• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Atomic Cloud 12
Dimensions: 112-70-97
Radius: 15.3m@161cm
Size tested: 161
Design: All New

This is Atomic’s answer to the women when they asked, “Where’s my Redster?” A winning combination of light woodcore and Servotec make the Cloud 12 an amazing frontside ski. I had the chance to ski it on two occasions, including a day of scraped-off snow at Copper and later on early-morning refrozen groomers at Snowbasin (which were enhanced by those precious ice marbles that we’ve all experienced from time to time). The Cloud 12 not only handled it, but excelled in those conditions with confidence. Who needs a Redster when you can ride on a Cloud?
  • Who is it for? Those who crave a precision groomer ski.
  • Who is it not for? Intermediates.
  • Insider tip: The Cloud 12 allows a variety of turn shapes.

Dynastar Intense 12
Dimensions: 121-72-106
Radius: 14m@166cm
Size tested: 166

Dynastar is offering the Intense 12 to women who are looking for a serious frontside ski. This ski reminded me how much fun it is to make nice turns without having to overthink it: just pressure the tip and it comes around like an old friend. The small mogul field I went through was a piece of cake. This could easily be dubbed the Cougar Cruiser.
  • Who is it for? Skiers looking for a fun groomer ski.
  • Who is it not for? Someone who prefers a midfat as a daily driver.
  • Insider tip: Trust the tip.

Fischer RC4 My Curv
Dimensions: 121-68-102
Radius: 13m@164cm
Size tested: 164

Fischer’s new Curv line is offered on the women’s side of the wall as My Curv. I was advised that this ski was set up with a race tune, which was immediately evident when I made my first turns. It really wants to be skied at speed, holding a strong edge and relying on skier input to move into the next turn. No getting lazy on this ski with this tune; I’d like to get a chance to ski it with a 1°/3°.
  • Who is it for? Someone looking for a strong carving ski.
  • Who is it not for? The timid.
  • Insider tip: Sharpen your skills, this ski needs to be driven.

Head Super Joy
Dimensions: 128-75-108
Radius: 12.5m@168cm
Size tested: 168
Design: Carryover

When Head introduced the Joy line a few years ago, the promise of making a ski that was both lightweight and powerful with Graphene was something new in its skis. While the technology has since been implemented in its men's skis, the Joy line, and the Super Joy in particular, still stands out. It turns intuitively and pushes through crud effortlessly. When it's time to carry it back to the car, you throw it over your shoulder and realize that you just spent the whole day on a ski this lightweight like it was a powerful carver -- which it is!
  • Who is it for? Anyone desiring a lightweight ski with carving chops.
  • Who is it not for? Someone who likes a damp frontside ski.
  • Insider tip: Don’t let the weight fool you.

Kästle LX73
Dimensions: 115-73-99
Radius: 15m@164cm
Size tested: 164

Kästle has changed its LX lineup this year; it has added a sidewall construction, making this ski completely different from past versions other than the LX in the name. As you would expect from a Kästle, it carved beautifully and inspired me to push my own limits with that smoothness we’ve grown to love. What the LX line has lost in nimbleness, it has gained in power, cutting through the crud effortlessly.
  • Who is it for? Someone looking for a smooth, precise groomer ski.
  • Who is it not for? Skiers who like a midfat as their daily driver.
  • Insider tip: If you’re a previous LX72 or LX82 customer, try before you buy; it is not the same ski anymore.

Nordica Sentra SL 7 Ti Evo
Dimensions: 121-70-106
Radius: 12m@160cm
Size tested: 160

Nordica is taking women seriously: at 70 mm underfoot, and with Energy 2 titanium, the Sentra SL 7 is a serious ski for the serious female skier. It held an edge and brought a smile to my face even though it was late in the day and there was some crud to deal with. The strength of this ski blew through the cut-up crud so easily, I can only imagine how amazing it will be on fresh corduroy.
  • Who is it for? Strong female skiers.
  • Who is it not for? The faint of heart or light of weight.
  • Insider tip: If you’re looking for a GS feel, go a little longer.

Völkl Flair SC E
Dimensions: 122-72-105
Radius: 14m@165cm
Sizes: 150, 155, 160, 165
Size tested: 165
Design: Carryover

Tricia: Völkl’s Flair line, which was introduced last year, is back with the SC E as the leader in its class with a beautiful shape and UVO technology; this ski turned on a dime, held an edge, and made every bump in the run feel smooth. I handed this back to the rep reluctantly, but with a giant grin on my face.
  • Who is it for? Advanced skiers, here is your precision groomer ski.
  • Who is it not for? The meek.
  • Insider tip: This is last season's SC UVO with a binding change; the vMotion3 is GripWalk-compatible.
Go here for all reviews listed by brand.

Myles

Putting on skis
Skier
Great reviews. My wife is in the market for a new pair (either something out of the bargain bin this spring or something closer to full price in the fall), so I will pass the link along to her. Just out of curiosity, have you had a chance to try the Epic Joy yet and, if so, how does it compare to these other skis? I was chatting with a ski instructor who has been using a pair for most of the season and she was extremely happy with them, but our conversation (and the lift ride) ended before she could go into any detail as to why she likes them so much.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have some Super Joys on their way to me :D
Ski Essentials deal was hard to beat. I demoed them two weeks ago and absolutely LOVED them.

