• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Testing the 2020 skis was particularly exciting for me because some manufacturers are making huge strides in women-specific ski design, strides far from the old mantra of "shrink it and pink it." Companies are leaning on female teams who are involved with research and development; no more pigeonholing women into the generalization that we are "all like this,” but instead imagining women’s ski gear for the variety of women’s needs.

The work I’ve done here on Pugski has put me in the position of being recognized as a key influencer by several of these manufacturers and afforded me the opportunity to ski some of these skis early on, and I’m super excited to share my experience with them.

One standout for me while beginning the review process at Copper was the change in sizes available for women. In the past, I was always able to find skis in a good length for me, yet @SkiNurse always struggled to find the right size for her. This year, most manufacturers offered women’s skis in petite sizes and I was the one struggling to find average lengths -- but I can imagine it was a refreshing experience for @SkiNurse.

Mammoth
At Mammoth we experienced some incredible snowfall, so much so that a third of the reps were unable to get to the demo. The good news is that we got to ski fat skis in the environment for which they are intended; the bad news is that the winds and avalanche danger prohibited us from skiing some of the steeper terrain that these skis beg to charge. The best news is that we got out on a lot of skis and are eager to tell you about it.

Copper
The Copper On Snow tends to be a great time to get on a variety of skis, from carvers to chargers and everything in between. If you know the mountain well, you probably know some secret stash of leftovers for testing powder skis. This year we had a two-day break in between the Denver OR show and Copper On Snow, which served as a good opportunity to regroup before hitting the test tents. Copper delivered some of the best conditions we’ve had for a demo, ranging from perfect groomers to a few inches of fresh, giving us a good feel for the daily drivers that most skiers seek.

---------------------------------------------------------

Blizzard Black Pearl 82
Dimensions: 121-82-105
Radius: 15.5m@166cm
Sizes: 152, 159, 166, 173
Size tested: 166
Design: All New

The only chance I had to ski the Black Pearl 82 was at Snowbasin on a surprise powder day when the snow wasn’t your typical Utah fluff. Even though this is not the ideal ski for these conditions, I was quickly put in my place when Phil asked what my powder ski used to be, 15 years ago, and I had to admit, it was 82 underfoot. I put myself in the mindset that most people have a one-ski quiver and this is the ski that person would be on, so I needed to put it to the test.

Results? It is a fun ski! It turns quicker than its popular big sister, is strong enough to handle heavy snow and chopped powder, and responds nicely when I need to make a quick move. I’ve been a long-time fan of the Black Pearl 78 and wondered why Blizzard was introducing an 82, but this ski answered that question.

• Who is it for? A woman who wants a freeride ski that is slightly narrower than the norm.
  • Who is it not for? A skier looking for a carving-specific ski.
  • Insider tip: If you are looking for a good bump ski, this could be it.

Dynastar 4X4 82 Xpress

Dimensions: 130-82-110
Radius: 13m@164cm
Sizes: 156, 164, 171
Size tested: 164

Dynastar ramped up a new line for women this year with the 4x4 construction. The 4x4 82 is a system ski that offers versatility for a woman looking for a confidence-inspiring daily driver. It has a really nice turn initiation and a great tail finish; it would be a great choice to take your skiing to the next level.

• Who is it for? An advanced intermediate looking to improve carving skills.
  • Who is it not for? A hard charger.
  • Insider tip: For an advanced/expert version, look at the 4X4 82 Pro.

DPS Foundation Uschi 94 C2

Dimensions: 127-94-108 (scaled)
Radius: 18m@165cm
Sizes: 157, 165, 171, 178
Size tested: 165
Construction: Carryover

This is the second year in the DPS lineup for this Uschi F94. The Foundation construction gives it a smooth, damp feel that inspires confidence for the woman exploring off piste and looking for secret stashes a few days after a storm. The thing that surprised me most for a ski in this width is how well it holds an edge; I would even call it grippy. Yet, when it is time to dig into moguls, the shape and flex release nicely and encouraged me to find more bumps.
  • Who is it for? A woman who wants a confidence-inspiring off-piste ski.
  • Who is it not for? Someone looking for skinny carver.
  • Insider tip: If you're looking for a lighter-weight ski, try it in the Alchemist construction.

Elan Ripstick 88W

Dimensions: 130-88-105
Radius: 15.4m@170cm
Sizes: 149, 156, 163, 170, 177
Size tested: 170

Many manufacturers are targeting the coveted top spot in the 88mm waist category, and Elan is not missing the boat. The Ripstick 88W is the newest addition to the Elan Ripstick line; with its Amphibio design, the skis are specific to left and right, which creates a balance of edge hold on the inside and great turn initiation with its slightly rockered outside tip. This ski definitely has what it takes to play in moguls and tear up the chopped powder; it will let you know why they call it a Ripstick.

