• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
As a ski tester, one of the added benefits in my day-to-day experience is the time I spend in a ski shop talking to a variety of women, from the timid to the aggressive, from the playful to the serious, from base-lodge mom to bell-to-bell skier. One thing that rings true with most women is that they want a lightweight ski that will do everything. This is where the 90+ category can fill the need and cover a lot of terrain. With that in mind, manufacturers are offering more options that are a great mix of lightweight, strong, and nimble. Perhaps the fat-bottomed girls really do make the rockin' world go 'round. Without further ado, let's get to the reviews of our wide-waisted girls.

4FRNT Aretha
Dimensions: 130-105-125
Radius: 25m@174cm
Size tested: 174
Design: New Construction

The 4FRNT Aretha is a reverse camber ski with 4FRNT's proprietary ContourCore and ReflectTech, intended to maximize float and forgiveness. As its all-mountain ski for women, the Aretha lives up to 4FRNT's big-mountain roots.
  • Who is it for? A female big-mountain skier looking for something more friendly for casual days.
  • Who is it not for? The timid skier.
  • Insider tip: Don't upsize on this one.

Atomic Backland W 102
Dimensions: 120-102-121
Radius: 18m@172cm
Size tested: 172
Design: All New
Atomic Backland W 109
Dimensions: 133-109-123
Radius: 17.6m@175cm
Size tested: 175

These skis were one of the surprises of the show for me. I expected them to have float in the soft snow and charge through the moguls and chop, but I had no idea how much they would hold an edge and rip when it was time to venture on the groomers back to the lift. Go for the 109 for a little more float.
  • Who is it for? Someone looking for a versatile off piste ski that will charge.
  • Who is it not for? Someone looking for a casual ride.
  • Insider tip: If you’re between sizes, don’t be afraid to go up.

Atomic Vantage 90W

Dimensions: 121-90-109
Radius: 18m@169cm
Size tested: 169
Design: Carryover

The Vantage 90W (and 95W) is nimble in the moguls and easy to turn, but it has a speed limit and leaves a little on the table when venturing into more aggressive terrain.
  • Who is it for? Someone looking to start venturing off piste.
  • Who is it not for? Someone who skis aggressively off piste.
  • Insider tip: If you are ready to start getting off the groomers, this is a great start.

Blizzard Samba

Dimensions: 131-98-116
Radius: 19m@166cm
Size tested: 166

The 2017 Samba comes with a fresh new look and updated construction, and now a ski I’ve loved for 4 years is even better. By adding carbon to the construction, Blizzard has amped up the torsional flex while making the Samba lighter. This new build makes the Samba perfect for women who want a nimble ski that can still charge the mountain.
  • Who is it for? Someone looking for a ski that can do it all.
  • Who is it not for? Someone looking for a specialty ski.
  • Insider tip: Don’t be afraid to drive the tip to feel the power this ski can deliver.

DPS Nina F99

Dimensions: 123-99-113
Radius: 18m@168cm
Size tested: 168

The Nina F99 has the same dimensions as the previous Nina 99 but sports the new Foundation construction. I found the F99 to be compliant, with nice float in the moguls and glades, but it took a little extra effort to make turn transitions when it was necessary to get back on the groomers.
  • Who is it for? Someone looking for a lightweight ski for trees and off piste.
  • Who is it not for? Groomer Greta.
  • Insider tip: I think the Nina may ski a little better mounted 1 cm forward.

Elan Ripstick 94W

Dimensions: 136-94-111
Radius: 16m@170cm
Size tested: 170

Elan’s promise of a fun ski to charge off piste was met with much anticipation. I really enjoyed this ski in moguls and when playing around in the soft fresh snow. I only wish I had a chance to really push its limits: there was definitely a lot of feedback, which is something I don't usually like, but this was still a fun ski.
  • Who is it for? Someone looking for a playful off-piste option.
  • Who is it not for? Someone looking for a calm ski.
  • Insider tip: If you like a damp ski, this isn't the one.

K2 FulLUVit

Dimensions: 132-95-115
Radius: 14m@170cm

This is easily my favorite of the Luv skis, both as a daily driver and a one-ski quiver for an advanced woman skier. I’m not sure how K2 made a ski that is so easy to ski but still ready to be skied aggressively, but this is it. Sail Away Glades, moguls, broken crud, or groomers, every move on the FulLUVit was seamless.
  • Who is it for? Someone looking for a fun off-piste ski.
  • Who is it not for? Boring Betty.
  • Insider tip: Look for serious fun.

