• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Alba Adventures

Getting on the lift
Skier
I got stuck in a tree well at Mad River Glen a few years back. Tight tree line - that all the kids went down - and of course I had to follow my kids. It had just snowed about 20 inches or so.. and the next thing you know, I was in the well. 3:30ish ... Lucky my face wasn't covered though body was. I started to yell for help - though nada.. The kids were all worried and I was too.. The pitch was steep - and since I was head first going downhill, I noticed that some of the snow starting to slide out.. I then decided, well I better start to move and maybe this will give enough for me to get out, though worried that the snow on the high side would give in and cover me. I got lucky - the snow beneath me just gave way and I slid with it enough to get leverage to pull myself, with skis fully on out. It was now about 4pm.

A bit cold, though relieved....

Doby Man

Out on the slopes
Skier
Over terrained? Tree well bait. Over reliant on technology? Tree well bait. Struggling to keep up with better skiers? Tree well bait. Defiant rope ducker? Tree well bait. Too many beers at lunch? Tree well bait. Cover shot wannabe? Tree well bait. Just smoked some unfamiliar pot? Tree well bait. (well … maybe) Foggy goggles? Tree well bait. Zigged when you shoulda zagged? Tree well bait. “What’s a snow snake?” Tree well bait. No friends on a powder day? Tree well bait. No friends? No worries, the tree well just may spit you out.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
There were two tree well fatalities in the British Columbia last weekend. One was inbounds in Fernie, another in the Whitewater side country.

Stay safe out there!

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
One thing that may have been mentioned earlier but is worth repeating is don't use pole straps when tree or deep snow skiing.

I had a head first crash in unconsolidated deep snow a few years ago and I arched my back and fought to keep my head up. I let go of my poles but I had my straps around my wrists and I could feel the poles dragging me down and resisting my attempts to keep my head up.

When I went heli skiing with CMH they insisted that everyone use shorter poles than their own poles. I figured it was BS because based on conditions there wasn't going to be any real deep snow. I also figured that it was so they could make sure that everyone had poles with no straps and they probably didn't want to tell you that it was a safety thing, but it was.

I decided not to tell the CMH guide that my poles were short enough, so I just went along with it and took the shorter poles.

Sponsor

Staff online