• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

agreen

Getting on the lift
Skier
Hi, just wondering if I can get some advice on how to save my shins from getting rubbed raw. I have custom fit boots and they feel great around the foot/ankle. Usually I just lose some hair but this last trip it really got bad. I was skiing a lot of heavy crud and some bumps and this happened:

bad shins.jpg

I have low volume calves AKA chicken legs so maybe some type of insert on the tongue? Or really crank down the top buckles and power strap? Thanks for any advice!

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
My shins looked like that way back when I was a kid and wore Scott boots with a rubber tongue.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
As @trailtrimmer sais, try the booster strap. Tighten it up against the tongue of the liner, not the outside of the plastic shell. That should keep your shin in contact with the liner tongue at all time.
If the liner tongue does not contact the entire length of your shin within the boot. Try installing a plastic spoiler piece between the rear of the liner and the shell spline.

On another thought, the wounds appears to be abrasion type of wound. If that is the case, they may be caused by your ankles lifting in the boots. I like the think of ankle hold down as 80% active (skier) and 20% passive (boot). If you like to try "active" heel retention while skiing, ski with your boots unbuckled on a groomer. Concentrate on standing on your feet. Keep the booster strap tight or keep the top buckle secured if you still on a regular velcro power strap.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Hi, just wondering if I can get some advice on how to save my shins from getting rubbed raw. I have custom fit boots and they feel great around the foot/ankle. Usually I just lose some hair but this last trip it really got bad. I was skiing a lot of heavy crud and some bumps and this happened:

View attachment 41540

I have low volume calves AKA chicken legs so maybe some type of insert on the tongue? Or really crank down the top buckles and power strap? Thanks for any advice!

That happened to me (although not as severely! :eek: ) when I had boots that were not stiff enough (for my weight, skis and skiing) and they were a tad to big for my legs.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Woah! In addition to the above perhaps some compression socks that can’t move around on your skin.

TS
agreen

agreen

Getting on the lift
Skier
Wow, thanks for all the great responses. I like the idea of the strap on the tongue instead of over the plastic. I've always wrapped it just above the top buckle still on the plastic. My heel seems pretty snug in there but there is definitely some space around the upper boot and my calf. I'll also try the compression socks and if I'm still having issues I'll look for some type of pad to fill in the space. 3 weeks till spring skiing in Mammoth for a week so that should be a good test as I tend to seek out slushy bumps during this time.
BTW boots are Nordica Patron Pro (130?) and I'm about 170lbs

Thanks again!!!

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
The power strap on the tongue under the plastic is something that can work magic. (On boots that allow it.). You may also want to discuss it with your bootfitter. They have probably helped others with this issue.

Good luck, heal quick.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
FWIW, there are a couple of socks on the market that can do this to my shins. YMMV. One is the thinnest 'point six' sock, the other the super thin bridgedale 'race' sock. I've never had this problem with any other socks. On occasion, the radius of the plastic on the boot tongue doesn't match the radius of the lower leg and can create problems with equal pressure distribution on the shin that even many of the good suggestions above won't quite correct.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
....I have low volume calves AKA chicken legs so maybe some type of insert on the tongue? Or really crank down the top buckles and power strap?
....there is definitely some space around the upper boot and my calf....I'll look for some type of pad to fill in the space
....On occasion, the radius of the plastic on the boot tongue doesn't match the radius of the lower leg and can create problems with equal pressure distribution on the shin that even many of the good suggestions above won't quite correct.

Equal pressure distribution on the shin.... that may be your issue. You need it. Your boot tongue/cuff needs to press against your shin all the way up and down your lower leg, equally, as you ski. If the lowest part of your shin has a gap between it and the boot tongue, then the top part of your shin will bear all the built-up pressure in each turn, and suffer. This is how people get shin-bang, and your leg has the worst possible version of it. Since your wounds are at the top of the boot cuff, that's the part of your leg that's banging into the tongue.

Your shin should not be slamming into the tongue. It should be snuggled up against it all the time, no banging, and when there's pressure, your leg should press into the tongue and bend the cuff with equal pressure all the way up and down. Keeping the cuff buckled loose is maybe causing your issue. I'm thinking that because you are wondering if you should crank them down. Or maybe your boots have too much volume and you can't easily fill the space by buckling normally. If your boots have too much volume, next time you buy look at low volume boots. They will have LV in their name.

Do what you need to do to keep your whole shin tightly pressed up against the whole tongue, top to bottom, and the pressure will be smoothed out to give some relief to your wounds. Equal pressure should mean you no longer have an intense pressure point like you currently have. The bottom of your shin will share the load.

The booster strap helps at the top of the tongue, but it doesn't do anything for the bottom of it. If you can't close the gap with tighter buckling and a booster strap, this might help... the Eliminator Tongue, available online and at your local shop. (And low volume boots next time.)
eliminator tongue.jpg

Last edited:

ella_g

Getting off the lift
Skier
Ouch. While you’re in the process of figuring out what’s going on & how to fix it with a bootfitter or whomever, I’m with @François Pugh , tape your shins. I’d do athletic tape instead of moleskin, with a thin layer of gauze where the cuts are. People who play field hockey tape everything always and I’m surprised how this isn’t the norm for the rest of the population, it works. I’d keep on taping until your shins are completely healed, which will probably be a while, and would probably tape them up after just for good measure cuz why not.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
If those sores hurt as bad as popped blisters or worse, hydrocolloid dressings (burn gel) can be far more soothing than moleskin.

If the shape of the tongue does not quite match your shin, a thin (3mm) sheet of EVA foam from the craft store - inside the sock - can be a functional hack until you can have a more permanent solution. Especially if you hit it with heat to quicken the moulding.
http://www.michaels.com/creatology-value-pack-foam-sheets/M10287634.html?dwvar_M10287634_count=12

Last edited:

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
What is under your foot? If your arch is colapsing your shin will rotate in the cuff no matter how tight you buckle up or where you run the booster/ Velcro strap.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Ouch. While you’re in the process of figuring out what’s going on & how to fix it with a bootfitter or whomever, I’m with @François Pugh , tape your shins. I’d do athletic tape instead of moleskin, with a thin layer of gauze where the cuts are. People who play field hockey tape everything always and I’m surprised how this isn’t the norm for the rest of the population, it works. I’d keep on taping until your shins are completely healed, which will probably be a while, and would probably tape them up after just for good measure cuz why not.

Get the large bandaids (or other brand) with the non-stick wound pads, and then cut them to shape and cover with moleskin or cloth medical tape or athletic tape. Those pads are a lot easier to work with than free-form gauze.

TS
agreen

agreen

Getting on the lift
Skier
What is under your foot? If your arch is colapsing your shin will rotate in the cuff no matter how tight you buckle up or where you run the booster/ Velcro strap.
They are custom insoles and lower foot/ankle feel really snug so I think I am good there. I may just wrap the area with an ace and see what happens until I can get back to the boot fitter. Hoping the wounds heal in 2 1/2 weeks but the area remains visible so I know where to wrap. Thanks again for all the advice above I really appreciate it.

Sponsor