• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Testing the 2020 skis was particularly exciting for me because some manufacturers are making huge strides in women-specific ski design, strides that are far from the old mantra of "shrink it and pink it." Companies are leaning on female teams who are involved with research and development; no more pigeonholing women into the generalization that we are "all like this,” but instead imagining women’s ski gear for the variety of women’s needs.

The work I’ve done here on Pugski has put me in the position of being recognized as a key influencer by several of these manufacturers and afforded me the opportunity to ski some of these skis early on, and I’m super excited to share my experience with them.

One standout for me while beginning the review process at Copper was the change in sizes available for women. In the past, I was always able to find skis in a good length for me, yet @SkiNurse always struggled to find the right size for her. This year, most manufacturers offered women’s skis in petite sizes and I was the one struggling to find average lengths -- but I can imagine it was a refreshing experience for @SkiNurse.

Mammoth
At Mammoth we experienced some incredible snowfall, so much so that a third of the reps were unable to get to the demo. The good news is that we got to ski fat skis in the environment for which they are intended; the bad news is that the winds and avalanche danger prohibited us from skiing some of the steeper terrain that these skis beg to charge. The best news is that we got out on a lot of skis and are eager to tell you about it.

Copper
The Copper On Snow tends to be a great time to get on a variety of skis, from carvers to chargers and everything in between. If you know the mountain well, you probably know some secret stash of leftovers for testing powder skis. This year we had a two-day break in between the Denver OR show and Copper On Snow, which served as a good opportunity to regroup before hitting the test tents. Copper delivered some of the best conditions we’ve had for a demo, ranging from perfect groomers to a few inches of fresh, giving us a good feel for the daily drivers that most skiers seek.

---------------------------------------------------------

Atomic Vantage 80 Ti
Dimensions: 118-80-105
Radius: 14.9m@159cm
Sizes: 151, 159, 167
Size tested: 159
Design: All New

The Vantage 80 Ti is another ski that I enjoyed to a point but wish I could have skied in a longer length. This all-new design on the women’s side for Atomic includes some of the attributes that I’ve enjoyed with the Vantage skis, but Titanal adds a smoothness that makes it feel much more engaging and ready to carve up the front side, all the while blowing away any crud you encounter. Even though I was skiing it in a length that I don’t normally ski, I took it for an extra run and played in the moguls.

• Who is it for? Someone looking for a smooth daily frontside ski that inspires confidence.
  • Who is it not for? Someone looking for a lightweight daily driver.
  • Insider tip: If you’re looking for something a little lighter, look to the C version in the Vantage lineup.

Elan Insomnia Power Shift
Dimensions: 121-73-104
Radius: 13.3m@158cm
Sizes: 146, 152, 158, 164, 170
Size tested: 158
Design: Redesign

The Insomnia name has been around for a while, but this improved version has brought the Wingman design together with the Amphibio technology that has been integrated into the Insomnia ski for several years. The Wingman technology adds an extra emphasis on the inside edge of the ski to give it a little more power through the turn. My only hesitation on this ski was that it I tend to ski a little longer, so the 158 was a bit short for me and demanded that I stay on top of every turn. For the right-sized person, this promises to be an incredible frontside ski.

• Who is it for? A female looking for a carvey, cruisey ski.
  • Who is it not for? Someone who spends most of their time off piste.
  • Insider tip: Go longer.

Head Super Joy
Dimensions: 129-75-108
Radius: 12.2m@163cm
Sizes: 143, 148, 153, 158, 163, 168
Size tested: 163
Design: New Construction

The Super Joy got a bit of a makeover this year with an all-new shape, molds, and karuba core, also used in the Kore series. As much as I enjoyed the original Super Joy, this version is definitely improved. The new shape offers a little quicker turn initiation and a smoother feel; where the original Super Joy had a light feeling on the snow, the new core gives her a calmness that inspires confidence. As icing on the cake, Head changed the construction of the top sheet to make it more durable, keeping her looking fresh for the long term.

