• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Traverse etiquette

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yeah, I agree with that. Alta's High T of course is legendary for that. I understand the frustration, I get frustrated sometimes, but actually pushing people out of the way is going a little far. The thing is, the person in front of you isn't probably going to ski your line. If everyone waits, it's the same order, just a few seconds later than it would have been, and if you pass them (nicely), you're in even better shape than you would have been if you were behind some bros who were faster than you. So if the traverse is the only way into an area, and it isn't a major safety issue, I don't mind slow. A little slow, not a lot.
The only thing that I hope traverse newbs figure out are the dips and blind spots.
There is one on the East wall just around the bend and a big dip where people sometimes stop in a bad spot.

Case in point, like the situation Eric267 describes here
At the last seccond while diving into the dip I realized they were not moving and did a speed check (so as not to launch off the lip on the other side and knock them off the cornice) and ended up not quite making it up the high side and was forced to fall over and pull myself up over the lip. Like WTF!?!? If someone had been behind me we could have been in big trouble since they would not have been expecting me to not make it up at the speed I'd been keeping out the entire traverse previously

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Hate to be the fred here, but I find there to be a huge lack of civility on a lot of traverses at certain ski areas. At Snowbird this year, got lured onto Road to Provo, which is usually a groomed blue but had not been touched for several deep days. It had developed into a double-diamond traverse -- whoop-de-doo's that were knee to thigh high and an uphill wall that was up to my shoulders, combined with a track that was originally set with a lot of downhill. I was not the only one struggling -- folks were crashing and burning all around. At the same time, young hotshots were cruising through yelling obscenities at those of us stopped above or below the track and even skiing over other people's skis. While I understand some of the frustration, I was bummed by the aggro attitude that seemed predominant. A little patience and graciousness would have gone a long way there.

No doubt and totally agree that thing was a scrum the particular Sat I referenced above and in the same shape, we finally just said screw it and skied between “old ladies” and “shireen” by the time we got to Little Cloud - it was toast.

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
From what I see the " Your in My Line Bro " are the same people that traverse every where below the track, At SB mineral basin towards Bookends is famous for this. Hopefully they will get old and slower and figure it out.

skix

Out on the slopes
Skier
The only thing that I hope traverse newbs figure out are the dips and blind spots.
There is one on the East wall just around the bend and a big dip where people sometimes stop in a bad spot.

I was thinking of that very spot while reading this thread. Takes some skill, some practice, and knowing the squirrely line to get through there with momentum left. You need to retain speed since you have to limp across the runout from the first few upper East Wall runs if you don't. But if you keep enough speed to get up the dip you may end up saying a very close hello to a gaggle of people at the top. It's a terrible spot to stop since it blocks anyone who wants to traverse and there's not much time to react when they are draped across the track. But must seem like a great spot for those who want to sit in the snow and look at the amazing views of the East Wall and beyond.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
It's strongly discouraged at Kicking Horse.

People ignore it though :( But sometimes the traverses will be reminded with a friendly: "SKI THE FALL LINE" or "GO BACK TO CALGARY!" :roflmao:

mar 186.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online