• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Trek Roscoe?

OnEdge

Putting on skis
Skier
I bought my wife a 2020 Roscoe 7 for Mothers Day. I significant gamble on my part that worked out.

Seems like a lot of bike for the $$$. I've been impressed with in when playing around loading on the rack, and seems like it would be a fun ride. It's not light.

Hard to provide any real specifics, as my wife is a pretty casual rider. Went for the 7 to get the RockShox fork for what I thought was a reasonable upcharge. My older daughter may take it over in a few years.

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Yeah I'd be going from 26lbs to 32lbs..that's a hit. But for the money..I have a hard time opening the wallet for more than $1500 or $2k on a bike...

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Have you been able to even get your hands on one? Bikes in that price range are hard to come by right now. That being said, they are pretty good bang for the buck.

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
No rush..I can wait..I might be able to bump up to $2k if i get good dough for my current 29er..
We'll see.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
No rush..I can wait..I might be able to bump up to $2k if i get good dough for my current 29er..
We'll see.

Where u at? What size MTB you use?

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have a Roscoe 8. Very pleased with it. Was on a racy 29er before, and the Roscoe is so much more forgiving and confidence inspiring in the tech. Yes, it’s heavy and has little snap compared to the 29er, but for just plain old trail riding it is da bomb. Spec is decent, though nothing to write home about. For the money I’m definitely not complaining.

OnEdge

Putting on skis
Skier
In terms of availability, I went to the LBS in early May and while they were concerned they found one to order. Showed up 10 days later.

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
I got my 29er as a sort of Swiss Army knife. I used it for asphalt, gravel and XC. Now that I have a road bike that I actually like the asphalt and gravel bit has been removed. So I'm looking more for a true XC bike but maybe more trail as well. So the weight thing isn't a huge deal and sloppy is more tolerable.

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
@scott43 if you wanted a XC bike what about the Trek X-Caliber ? I am not a 'mountain' biker per se (I have a Yamaha dirt bike for that) nor am I a road biker, but I do have a X-Caliber that I use on local fire roads, trails and roads basically for supplemental cardio.
I am happy with the bike, and very happy with Trek customer service.

Last edited:
TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
Yeah that's sort of my second thought. It's more like what I have now and I wanted to go a little more slack in the front, more front centre. Originally I was looking at the X-Caliber 8 or 9. That may be where I settle..we'll see.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Rosco 7 has pretty good specs for the price. Better than my kid's 2017 kona kahuna but i got lucky just finding a bike in good shape for $850. Just weighed the kahuna 30 lbs small frame 29" wheels.

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anybody have any Intel? Thanks!

I've got a casual trail riding sis that loves hers. She says it gives her enough cush without the bother of rear suspension (sadly, her career demands LONG work days.....during prime riding season).

@scott43 if you wanted a XC bike what about the Trek X-Caliber ? I am not a 'mountain' biker per se (I have a Yamaha dirt bike for that) nor am I a road biker, but I do have a X-Caliber that I use on local fire roads, trails and roads basically for supplemental cardio.
I am happy with the bike, and very happy with Trek customer service.

IIRC, the little secret is that the X-Caliber and Roscoe share the same frame, but use different wheel sizes.

For actual mtb riding, at my advancing age at least, I'd want the Roscoe's 27.5+ tires on a hardtail at a minimum, and would probably actually follow @Ron down the full-on 29+ road.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
if you re going to go the + route with 2.8-3.0 tires, go 29'r. You aren't giving up anything and you will lose out on the incredible roll-over and climbing prowess.

Sponsor