K2 Luv Boat

Dimensions: 137-105-121
Radius: 16m@170

K2 changed the design of this ski from 2016, introducing the construction and shape of the Pinnacle line. This was not a mistake. After skiing the first section of our run, I realized why Phil likes the Pinnacle so much. This ski is easy to turn, smooth in condition changes, and floaty in fresh.
  • Who is it for? Someone looking for a ski that makes skiing fun and easy.
  • Who is it not for? Someone looking for a super charger.
  • Inside tip: Don’t overthink it.

Line Soulmate 92
Dimensions: 127-92-115
Radius: 14.2m@158cm
Size tested: 158
Design: Carryover

The Line Soulmate is not new, but it shouldn’t be overlooked. I felt like I could ski the moguls smoothly yet still turn easily when it was time to tackle the chop and groomers. This is a big-mountain ski with an all-mountain side. (Or is it an all-mountain ski with a big-mountain side?)
  • Who is it for? Someone looking for a narrower ski with a big-mountain feel.
  • Who is it not for? Someone who is skiing groomers all day.
  • Insider tip: Don’t be afraid to take it into some challenging terrain.

Nordica Santa Ana 93
Dimensions: 123-93-112
Radius: 15.5m@169cm

The conditions couldn’t have been better for a ski with this profile. I jumped into a short section of decent-sized moguls and was wowed by the nimbleness of this ski in making quick turns and decisive lines. When I got back out on the groomers, I felt that it was a little short; interestingly, I ski its big sister in the same length but don’t get that feeling.
  • Who is it for? Eastern skiers looking for a midfat to do it all.
  • Who is it not for? Someone looking for a groomer ski.
  • Insider tip: Go up one size if you’re looking for a frontside ski.

Nordica Santa Ana 100
Dimensions: 130-100-118
Radius: 15.5m@169cm
Design: NGT

Construction has not changed in this ski from 2016, but it was a good reference ski that didn’t disappoint. With 12 inches of fresh overnight, the Santa Ana floated when I wanted to float, carved cut-up pow when I demanded it, and held a line in the moguls.
  • Who is it for? Lightweight skiers looking for a powder ski, or an all-mountain ski with a powder bias.
  • Who is it not for? Someone looking for a groomer zoomer.
  • Insider tip: Buy early, these will sell out.

Salomon QST Lumen 99
Dimensions: 134-99-116
Radius: 19.2m@174cm
Size tested: 174

The Lumen is just one of the skis that Salomon has changed by adding flax to maintain lightness while gaining strength. This construction is damp and powerful, which is just what you need when the conditions are challenging.
  • Who is it for? Someone looking for a calm charger.
  • Who is it not for? A skier looking for a lively option.
  • Insider tip: I might have liked this ski a little better in a longer length.
About @Tricia
Height: 5'6"
Weight: 130 lb
Years skiing: 30+
Days per year: 75+
Home mountains: Northstar, Squawlpine Meadows, Arapahoe Basin
Preferred terrain: Trees, of course, but making tracks in fresh corduroy brings a smile to my face, too.
Skiing style: Finesse
Preferred ski characteristics: For the most part, I like a ski that has a playful tenacity, but a ski that likes to be driven is fun when the corduroy calls my name.
Boots: Tecnica Mach1 105 LV
About me: "Do what you love, love what you do" are the words I live by. Skiing became my passion from the moment I turned 18; a little over 25 years later, I moved to the Lake Tahoe Basin to make skiing my life and career. Along with helping skiers face to face, I am the site manager and owner here on pugski.com and review product for various manufacturers, both hardgoods and softgoods.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I will be on the hunt for the Santa Anas this summer, as a go-between for my 90mm Kenjas and 106mm Savory 7's. I thought they were just EASY and fun, and I could open them up and get some speed without fearing for my life. Luckily, I have access to a lot of ski shops locally so hopefully I'll find a pair used somewhere.

I also skied the 2017 Lumen and it's funny, I found them a bit livelier than you describe, or maybe, just not as smooth as others?? I also felt I could have gone up from the 167 I was on, a 170 would have been golden for me. I overall liked them, and wouldn't turn them down if someone gave me a pair, but they weren't my favorite of the day. But they were easy to ski, and very maneuverable. Didn't initiate turns as easily for me as some of the others, either. But I could adjust to accommodate that.

And now that I've skied other skis and had a lot of days on the hill this year, I am overpowered by the Sambas. Or my boots are, I feel like I just can't get enough power to them. I'd blame the boots, but they are totally fine with all the other skis I tried, including the very powerful 90Eights and the wider Savory 7's.