• Who is it for? A woman looking for a nimble frontside ski.
  • Who is it not for? A woman who doesn’t like carving.
  • Insider tip: Don’t let its lightweight construction fool you.

Kästle DX73 W
Dimensions: 115-73-99
Radius: 13m@156cm
Sizes: 140, 148, 156, 164
Size tested: 156

Kästle has built some of the best premium skis for discerning skiers for several years. It offered a few options for lighter-weight skiers and women, but never a women-specific design -- until now. This is the year of change with the Vogue line. The DX73 W is a ski that speaks to me as someone who has spent a fair amount of time on early-morning groomers. The quick transfer from edge to edge and smooth feel expected from a Kästle were immediately evident. You only get one chance to make a good first impression, and Kästle definitely made a good impression on me.

• Who is it for? A woman looking for a premium frontside ski.
  • Who is it not for? Someone who spends most of their time off piste.
  • Insider tip: Don’t demo it unless you’re prepared to buy it.

Liberty V76 W
Dimensions: 126-76-106
Radius: 12m@158cm
Sizes: 151, 158, 165
Sizes tested: 158, 165

This is one of the skis I had been waiting for ever since skiing the V76 last year in a 172, and the promise of a women’s version in shorter lengths for 2020. The V76 in 165 is part of my test fleet, so I’ve had a chance to take her out in a variety of conditions with a couple different tunes. This ski is incredible in the moguls, edgeable on hard pack, and powerful in the crud. Having skied it in three lengths, I can say that there is a fit for just about anyone looking for a ski with this kind of tenacity. It is rare that you find a 76mm-waisted ski that instills confidence off piste the way the Liberty V76 W does. The thing I haven’t touched on yet is the incredibly gorgeous top sheet; the artists and engineers at Liberty have outdone themselves on this one.

• Who is it for? Someone looking for a frontside-biased ski that can charge moguls and trees.
  • Who is it not for? Jibbing Jenny.
  • Insider tip: If you’re looking for stability at speed, go up a size. If you’re looking for a nimble daily driver, stay true to your usual size.

Salomon S/Max W 10
Dimensions: 119-73-102
Radius: 14m@160cm
Sizes: 150, 155, 160, 165
Size tested: 160

The S/Max W 10 was a sleeper ski for me. We have talked about the men’s version but haven’t really touched on this one; we have barely talked about the S/Max Blast that I skied last year. Maybe we ladies have not been thinking much of this kind of ski, but it's time to change that -- especially if we want manufacturers to continue to build skis that can carve your signature into the firmest of groomers. As Salomon says, “The S/Max W line of skis is loaded with two sheets of Ti, full race wood core and the all-new edge amplifier giving you a ski that offers power, performance, precision responsiveness and edge grip.” I don’t often quote the manufacturer, but Salomon nailed it. This is not a ski I want to take into the bumps or trees, but damn does it respond to every tiny bit of input I put into it; it does make me think I could carve my name into a crispy groomer. “Precision responsiveness,” indeed.

• Who is it for? A woman who wants a precise groomer ski.
  • Who is it not for? Bumping Bonnie.
  • Insider tip: For a slightly narrower and lighter version of this ski, look at the S/Max Blast.

Last edited:

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
@Tricia - Question on the Liberty v76W - What would you think about putting a female low-intermediate skier who has been on k2 Luvs and ready for an upgrade?

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Tricia - Question on the Liberty v76W - What would you think about putting a female low-intermediate skier who has been on k2 Luvs and ready for an upgrade?
I would say either that ski or the V82.
The 82 may be a little more forgiving.

FairToMiddlin

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
Great reviews, it was fun to join you a couple of weeks ago on yet another skinny, the Augment 77.

I agree with you about the Liberty 76, I skied the 172 and found it freakishly reassuring off piste, what a pleasant surprise.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Great reviews, it was fun to join you a couple of weeks ago on yet another skinny, the Augment 77.

I agree with you about the Liberty 76, I skied the 172 and found it freakishly reassuring off piste, what a pleasant surprise.
Thanks.
I'm working on a few reviews of skis that I got on later, like the Augment AM77.
When can we ski again?

Sponsor