• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Trek Supercaliber

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Looks like a pretty fun bike. I feel like this video has a Pugski cameo in it, but I'm not sure. You guys be the judge.

As for the name, doesn't it seem wrong to call it a Supercaliber and not have Gary Fisher not the downtube?

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Ahhh Trek does the funnest videos. I'm guessing those will be popular around here among the race crowd. I'd love to try one!

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Wow that ad was really funny.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sigh, so many bikes out there...this one looks really fun!

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Reminds me of the old Cannondale "softails" but the design is genius. Looks amazing for the smoother trails in Co. with lots of climbing.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I admit I'm not really good in all that geeky tech things, knowing every single detail, especially not when it comes to rear suspension and all those things like single pivots, horst link, twin link etc. makes absolutely no sense to me... I still ride because it's fun, not because certain bike has 0.17mm more travel or something, but honestly I don't see all that much difference between this or let's say Specialized Epic, Canyon Lux, Orbea Oiz, which all have their rear suspension done very similar way, just packed into frame a bit less nicely as Trek does. Would someone who's more into this, care to explain difference and why this is so revolutionary, as for someone like me, it looks very much same, as any of previously mentioned bikes.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Would someone who's more into this, care to explain difference and why this is so revolutionary, as for someone like me, it looks very much same, as any of previously mentioned bikes.

It's not. IMHO it's barely FS. I like that it seems like a pure race bike when it seems like these days so many of the bikes in this category are sort of "free race" now.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I honestly don't see difference. Barely FS because of what? Because it has "only" 60mm travel instead of 100mm like most of xc bikes have? For me it looks pretty much normal FS bike. Of course there's whole bunch of PR on their site how IsoStrut is integrated into frame and therefore super light. But bike is still less then 200g lighter then for example Canyon Lux... based on Canyon/Trek statement, which is of course impossible to compare as depends on size, equipment etc., but just frame, which still depends what size they weighted is 1.66kg for Canyon Lux and 1.96kg for Trex Supercaliber, which means it's not all that light. Unless, which I would assume with such weight difference, Canyon weighted their frame without rear shock, but with standard shock for this bike (Fox Float DPS Factory) would add 250g, making it 1.91kg
Just based on this what I could see on web about IsoStrut I would say it's really just visual thing compared to other similar bikes. Sure outer tube of "suspension" is fully attached from and back on frame, but that doesn't play role, as seat stays are still attached to shock only, similar to any other bike, which is normal as otherwise suspension wouldn't work at all. Rear pivot is nowadays pretty much exception and not rule for most of modern xc FS bikes, as most of them have "flex pivot" or whatever certain company calls it, exactly same thing that Supercaliber has now.
Again, I certainly don't know anything/enough about suspension, but I'm fairly technical type, so just seing this, doesn't really make me thing it's anything but very short travel FS bike. And even that not so super short, as 60 vs 100 is still not that huge difference. And nowadays with remote lockouts I definitely don't see issues with 100mm rear travel, but when you unlock it, 100mm rides faster on downhill then 60mm or 0mm.

scott43

Skier
I think you have to remember primoz, there is a huge fashion angle to cycling... Maybe not there so much but definitely here. Skiing is the same.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@scott43 I know this :) I would say skiing is not even close to be same. When you look at how much PR bs people buy so easily in cycling, I don't think there's any other sport on world that would be similar to this. Sure there's whole bunch of PR and fashion elsewhere too, but stuff in cycling is phenomenal for me. Or maybe PR guys in cycling are real geniuses, which is also an option.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
IMO -- as covered hilariously in the video -- in order to understand this bike, you have to compare it to an XC race hardtail, not a 100 mm full suspension race bike.

For me, in every single conceivable use scenario, I'd take this new bike over my Procaliber hardtail without hesitation.

In fact, my XL Procaliber hardtail will likely go up for sale soon.

As far as its intended use on the World Cup XC race circuit, how the heck should I know?! I'm pretty quick, but those riders are the 1% of the 1% of the 1%. Regular Joes can't even begin to imagine.....

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Apparently demand is great, because Trek isn't allowing employee purchases of them through the usual employee channels.
Sure wish the 2020 Fuel EX would be ready to ship already...

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Any bike with ‘caliber’ in the name should have a Gary Fisher logo plastered on it.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sure wish the 2020 Fuel EX would be ready to ship already...

Amen. I think mine is scheduled to ship near the end of this month.

Trek treats me well, but I have to say that I don't get the recent MO of announcing a cool new bike through all the usual channels, then not having it available to purchase.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Amen. I think mine is scheduled to ship near the end of this month.

Trek treats me well, but I have to say that I don't get the recent MO of announcing a cool new bike through all the usual channels, then not having it available to purchase.
I'm with you on that. We're both anxiously awaiting getting that new bike!

Sponsor

Staff online