin can rub against the front of the boot. By adjusting the ramp angle of the bootboard, the forward lean of the boot shaft, and stiffening the boot cuff, you can reduce the motion that your leg goes through with each turn of your skis. In the inverse if your ankle range of motion is limited or locked, the heel can lever off the bootboard each turn and this will force the shin to become the contact point for control. So in this instance if you adjust the bootboard ramp angle to match the limited range of motion you can reduce that movement that could be contributing to your raw shins.

Do these things:

1. Shave your legs today, so that you are completely healed before your next ski trip. Shave again the day before you go on your next trip. And keep them shaved for the entire ski season.
2. Have your ankle ROM checked and have your boots adjusted according to the ROM findings
3. Foot, Boot, and body assessment by a reputable boot fitter to build you a proper footbed and install it in the correct boot for said assessment.
4. if you ignore above advice, your last hope is spraying some cooking spray into a baggie and placing the baggie between your shin and you sock.
Wow! Great info, thank you.