• Who is it for? A lightweight woman looking for a playful off-piste ski.
  • Who is it not for? Heavier skiers.
  • Insider tip: If you’re looking for a little stronger ski, go to the Ripstick 94W.

Fischer My Ranger 96 Ti
Dimensions: 128-95-120
Radius: 17m@174cm
Sizes: 158, 166, 174
Size tested: 174

Fischer has been on my radar for a couple years after many years of not giving it a thought.
The My Ranger 96 Ti was one of a handful of skis that wowed me. At Snowbasin in chopped heavy powder, this ski just felt effortless. It sliced through crud, popped over covered moguls, and inspired me to find lines to challenge it. It took everything I threw at it and said, “What next?”

One thing I’d like to comment on is the attention to detail that the Fischer rep put into the skis. Each ski had a tag that included the specs of the ski and the tune that was put on it for the ski test.

IMG_0028.jpeg

• Who is it for? A woman looking for a responsive off-piste ski.
  • Who is it not for? I’m not sure.
  • Insider tip: Men's and women’s construction is the same.

Head Kore 93 W
Dimensions: 130-91-113
Radius: 15.4m@171cm
Sizes: 153, 162, 171
Size tested: 162
Design: All New (sort of)

For two seasons, men and women have been enjoying the Kore line because Head was savvy enough to build it in lengths as short as 153 cm, with scaled sizing to offer the same experience to skiers of all sizes. This year Head introduced the Kore W, adding a few splashes of color to the black Kore that we’ve grown accustomed to seeing. As noted in the specs, they are offering this graphic choice in 153, 162, and 171. How does the ski perform? Really well. Just as expected, this is a nimble ski to take you off the beaten path; it is narrow enough to make quick moves whenever you want to. Don’t let the W on the ski fool you, this ski is built to charge and make you happy to the Kore.

• Who is it for? A person looking for a great off-piste ski that powers through crud.
  • Who is it not for? Someone who’s not likely to get off piste.
  • Insider tip: If you can’t find one with a W, get the unisex version because they are the same construction.

Head Kore 99 W
Dimensions: 131-97-118
Radius: 15.1m@171cm
Sizes: 153, 162, 171
Size tested: 162
Design: All New (sort of)

As with the little sister in this lineup, Head has offered the Kore 99 in lengths as short as 153, but this time around it added a splash of color. The Kore 99 W is a powerful off-piste choice; it slices through heavy leftover snow and powers through death cookies. Turn initiation is better than most skis in this width, which I attribute to its scaled sizing. If you’re looking for a powerful off-piste charger, this could be the ski for you.

• Who is it for? A freeriding female.
  • Who is it not for? The mild-mannered maven.
  • Insider tip: If you can’t find the women’s version, get the unisex because they are the same construction.

K2 Mindbender 88Ti Alliance
Dimensions: 125-88-112
Radius: 14.7m@163cm
Sizes: 149, 156, 163, 170

The Mindbender 88Ti Alliance is a ski that will fill a need for a variety of women. At 88 underfoot, it has a surprising 14.7m turn radius that gives you confidence that you can turn when you want to. However, the shape and flex allow you to ski on a cat track without the tip trying to make you turn when you don't want to. There are a few skis that have inspired me to pop off rollers and catch a little air (and I do mean little); the 88Ti is most definitely one of them. Heck, when I followed Phil over a rollover and caught some surprise air, I knew this ski was solid enough to land and carry me into my next turn. See my Long-Term Review HERE.

• Who is it for? A woman who wants a responsive all-mountain ski.
  • Who is it not for? A skier who isn’t quite ready to get off the groomers.
  • Insider tip: If you need a ski longer than 170, look to the men’s side of the wall.

K2 Mindbender 98Ti Alliance

Dimensions: 134-98-120
Radius: 15.6m@168cm
Sizes: 154, 161, 168, 175
Size tested: 168

Big sister to the Mindbender 88Ti Alliance, the 98 brings a wider, stronger experience to the slopes for the woman who wants to charge the steeps. The Ti Y-Beam gives it the torsional grip you want when it's time to engage, yet maintains agility for quick maneuvers in trees, moguls, and chutes. After spending an extended amount of time on the 88Ti, I was excited to get out on the 98 at Mammoth, and I was not disappointed. We skied challenging conditions ranging from wind buff to cream cheese and chopped crud, and this ski handled it all like a dream. K2 has really outdone itself with this Mindbender collection.
  • Who is it for? A woman looking for a wider daily driver to charge steeps.
  • Who is it not for? The delicate flower.
  • Insider tip: K2 has taken its ski design to the next level.

