• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

International (Europe/Japan/Southern Hemisphere) Trip report from waterskiing in Spain

TS
Eleeski

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@LiquidFeet Thanks for the concern. My hamstring was not a full tear and I should recover completely (I'm told). The timing was awful for me regarding this tournament. The popping was not a new tear (I hope) but just a sudden increase in the pain there. Now that the tournament is over, the hamstring is really bugging me - especially on today's walks. Maybe I was in denial of the pain, maybe I hurt it more yesterday but I'm darn proud of how I skied given how things feel today. While it is my first hamstring issue, my brother suffered a similar injury and eventually recovered fully.

While the tournament is over, the trip isn't. Awesome trip! Hopefully I'll be able to post more.

Eric

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It sucks that you injured yourself but, this looks like such an overall cool experience. Thank you for sharing it with us.

BTW, @Ziggy says thats a good downward dog, but he thinks he can do better. :wag:

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey...thanks for letting us in on this and congrats for representing and competing. Great trip report.

The only time I've ever injured the wheels was waterskiing. Cold water, waiting for the boat, sudden high load.

TS
Eleeski

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The tournament is over so you thought the reports would end? No way, we have the rest of Spain to still see!

Driving out of Aranjuez, I finally figured out how to pronounce it properly. “A wrong way.” We safely Griswalded out of town with just a few multi circle roundabouts. I kind of like that feature, you can circle a couple times and decide which is the best exit. Slightly better than random. And if you guess wrong they are really easy Uturns. We did pass the Leclerc store we had such a hard time finding a couple days ago several times…

Off to Cuenca. Easy drive and we didn’t get lost. Beautiful countryside. Looks a lot like Northern California. It got a bit cooler with a few pines mixed in in the higher spots. Interesting roadside geological features. Came into Cuenca rather abruptly. The cities have a lot of population and not much sprawl. Densely packed urban living (not sure it’s for me – I like going to my lake where the nearest neighbor is a few miles away). After a couple Griswald circles we ended up on a country road heading out of town. So we pulled into a driveway to Uturn that happened to be a pretty little park. They must use a lot of Aquashade to get the water so turquoise in the duck filled river. No bathrooms (do Europeans have giant bladders?) so we didn’t leisurely loiter. The worker there said to drive up the road (see earlier picture of the typical Spanish road except add extreme steepness) and walk up there.

Up a big flight of stairs was the tourist area! I lucked in to the easiest access and best free parking to get to the historic area. Except for the stairs. My leg really hurt – I skied really well to perform at all on this leg so I’m really proud of my run. Taking it slow (like the old man that I guess I am) we made it into the town.

Slight detour to the porta potties. European porta potties are great. A flapper to prevent blue splashback, a civilized blue pump[er and a little hand wash sink. That’s a far cry from the stinky outhouses that the college kids need to stir to make room for… this is headed in a bad direction. Still, I was kind of wondering why there was a porta potty here.

We walked past a worker hosing down the street (and us?) and came to some heavy duty barricades as we came into the Plaza Mayor. Lots of people milling around and lots of busy workers. We go into the tourist information center to get a map and find out that today is the running of the bulls! We talked to a worker spreading dirt on the cobblestones to protect the bulls – he was wearing the red bandana around his neck but but still not sure he wanted to run. The guy in the restaurant we had lunch also had the bandana and also was unsure. No way am I hobbling with the bulls. The whole city had a very fun excited vibe.

We walked around for a couple of hours. What an amazing city. A little later than the dark ages so most of the effort went into houses hanging from the hills and massive retaining walls. Incredible!

We went to a wall with the most awesome views. We enjoyed the views. Sniff, sniff. This is worse than OB (back in San Diego where the homeless pee everywhere). We moved down the wall. Worse. Europeans haven’t solved all of the world’s problems.

My leg was suffering, we were supposed to meet our new friends Mike and Cindy in Valencia and the running of the bulls was still 6 hours away so we decided to pass on the actual event. I probably enjoyed seeing the setup and talking (through my bad Spanish, slow English and interpreter Lisa) as much or more than watching a blur of activity whoosh by in a couple seconds while being pressed by millions of people. We bailed on the actual event…

So off to Valencia! A wonderful and easy drive. We passed a reservoir. It was quite low. Does drought follow me everywhere? That’s a big lake to Aquashade but it was beautifully turquoise. I really wanted a boat to ski with there (and a good leg).

As we approached Valencia, things changed a bit. The farms were more managed. The sunflowers were bigger, the olive orchards were cleaner and better organized and the whole fields were producing. Serious farming was happening. I’m looking forward to Valencia orange juice.

