• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
A boot bag designed to have the boot “standing up” is likely not going to fit into the overhead and certainly not under the seat. Buy a bad that has the boots laying on their side in a cuff to toe configuration.
Oh, it'll fit in the overhead (except the puddle jumpers).

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
It's easy to carry your boots if you use the overhead. The real trick is go without any checked luggage. I can do that if I rent skis but there's no room for a laptop, so that's a bonus. My checked skis cost me an hour at DIA on my last trip to Denver.

And if you think it's OK to check luggage with Southwest because it's free, keep in mind that SW is the only major airline that doesn't read barcodes every step of the way. If they lose something they have no idea where it is. I know that because my skis were behind the the baggage agent's office in Denver. I was lucky I saw them when they opened the door to the back room.

dm

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Oh, it'll fit in the overhead (except the puddle jumpers).

For sure, but on those flights most of the time you can jetway check it and then they give it back to you in the jetway as you de-plane (messed up term for sure). I don’t mind this when forced to do it as it does not get into the normal checked baggage system.

Once you have to collect things at the baggage carousel all bets are off

James

Out There
Instructor
Why do y'all put boots under the seat and not in the overhead?
- Confused in Canarsie

In Aspen/Snowmass there used to be companies that rent everything - snow pants, jackets, goggles etc. I assume they're still around. I guess there's a need because there are so many luggage issues flying in. Others just don't need to acquire that stuff.

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
Mine do, but I wear a 24.5.

My boots are 26.0. I can usually get my boots and knee brace in my carry on bag. Typically I can get about 2-3 days of clothes in the carry on also. My helmet usually goes in my wife's carry on with her helmet. But now my wife has her own boots, so her luggage will be off base for me. I was thinking that I could either keep packing the way I have been and put helmet in a backpack (under the seat). But I feel that I could pack the carry on better without the boots in there and put the boots (only) under the seat.

James

Out There
Instructor
I've actually seen people wearing their helmet as a hat going through boarding. They get looked at funny but it's legal.
Hell on Spirit, where they charge for a carry on, (also water, snacks, food), you might wear the whole ski outfit with boots. Fill up the pockets. Then carry clothes in a small back pack. Forget skis though.

Sponsor

Staff online