Kästle DX85 W

Dimensions: 126-85-109
Radius: 14.5m@160cm
Sizes: 144, 152, 160, 168
Size tested: 160

As a part of Kästle’s all-new Vogue lineup, the DX85 W has a slightly different wood core than its narrower sister, the DX73 W, offering a slightly more lively feel that inspires you to get off the beaten path as well as slice up some corduroy. Go ahead and take her in the moguls; she loves them, too.

• Who is it for? When you are looking for a premium ski for every day.
  • Who is it not for? Someone who thinks “okay” is good enough.
  • Insider tip: Putting a 1°/2° tune on this ski makes it the ideal daily driver.

Kästle FX96 W
Dimensions: 133-96-119
Radius: 14m@164cm
Sizes: 156, 164, 172
Size tested: 164

This ski is proof that being a little fat is in Vogue. As you can imagine, the FX96 W is designed to take you off piste, play in the powder, and slay big lines. Can the 96 carve when you need to? Absolutely, but it really shines when you get off the groomed. I had the opportunity to ski it twice, both of which served up some challenging snow that ranged from leftover chopped powder to heavy snow. The FX96 W handled these conditions very well.

• Who is it for? Someone looking for a premium freeride ski.
  • Who is it not for? A woman who sticks to the groomers.
  • Insider tip: Pairing this ski with the DX73 W could be the ultimate two-ski quiver.

Liberty Evolv 90

Dimensions: 132-90-114
Radius: 18.5m@179cm
Sizes: 165, 172, 179, 186
Size tested: 172

This is a ski I was eager to try, but a good length for me was unavailable in early testing. Fortunately, Liberty's people brought it in a 172 while we were skiing Arapahoe Basin in May so I could get some mileage on it. While we were in Colorado, I barely had a chance to ski it because it was so popular among Pugskiers, but I've spent a fair amount of time on it since getting back to Tahoe. One of the most memorable days was a full day at Squaw taking a bump lesson in prime spring mogul conditions. Given the option, I would have picked in a 165, but the 172 was incredibly nimble and allowed me to ski moguls all day without letting me down. The question I have now is, 165 or 172?
  • Who is it for? A skier looking for a daily driver that has a sweet balance of off-piste fun and frontside tenacity.
  • Who is it not for? Boring Betty.
  • Insider tip: Don't overthink the length.

Liberty V82 W

Dimensions: 129-82-110
Radius: 12.5m@158cm
Sizes: 151, 158, 165
Size tested: 158, 165

Much like the Liberty V76 W, the 82 is good on groomers, playful in the moguls, and powerful in the trees. The primary difference is exactly what you’d expect with a ski that is 6 mm wider: it is just a little more stable for someone who is accustomed to a little wider ski, while it fills the spot in your quiver as a frontside-biased but bad-ass off-piste daily driver.

• Who is it for? Someone looking for versatility in a ski.
  • Who is it not for? Someone looking for a dull day.
  • Insider tip: Don’t overthink the size. I’ve had fun on both the 158 and 165.

Nordica Santa Ana 88
Dimensions: 119-88-107
Radius: 15m@165cm
Sizes: 151, 158, 165, 172
Size tested: 165

Recognized as a female influencer in the industry, I was granted the privilege of being one of the first women on the Santa Ana 88 when the Proto Project hit the slopes. After a trip to Smoothrides to refine the tune, I couldn’t get enough of this ski. With two sheets of metal and rocker-camber-rocker design, this ski absolutely crushes everything in its path and comes back asking for more. This is one of the few skis that feels like it breathes life back into ski legs. The thing that stands out most for me is that @AmyPJ and I ski very differently yet both love this ski. For more information, follow my Long-Term Review.

• Who is it for? Any woman who wants to crush it.
  • Who is it not for? When you have no desire to amp up your off-piste game.
  • Insider tip: I skied this in both the 165 and 172 and was happy on both.

Renoun Endurance 98 V3.0

Dimensions: 126-98-120
Radius: 17m@169cm
Sizes: 160, 169, 178, 184, 191
Size tested: 169
Design: Carryover

Renoun’s award-winning technology continues to shine in this Endurance 98 V3.0. While earlier versions were a tad stiff for someone my size, this one with triaxial fiberglass has a playful side that was missing in its predecessor. The eight HDT inlays maintain the supple feel that we’ve come to know and love in Renoun skis. It holds an edge on groomers and dances in moguls with just enough tip rocker to float when you get a surprise powder day. This is a ski that could easily be a Western one-ski quiver for someone who enjoys a narrower powder ski or a wider daily driver.
  • Who is it for? Someone looking for a premium Western daily driver
  • Who is it not for? Penny pinchers.
  • Insider tip: If you skied the predecessor and found it to be a little too stiff, give this new version a try.

