• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Trek's new XC bike - suspension shot.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
66807148_10157396983978555_262905878879928320_n.jpg

Interesting design. I wonder if the static position is in the middle andit has much negative travel as postive.

Jolanda Neff has been riding this bike already on the WC but this is the first time I have seen it with no shroud on.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The 2020 Top Fuel has bumped up the travel to 120 front/115 rear (I BELIEVE that's correct for the rear.) I've heard buzzings that the Fuel EX is going up to 140/140. That leaves me in a quandary for next year's ride. If the 140 is still as efficient as my current Fuel EX, then it's a no-brainer. If not, I might consider switching to the Top Fuel. I spend way too much climbing here to be less efficient at it.

I also saw a new paint job for the Remedy. :drool: If the Fuel has the same paint job, I'll be grabbing one ASAP!

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Honestly you can alway over fork a short travel bike and kinda have the best of both worlds....I think having equal travel is not really needed on most thing, but I will say 140 heck even 160mm of travel will pedal find seated for sure, and standing really depends on the suspension curves shock tune more than actual amount of travel.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Geometry plays a role, right?
I don't want to mess around with changing out suspension. That gets spendy and since I typically only keep a bike for one season, I don't know that it would really be worth it.

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
yeah you end up with higher BB and slacker head angle by going to a longer fork than what is specced. Most forks these days in that range can be shortern or extended pretty easily just by internal changing.

Geo matter for climbing for sure but most bikes these days have such a steep seat tube that climb well and honestly making it slacker with a longer travel fork normally does nt affect as much as you would think. My Giant Trance has a 140/160 travel fork you can adjust on the fly unless the climbing is really steep Ill usually not notice if I left it in 160 mode, conversely unless it gnarly chunky descending I hardly notice 140 on the way down. with that said while riding the bike you can clearly feel the difference as soon as you chance it.

Getting back to the trek. I honesty would be fine riding a 1005mm rear travel. but would probably want 140mm of front travel for fun riding at the very least. You can also use taller fork and run them more into the sag if you want as well.

Long story short if you under stand what is being changed the factory set up isnt always best for everyone or best for anyone.... Take my Honzo for instances that bike is basically unridable on 120mm fork because you get so many pedal strikes, 140mm fork and you suddenly have less pedal strikes, and IMO a better riding bike that sags out to 120mm anyways. HJardtails are funny though as the geometery IMO should be slacker than FS because as the suspesnion compresses you are just making the bike steeper ,where as FS compressing both front and rear doesnt really happen.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I'd like to see more of that. How is the seatstay attached t that slider thingy? Is there any kind of bearing at all, or do the seatstays have to flex? Is there a pivot near the dropout?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
From what I see it looks like it would be on the lighter side. Does it have a dropper?

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Jolandas has a dropper . the rear frame flexes to allow the suspension to move.

Sponsor