We made it to Valencia. Lisa’s GPS was just bad enough to keep us from smoothly meeting Mike and Cindy on time. So we ended up just walking on the boardwalk on the beach near the America’s cup spot. Very cool! Nice tapas on the beach and the day was pretty much done. Awesome day!

Lisa had booked a fancy room in a hacienda of an olive farm. Quite posh. Maybe a little over the top. The geology book in the library was about the geology of wine regions in Spain. And every other book or magazine was about wine. A bit pretentious. The restaurant was closed so we had a drink and a cheese and meat plate in the library. I had the best brandy I have ever enjoyed. Stupid me, I forgot to get the name the next morning to get some. But now I’m on a brandy mission!

Eric

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The tournament is over so you thought the reports would end? No way, we have the rest of Spain to still see!

O. Beautiful countryside. Looks a lot like Northern California. It got a bit cooler with a few pines mixed in in the higher spots. Interesting roadside geological features. Came into Cuenca rather abruptly.
We walked around for a couple of hours. What an amazing city. A little later than the dark ages so most of the effort went into houses hanging from the hills and massive retaining walls. Incredible!

We went to a wall with the most awesome views. We enjoyed the views.
Lisa had booked a fancy room in a hacienda of an olive farm. Quite posh. Maybe a little over the top. The geology book in the library was about the geology of wine regions in Spain. And every other book or magazine was about wine. A bit pretentious. The restaurant was closed so we had a drink and a cheese and meat plate in the library. I had the best brandy I have ever enjoyed. Stupid me, I forgot to get the name the next morning to get some. But now I’m on a brandy mission!

Eric
excellent adventure ! I'll have to let my kids read this as they're learning show skiing, maybe in 30/40 years they can be senior USA reps too!

TS
Eleeski

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Driving out of Aranjuez, I finally figured out how to pronounce it properly. “A wrong way.” We safely Griswalded out of town with just a few multi circle roundabouts. I kind of like that feature, you can circle a couple times and decide which is the best exit. Slightly better than random. And if you guess wrong they are really easy Uturns. We did pass the Leclerc store we had such a hard time finding a couple days ago several times…

Off to Cuenca. Easy drive and we didn’t get lost. Beautiful countryside. Looks a lot like Northern California. It got a bit cooler with a few pines mixed in in the higher spots. Interesting roadside geological features. Came into Cuenca rather abruptly. The cities have a lot of population and not much sprawl. Densely packed urban living (not sure it’s for me – I like going to my lake where the nearest neighbor is a few miles away). After a couple Griswald circles we ended up on a country road heading out of town. So we pulled into a driveway to Uturn that happened to be a pretty little park. They must use a lot of Aquashade to get the water so turquoise in the duck filled river. No bathrooms (do Europeans have giant bladders?) so we didn’t leisurely loiter. The worker there said to drive up the road (see earlier picture of the typical Spanish road except add extreme steepness) and walk up there.

Up a big flight of stairs was the tourist area! I lucked in to the easiest access and best free parking to get to the historic area. Except for the stairs. My leg really hurt – I skied really well to perform at all on this leg so I’m really proud of my run. Taking it slow (like the old man that I guess I am) we made it into the town.

Slight detour to the porta potties. European porta potties are great. A flapper to prevent blue splashback, a civilized blue pump[er and a little hand wash sink. That’s a far cry from the stinky outhouses that the college kids need to stir to make room for… this is headed in a bad direction. Stil, I was kind of wondering why there was a porta potty here.

We walked past a worker hosing down the street (and us?) and came to some heavy duty barricades as we came into the Plaza Mayor. Lots of people milling around and lots of busy workers. We go into the tourist information center to get a map and find out that today is the running of the bulls! We talked to a worker spreading dirt on the cobblestones to protect the bulls – he was wearing the red bandana around his neck but but still not sure he wanted to run. The guy in the restaurant we had lunch also had the bandana and also was unsure. No way am I hobbling with the bulls. The whole city had a very fun excited vibe.

We went to a wall with the most awesome views. We enjoyed the views. Sniff, sniff. This is worse than OB (back in San Diego where the homeless pee everywhere). We moved down the wall. Worse. Europeans haven’t solved all of the world’s problems.

My leg was suffering, we were supposed to meet our new friends Mike and Cindy in Valencia and the running of the bulls was still 6 hours away so we decided to pass on the actual event. I probably enjoyed seeing the setup and talking (through my bad Spanish, slow English and interpreter Lisa) as much or more than watching a blur of activity whoosh by in a couple seconds while being pressed by millions of people. We bailed on the actual event…

So off to Valencia! A wonderful and easy drive. We passed a reservoir. It was quite low. Does drought follow me everywhere? That’s a big lake to Aquashade but it was beautifully turquoise. I really wanted a boat to ski with there (and a good leg).

