• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Eddie

Booting up
Skier
Not sure where to post this. Feel free to move this if need be. I remember one time a PITA bringing my skis and boots to the airport, lugging them around, checking them in. Same at my destination, lugging them, luggage and boots around to the shuttle, or car rental, etc, etc. Also now reading about size restrictions for carry-on, affecting boot bags. I see they have Ship Sticks for golf. Great idea. Anyone know of anything for skiing, or how to do something similar. If I had the money, and backing I wouldn't mind starting something up for this. Any opinions on this and think it would take off?
Thanks.

TS
E

Eddie

Booting up
Skier
Yup. Didn't realize there was a Ship Skis, same company as Ship Sticks, who replied to an Email I sent them. I should have done more research before posting. DUH!!!!!
I do agree about boots go carry on. Yet have to research new carry on sizing now. I read a thread here on that. I now have an older bag for boots, and helmet, gloves, etc too.

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
Connect your boot straps together and sling the boots over your shoulder. Not that big an inconvenience, no problem with TSA (some inspectors do spend a few seconds scratching their head), and you save space in the carry on for other items.

Common carry-on luggage maximum for many airlines is now 22"x14"x9". Check the airline you'll fly for their max. You may be able to find some sort of bag your boots will lay flat and nest into. Expect your airline to reduce this max while you read this.

On my trip to Switzerland last year I had a max-size wheeled carry-on, the boots over my shoulder, my ski back stuffed with skis wrapped in clothing for protection...;)...and a boot bag with my walking-around boots, helmet, gloves, etc. So there I was walking through the shops in Paris' Charles de Gaulle Airport with ski boots dangling.... Only one check-in; the ski & boot bags count as one. Ditto for my flight to Jackson Hole.

James

Out There
Instructor
If you use a ski back pack where the boots strap on the outside, you can take them off when you're going into the plane or security. Hang on shouldet. Then reattach to the back pack in the airport. Doing this I've carried that pack, boots over the shoulder, and a regular back pack on a plane.
The pack with boots attached was a Synch bag. It's way too huge with the boots strapped on for a plane, but much more convienient for airports, trains, transfers, to have them attached.

James

Out There
Instructor
Will a boot bag with just boots fit under the seat?
Kind of doubt it. Maybe a small one. But loose boots should sort of. Mine usually go loose in the overhead. I usually put cat tracks on them so they're a little softer when they bump into stuff. Loose boots do get tiring.

I was thinking of getting a hard shell carry on, putting them in there. Just because I'm tired of lugging them. Then using the small backpack for first day ski clothes. Helmet becomes an issue with a small pack.

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yes, as long as things (helmet/clothes) are above or behind my boots, not on the sides. There are no extra pockets or partitions, just the single internal compartment. If the helmet + other stuff is in there, it only fits under a Southwest middle seat. I also have the Medium Men's Giro Range Helmet which is a low profile/smaller helmet. I don't know whether this works for a standard sized helmet.

It otherwise is an awkward bag to carry because it's so long and thin, and feels weird as a backpack, and doesn't attach to the top of luggage well. I've switched to the Kulkea Powder Trekker which definitely doesn't fit under the seat but travels better overall. I'm taking it to Denver for the second time this weekend and packing is much easier.

P.S. I can fit everything I need in the Athalon to go from the airplane to the slopes (assuming I'm wearing my jacket and at least one layer on the plane) without having to open luggage.

Last edited:

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Salomon "go to ski". Not sure if it's still available. Lots of room and it's a backpack style. No problems with Air Canada last March for the Gathering. And AC is a PITA for just about everything!!

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
I have a small bag that holds boots, helmet, goggles and gloves, and usually fits under the seat. It doesn't leave much room for my feet and sometimes I have to take one boot out of it, but it still works for me. I don't check anything but my skis, and sometimes I rent skis depending on what's in my current quiver.

dm

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have yet to fly with my boot bag (10 days until the first test), but it is the Dakine 50 or 55L bag. I can fit boots, helmet, socks gloves, and likely a tightly folded and rolled up ski pant and jacket and it looks like it will fit in the overhead. Worst case scenario is I take out the helmet to fit it in the overhead. Not a big deal as people put their “hats” in the overhead all the time.

When packing, leave NO space in your boots or helmet. If you have ever packed a backpack for camping you know what I am talking about. Roll up your stuff tightly and you would be amazed what can fit in there. Space bags would be another idea to really load it up, then it just becomes a matter of how comfortable you are carrying a heavy bag through the airport.

Trip home is EZPZ, just pack it in the checked luggage (except for the boots of course) and the boot backpack will be nice and light.

A boot bag designed to have the boot “standing up” is likely not going to fit into the overhead and certainly not under the seat. Buy a bad that has the boots laying on their side in a cuff to toe configuration.

Sponsor

Staff online