Demoing is REALLY fun, and REALLY a problem for the bank account :rolleyes:

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I will be on the hunt for the Santa Anas this summer, as a go-between for my 90mm Kenjas and 106mm Savory 7's. I thought they were just EASY and fun, and I could open them up and get some speed without fearing for my life. Luckily, I have access to a lot of ski shops locally so hopefully I'll find a pair used somewhere.

I also skied the 2017 Lumen and it's funny, I found them a bit livelier than you describe, or maybe, just not as smooth as others?? I also felt I could have gone up from the 167 I was on, a 170 would have been golden for me. I overall liked them, and wouldn't turn them down if someone gave me a pair, but they weren't my favorite of the day. But they were easy to ski, and very maneuverable. Didn't initiate turns as easily for me as some of the others, either. But I could adjust to accommodate that.

And now that I've skied other skis and had a lot of days on the hill this year, I am overpowered by the Sambas. Or my boots are, I feel like I just can't get enough power to them. I'd blame the boots, but they are totally fine with all the other skis I tried, including the very powerful 90Eights and the wider Savory 7's.

Demoing is REALLY fun, and REALLY a problem for the bank account :rolleyes:
I really like the input you've been giving. You're definitely a good resource for a large part of our membership.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I really like the input you've been giving. You're definitely a good resource for a large part of our membership.
:)Thanks!! I hope I can give kind of a unique perspective as that person who was a one-to-two-trips per year meddling intermediate, to someone who now skis 60-70 days per season, and has learned a whole lot along the way! Plus I seem to have a fondness for Volkl, which as a fairly timid lightweight is surprising to me. I think they take away the timid, or something like that. ???

ETA one thing I will say is that I can see why someone who skis frequently would own two skis of similar dimensions but in a different brand. I could easily see owning the Volkl 90Eight AND the Santa Ana. The 90Eight would come out when things are skied off and the snow is set up more, and Santa Ana on days when there is fresh snow or it's holding up really well and staying soft. (BUT for those who take a couple trips per year, owning more than two skis of differing stats seems like overkill, especially if you are not at least an advanced skier.)

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Annnnd now I want a pair of Santa Anas TOMORROW. Big storm here, and I just do NOT get along with the Savory 7s. :( Took them up today in a blizzard, and I need a ski that I can fart around on in those conditions and feel in control, and I just cannot get them on edge.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Atomic Backland W 109
Dimensions: 133-109-123
Radius: 17.6m@175cm
Size tested: 175

These skis were one of the surprises of the show for me. I expected them to have float in the soft snow and charge through the moguls and chop, but I had no idea how much they would hold an edge and rip when it was time to venture on the groomers back to the lift. Go for the 109 for a little more float.
  • Who is it for? Someone looking for a versatile off piste ski that will charge.
  • Who is it not for? Someone looking for a casual ride.
  • Insider tip: If you’re between sizes, don’t be afraid to go up.

• @Tricia can you describe how these are different from the Old Century 109? @SBrown said the new ones were very playful and good for tree skiing, which sounds different from someone not looking for a casual ride. Do you know where I can get my hands on a pair??? Will they make an appearance on Mother's day perhaps?

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It has been a while since I've skied the Century so its hard for me to compare.
What I can say is that the Backland 109 was easy to maneuver and unflappable.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Tricia why not try the Men's E93 in a 169?

The 185 E93 has been the longest "near daily" ski I have skied at stowe in a while and its impressively versatile.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
please do, and tell us if the 169cm Enforcer 93 is a length to avoid like the plague as we're told of the 169cm Enforcer 100.
I rode the gondola with a guy today (not a tall guy, maybe 5'6") who had a pair of Enforcer 100s in a 169. Interestingly, they are the same height as my 163 Kenjas. He sure liked them, though.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
so which is off, can you measure your Kenjas?
Yes, but someone might have to tell me exactly from what point to what point do I measure? Just follow the base of the ski from tip to tail?

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Idk? I would place it on the floor, tail against the wall, put a square block in front of the tip and measure the length from the wall to the block.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
please do, and tell us if the 169cm Enforcer 93 is a length to avoid like the plague as we're told of the 169cm Enforcer 100.

I'd like to put it to the test ... you know, purely as a public service. If someone has one to lend, and some snow to go with it, send me a PM.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Tony S my house will probably have a pair next year, if your boot sole is close to 286mm? but then again she already like the 166cm Brahma so I do not think a 169 E93 is to different in burliness if anything the 185cm E93 is more forgiving than the 180cm new Brahma

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Oh, you don't have to, I was just thinking out loud.

...but if you do, and your walls have high baseboards you can to do it the other way around, i.e., shovel up against baseboard measure from BB to tail.

Sponsor