@Myles, what is the Epic Joy?

Myles

Putting on skis
Skier
Might he be talking about the Wild Joy? It's the new one.
Nope, the Epic Joy. I have found a review in Italian. Maybe it is something that is not yet available in North America?

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Great reviews. My wife is in the market for a new pair (either something out of the bargain bin this spring or something closer to full price in the fall), so I will pass the link along to her. Just out of curiosity, have you had a chance to try the Epic Joy yet and, if so, how does it compare to these other skis? I was chatting with a ski instructor who has been using a pair for most of the season and she was extremely happy with them, but our conversation (and the lift ride) ended before she could go into any detail as to why she likes them so much.
It looks like the Epic Joy is only offered in Europe. I haven't seen it, but I'll definitely ask about it when I talk to Head.

I will say this, if she is an instructor, the reason she likes it may range anywhere from -
Wow this is an awesome carving ski for an accomplished skier
to
This is super easy to ski and make demonstrations with for exams.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks similar to the Super Joy, but maybe 5mm narrower??
I will say, I also skied the Total Joy at 85mm under foot, and it was extremely similar to the Super Joy in how it skied.

Myles

Putting on skis
Skier
Hey Tricia,
Yep, seems to be a Europe only ski (although I wonder if it might be imported to Canada next year and not to the US). I found this description on an Italian website:

SCI HEAD EPICJOY 2018 CON ATTACCHI JOY 11
Sci anteprima stagione 2018 categoria all mountain donna, adatto a sciatrici livello oro, esperte/in evoluzione.
Caratteristiche: Graphene, women's camber, super light weight costruzione carbon, soletta UHM C base.
La struttura eccellente di questo sci superleggero da donna regalerà forti emozioni alle iù coraggiose nel carving ad alta velocità su piste battute.
Sci super leggero che aggiunge azione e gioia alla tua giornata. grazie a graphene, il materiale più leggero sottile e robusto al mondo, sciare non sarà più la stessa cosa. Sci più leggeri con un equilibrio e un controllo senza paragoni.
MISURE DISPONIBILI, 163 CON ATTACCO JOY 11

Which translate to:
Epic Joy ski with Attack 11 bindings. An early offer on next year's ski, a women's all mountain ski adapted to gold level skiers, experts or those who wish to become experts. Graphene, women's camber, super light weight carbon construction with UHM C bases. The excellent structure of this super light ski will provide women with strong emotions for those who are courageous carvers and who ski at high speeds on piste. This super light ski will give joy to your day. Thanks to graphene, the lightest strongest material in the world, skiing will never be the same. A very light ski with unequalled balance.

No measurements are provided on the site, other than the fact that the 163 cm version is available.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What I find interesting about the Epic Joy (still waiting to hear back from Head about it) is that it appears to be an aggressive sidecut based on width, and it has the the Aaatack 11 binding on it instead of the 11 SLR's.

Myles

Putting on skis
Skier
What I find interesting about the Epic Joy (still waiting to hear back from Head about it) is that it appears to be an aggressive sidecut based on width, and it has the the Aaatack 11 binding on it instead of the 11 SLR's.
Yes, that is odd. The sidecut looks to be substantial, and it has a tiny waist, so I was surprised to read that it is supposed to be an all mountain ski (according to one of the Italian retailers), however the review on La Grande Neve seems to suggest that it is an elite carving ski with a wood and koroyd core, and the application of graphene. As for the instructor with whom I spoke, from what I know about her I would say that the skis is an awesome carving ski for an accomplished skier (she is an ex-racer and likes to ski hard), but I could be mistaken.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
So, quite a bit narrower. And an Attack 11 is indeed interesting. And a binding I stay away from now, unless I can mount a toe shim under it.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Here is the reply I got from Head
The Epic JOY is a new 17/18 women’s system ski that we are not bringing into the U.S., but it will be offered in Europe and possibly also in Canada next season. It is not available to test in the U.S. since we are not carrying this model.
These two images were sent with it.
fullsizeoutput_44e1.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_44e2.jpeg

Myles

Putting on skis
Skier
Here is the reply I got from Head
The Epic JOY is a new 17/18 women’s system ski that we are not bringing into the U.S., but it will be offered in Europe and possibly also in Canada next season. It is not available to test in the U.S. since we are not carrying this model.
These two images were sent with it.
View attachment 21387 View attachment 21388

So, basically a super light SL ski?

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Myles, that's what it sound like to me.

But, as I noted from the earlier post, it was linked with Attack 11's on them, but the specs that Head shared with me have the 11 SLR on them.

Myles

Putting on skis
Skier
@Myles, that's what it sound like to me.

But, as I noted from the earlier post, it was linked with Attack 11's on them, but the specs that Head shared with me have the 11 SLR on them.
Yes, the 11 SLR makes a lot more sense.

Myles

Putting on skis
Skier
Yes, the 11 SLR makes a lot more sense.
Also, I see that my translation was not a very good one. In Italian it says, "Joy 11 binding". Since binding in Italian is 'attacco', I translated this as attack.