Rossignol Black Ops 98W

Dimensions: Unpublished :huh:
Sizes: 162, 172
Size tested: 172

This ski was the surprise of the show for me -- which makes sense, because it seems like Rossignol intended it to be like a sleeper cell that takes the mountain by storm. When I asked the rep about the dimensions, he replied, “I could tell you but then I’d have to kill you.” That’s the mystery of this ski, its Black Ops. It is another ski that will take what the manky snow on the mountain throws at it and beg for more. The twin tip-style tail releases nicely and makes moguls seem effortless.

• Who is it for? A woman who wants to slay her secret stashes.
  • Who is it not for? A skier who isn't quite sure what her A game is.
  • Insider tip: Don’t even bother asking.

Völkl Kenja 88
Dimensions: 129-88-111
Radius: 16.8m@170cm
Sizes: 149, 156, 163, 170

Völkl is another manufacturer that has set its sights on the 88mm category. The Kenja 88 is a really nice ski for the advancing female skier who is looking for a ski to cover more of the mountain. This is a fine carving ski with a bias toward crud and bumps, and the only place where I felt like it was a little off was in a section of chopped heavy powder that was hardening up and very challenging as a result. But to be honest, I was a little burned out and am not sure if there is any ski that would handle that well.

• Who is it for? A woman looking for a ski to advance skills.
  • Who is it not for? The timid.
  • Insider tip: For a quicker turn, go down a size.

---------------------------------------------------------

In wrapping up this particular category, you may notice a common thought in some of these reviews. It is clear that several manufacturers have targeted the ski that has been the top seller for more than five years (you know which one I'm talking about); they have honed in on the bull's eye and are hitting their mark. Most of the time, I feel that these all-new skis have surpassed their goal and are poised to take the lead. Standouts for me are the K2 Mindbender 88Ti Alliance, Nordica Santa Ana 88, and Elan Ripstick 88W, each of which is an exceptional ski with slightly different characteristics. Stay tuned for a more in-depth comparison.

Last edited:

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for the reviews, @Tricia!

That Elan Ripstick 88w sounds perfect for my 12 year old. Any idea how it compares to the (previous generation) Ripstick 86w? Those are available for much lower prices....

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks for the reviews, @Tricia!

That Elan Ripstick 88w sounds perfect for my 12 year old. Any idea how it compares to the (previous generation) Ripstick 86w? Those are available for much lower prices....
Trying to think back on the 86w, IIRC when I skied the 88 I was surprised how well it held an edge. Now I feel like I need to try one of the previous gen 86's again.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A few more reviews have been added to this line up, including the Renoun Endurance 98 V3.0, K2 Mindbender 98Ti Alliance, DPS Uschi 94, and Liberty Evolv 90

Ulmerhutte

Getting on the lift
Skier
I am doing some research for my wife. She is currently on the 2018 version of the FX95HP, in 166(?)cm. Loves them, but looking to get new skis this year. The men’s version of the new FX96 sounds like a similar ski to the FX95HP, while the reviews of the FX96W sound like that ski is a softer/detuned version. Is that a fair comment?

My wife’s concern is that the shortest FX96 Men’s is 172cm, which she feels is too long.

The other ski currently on the radar is the Stöckli SR95.

We spend 2 months in St Anton, skiing the whole mountain, ie some of everything, depending on what the snow gods deliver on each day. Powder is obviously what we crave, but the reality is that often the conditions require that the ski be stable in a high-speed tuck (plenty of places where that is needed), able to plow through crud, and hold an edge on ice.

The FX95HP seems to do it all for her. Will the FX96W do it, or will it feel like a downgrade? Thoughts anybody?

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hmmmmm, I really didn't feel like the FX 96 W was dumbed down at all. Also, I recall liking the FX95HP a few years back, but candidly I didn't get on the unisex skis from Kästle this year because I ran out of time.

Tiki

The Pirate’s Daughter
Skier
@Tricia I wish Kastle would have brought us something between the 156 and 166 length. I’m 5’4” 145 lbs. I like the confidence and stability Kastle delivered me when I tried the FX95 (157) for 3 days in Alta Does the FX96 W ski short?

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Tricia I wish Kastle would have brought us something between the 156 and 166 length. I’m 5’4” 145 lbs. I like the confidence and stability Kastle delivered me when I tried the FX95 (157) for 3 days in Alta Does the FX96 W ski short?
I thought I replied to this yesterday, sorry...
Kästle's sizing in 10 cm increments has been something I've lamented over for 10+ years.
It could be better if it were 156, 163, 170....

Tiki

The Pirate’s Daughter
Skier
Agreed. I guess we’ll just put new sizing on the Christmas Wish List.
I thought I replied to this yesterday, sorry...
Kästle's sizing in 10 cm increments has been something I've lamented over for 10+ years.
It could be better if it were 156, 163, 170....