As we approached Valencia, things changed a bit. The farms were more managed. The sunflowers were bigger, the olive orchards were cleaner and better organized and the whole fields were producing. Serious farming was happening. I’m looking forward to Valencia orange juice.

We made it to Valencia. Lisa’s GPS was just bad enough to keep us from smoothly meeting Mike and Cindy on time. So we ended up just walking on the boardwalk on the beach near the America’s cup spot. Very cool! Nice tapas on the beach and the day was pretty much done. Awesome day!

Eric

TS
Eleeski

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
At Hotel Mas Boeles in Tarragona, we made tiny cups of fancy coffee in the room for coffee in bed. Fancy coffee maker too. Put on bathing suits to head to the pool for a swim. Uh-oh, not heated. So we took a nice walk around the beautiful grounds instead. The olives have a ways to go and we didn’t see any grapes (harvested already?). No swimming meant an early start to Barcelona.

Ham and other pork products are everywhere in Spain. Even the little stores will have a wall of hanging salted pork legs. So where are the pig farms? We passed a couple on AP7. Whew! And when we passed the pig hauler truck we were able to positively identify the odor.

The drive went smoothly (if occasionally aromatically) to Barcelona. With no cultural maps of Barcelona, I vectored pretty much directly to a giant phallic symbol we could glimpse. Barcelona is a huge city. It took a while to traverse. Arriving at the weird modernistic building, we parked underground. The exit led to a locked door at the top of the staircase. OK. Out the other exit.

Interesting building. It was a private office building in the middle of an office district. The Torre Agbar building. Empty now. Eerie. Snapped a couple pictures and found a farmacia for an ace bandage. Got a Barcelona map and headed back to the parking garage. Fumbled with the coins at the payout machine and the ticket fell under the seat so we took a couple minutes to get to the exit. Our ticket didn’t work to get out! WTF? Another .65 for the couple minutes we spent leaving. Heaven forbid there would be a line to exit or we’d go broke to leave.

Drove to the tourist area. I’m not a city guy and I’m getting pretty stressed (don’t drivers ever take turns merging?). Maybe I should have gotten the insurance. Drove past the Arch. Parked at a close in lot by the Picasso museum (with a human lot attendant) and escaped the car. Nice pizza lunch (I am superstitious about pizza and tournaments but that’s over). Walked around a pretty park where they were taking down everything from a festival we missed yesterday (more bull running? No.). Posed by the Mammoth statue. The maintenance on the park was a bit discouraging. Grafitti on beautiful wood doors long untended. Broken bench slats. Just a general deterioration. Make the public feel the austerity where it is most visible?

Walked through a beautiful neighborhood and ticked off several must see buildings from the tourist map. Quite nice. Had an ice cream, espresso swirl, that might have been better than Mcdonalds ice cream. Got to the Picasso museum. Some line.

Aside: whenever I buy a lottery ticket, we talk about how we would spend a big winfall. Buying a Picasso has never been on the list. If we were given a Picasso, we would sell it immediately. We really don’t desire a Picasso – regardless.

So back to the Picasso museum, Are we really going to wait for the better part of an hour and pay money to see an artist we have no connection with? Ummm, no. Even the chocolate museum was too busy. Off to the beach!

The crazy Russian motorcyclists must have all moved to Spain and gotten scooters. We wanted to drive by some church – the drive was hell. With my non rental insurance clause flashing before my eyes every couple of seconds, we made it to the giant fancy church that is being restored at the cost of Spain’s solvency. At least half of Barcelona was there to enjoy it as we creeped by in the gridlock. We finally get on the toll road heading up the coast.

Funny thing about the toll roads, they charge you 2.11 but don’t accept 1 cent coins. I think the troll behind the troll roads is pocketing that little excess (after they dither the parking lot timers).

Griswalding out the wrong exit from a traffic circle, we get off the Google route (not again). Lisa looks at the map and “recalculates”. If we go to Loret de Mar we can take GI682 to Platja d’Aro. Looks about the same distance… Now the traffic and driving had me pretty stressed in Barcelona. We get on this curvy little road on a cliff above the ocean. Nobody is on it. Lisa asks me if I’m OK. I just smile. Open curvy road with gorgeous views and what was pretty much my own private race course? “I’m fine.” It took a few minutes longer but was the absolute highlight of the day! It was a lot like highway 1 near Big Sur but way more accessible.

We get to the hotel in time for a walk on the beach. The rainstorm that had turned the ocean yellow at Tossa de Mar had barely gotten the sand wet here. The water was not cold and quite clear. Bodes well for a snorkel tomorrow.

Dinner at the hotel looked sketchy so we walked the long walk into town. We stopped at Mariscos – I don’t think I got the name right but I sure got the right restaurant. Wonderful paella, nice garlic shrimp, fresh squeezed Valencia orange juice and some nice Spanish brandy to finish. Excellent meal! Walked off some of those excess calories on the way back to the room.

Eric

TS
Eleeski

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Last night’s dinner was late – even by Spanish standards. So we woke up a bit late. Made it in time for the hotel buffet breakfast (Silken Park San Jorge in Platja d’Aro). The industrial coffee machine made mediocre cappuccino, nice cafe with milk and great espresso – once I topped off the cup with hot milk. Chocolate croissants and the worst pineapple I ever tasted – oh wait, it was some yellow melon. Still horrible but I hate melons and love pineapple so my faith in the world order is still intact. And ready to snorkel!

Toes in the Med were cold – but lots warmer than Barcelo Aranjuez’s pool a few days ago. So I toughed it out and hopped in. Awesome! Great visibility and tons of fish. Good rock formations and just enough sand to attract the fish that live there. Quite different from true tropical fish distributions in that there was little color. No bright yellows and greens. Fish doing the same things as in the tropics but they were all grey.

I worry about overfishing. Something will move into the niche of a fish that is overfished. Sometimes that fish will rebound and reassert its species. Other times, another fish will take over (hopefully they are as good eating). I hope it’s not jellyfish that take over. Jellyfish creep me out. And I've never eaten one – even with plenty of scotch. There were several ugly jellyfish swimming with us. Not the really scary kind with long tails of stingers but I didn’t want to whack one with an arm stroke. Of course the really dangerous thing out there was the guy in the camo wetsuit and a big spear gun. Looked like a people killing speargun. We made eye contact and I sprinted the other way.

Our quick dip in the Med turned into a wonderful snorkelathon. I was getting a bit chilly and my hands were getting numb so we finally quit – happy. But we had to rush to make checkout time. Good sign. I’d give snorkeling in the Med thumbs up!

Off to the Pyrenees. After yesterday’s fun “road not taken” drive, we intentionally sought the back ways to Andorra. Lunch at a tiny working town outside of Vic. We sat outside and munched sausages while getting the occasional whiff of a remote pig farm. The waitress had lots of tattoos and spiky dress – kind of entertaining. Our Mexican Spanish was a bit tough for communicating with the Castillian Spanish. Of course all my Spanish is embarrassingly bad regardless.

Driving through Ripoli (where we had to stop for the bottled water truck turning out of the water bottling plant) we took N260 to La Seu d’Urgell. Fantastic drive! Open curvy road with spectacular views of the Pyrenees. No traffic except for the Russian motorcycle team. No way could I pace them in my gutless VW. Of course, we played leapfrog as we chose to stop at different vista points to take in the views. We saw a cyclist riding at an incredible pace near the summit. How far did he ride? How could he maintain that kind of pace that far away from anything? Must be a retired TDF or Vuelta pro. I got inspired and was thinking of renting a road bike to ride a hill or two in Andorra.

Arrived in Andora. They didn’t even look at our passports much less stamp them. Zoomed through. I read that Andorra has something like 70,000 people. So I’m envisioning a quaint little country with a couple tiny resort towns. Wrong! We drove through kilometers of densely packed city. Maybe there are only 70,000 citizens but there were a million tourists. It might get REALLY busy during a good ski week. So much for a country bike ride. I’m not ready for urban road racing in an unknown city. We are staying at the health club so we went to the wonderful indoor warm pool.

It was quite busy with people sitting in bubble therapy lounges submerged in the pool. There was a lane open so we hopped in. Wearing my obligatory swimming cap (OK, weird rules) I swam .01 second faster. The water was warm but not warm enough to loosen up my shoulder which had been overworked on the morning snorkel. And certainly not warm enough to sit not moving in a bubble lounger. There was a warmer pool – just right for teaching kiddies but still not American jacuzzi hot. I found the jacuzzi tub – but it was cold. At least the sauna was hot. And the heat worked magic on my leg.

Dinner was a Mexican pizza (curiosity driven order) which had 2 pepronchinis and a fried egg on top. Hmmm, authentic? Europe really needs something spicy to liven up the food. The cheap but quite nice Spanish brandy helped.

Eric

Sponsor

Staff online