• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Can I ask why you want your skis and boots in one bag?

Two reasons not to do that :
1) Airlines treat a bootbag and ski bag as one item if you check both of them
2) You may want to carry your boots onto the flight to ensure they arrive at your destination

I don't know that I've ever seen a ski bag meant to carry boots too, but haven't looked very hard.
some of the bags do show room for a pair of boots in addition. But the specs are just not so clear.

its got to do with restrictions. Combining boots in with skis would allow for extra bags. What I mean is if each person uses up one (ski/boot) limit and I have all four us do that there would be extra fees involved for any extra bag luggage wise. With united a second bag of luggage is the same cost as a ski&boot bags combo.

So if I fit 2 skis and one boots in each of two bags what I will have is this. I will have 2 people with a first bag plus a second (ski bag). Then a 3rd person would utilize a fee for a second luggage (being a bag with the other 2 pairs of boots. Then the 4th person would still be left with another option for a second luggage bag. And all that would be the same price extra for each person.
If I do each ski/boot individually pp than we would all use up our second bag quota. Then if we end up with extra luggage it would have to fall into a 3rd bag category for one of us and that then gets more expensive. I don't like to deal with on flight carryon's. I mean sure if I was solo and everything could fit but since we'll be checking bags anyway we may as well check all except for a snack, and accessory carryon.
Plus combining stuff works to end up with less carrying of bags all together. Does that make sense? IDK

My skis in general are a concern for on time arrival but preship is darn expensive and almost ridiculously so.

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
I suppose I need to recalculate how best to go about this. I suppose much depends on amounts of regular luggage for the fam.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
It makes sense - theoretically you could check four pairs of skis and four pairs of boots in three bags, rather than four. But that's not how most people travel with ski gear.

The usual recommendation on most forums would be for each person to carry their boots on in a carry-on bag. Then you don't have to worry about them arriving. Or people check their own skis and ski bags as one item per person.

Given that, it might be rare to find any bags meant to carry that much. They would be larger and heavy as well.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Also, don’t forget about the 50lb limit.

My Dakine double ski bag (concourse?) has a compartment intended for boots, but I’ve never put boots in there.

For our family of 4 we pack 2 double ski bags of skis and a bit of clothes and then 2 regular luggage for the rest of the clothes. Then each of us carries on our boots.

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
My boy has one of these. Up to 190cm length. When him and his wife come to visit they can fit pretty much all their gear into this one bag plus a carry on each. And there pack rats!

http://www.park2peak.com/Volkl-All-Pro-Ski-Gear-Bag-Ski-Bag-p/volklallprobag.htm?1=1&CartID=0

I use a single ski bag when I travel so don't know a lot about the doubles. I do know that you will probably need a lot less après clothes than you think. Especially if you are staying in a condo/house with a washer/drier. Fill your ski boots with whatever you can and wear your jacket onto the plane to save space. Personally I like having my boots with me on the plane. If your bag gets lost you can just demo skis, but renting boots would suck

Last edited:
TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
IMo carryons have gotten to be a pain. I mean nowadays with checked luggage expenses everyone is going the carryon route. The whole darn process is all about boarding out of turn where everyone is trying selfishly to gain the overhead space for there luggage. And many of the bags are cheating in size. To be honest if every passenger brought carryons in lieu of checked we wouldn't fit 1/2 the luggage on board. As it is you end up with too many people with their carryons under the seat in the already small overcrowded seats.

IDK flying use to be nice but like so many other things it has become unpleasant. Less and less food offered, whatever happened to blankets and pillows, more and more seats squeezed in, overbooked flights is common, even selecting seats together with a fam often gets smeared apart. Evryone jumping ahead to hog the overheads with no common courtesy at all. Its really become an unpleasant task rather than a nice thing to do. Sorry just ranting, Im done...lol

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If you're flying United, you sign up for their credit card and then first bag for everyone on your shared itinerary is free.

If you are considering 2skis+boots, then you will be right there at about the 50lb limit; especially if you have 2sets of fat adult mens skis. Hardcase or wheels will put you over.

The problem with your math above is that you have 4 people each checking a regular suitcase in addition to the skis luggage, so you are assuming everybody's CheckedBag#1 is already used by clothes and other junk. This doesn't make sense to me. If you're in the weeds doing the math to combine ski luggage, and assuming you want to check all your non-skis; you should also be combining the Clothes luggage and reducing that down to one or two Full-Size checked 50lb luggage, not 4 carry-on sized rollers that you end up checking. If your group of 4 can't get by on a trip without taking 100lbs of non-hardgoods, I think that is on you. If you can't fit into 2 big suitcases, you should be able to get the extras into small backpacks or maybe 1 or 2 carry-on compatible sized rollers. You wear your bulky ski jackets and helmets and take them with you on the plane. For 4 seats, you should be able to find space for 1 roller. If it is that packed, then the flight will gate-check.

So at most you should have only 2 Bag#2s for the 4 of you, not 4 or 5.

The other alternative is buy some First Class/Business Class tickets then you can have at it with the baggage and they won't treat you like cattle

Last edited:

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've used sportubes the last 7 or 8 years. After damage being done with my skis in a soft bag I'll never go any other way.

If anyone wants to sell off one that will fit a pair of Motive 95's, let me know, I'm in the market.

For shipping, you would probably want to box them, and make sure you bring packaging tape with you to repackage for return shipment. But I doubt you'll be able to ship them for anything near a $25 baggage fee

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm a new fan of the Douchebag ski bag, having bought it over the summer and used it this past week going to Jackson Hole. It will hold two pairs of skis, poles and boots at just under 50 pounds. I say it will because I carried the boots on, but put the boots in with the skis to travel to the off site car rental locatIon. The ski bag is very well designed, IMO.

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a Dakine Double Fall Line. I also have a Double Concourse, but I don’t use it for air travel any more - it’s just too heavy, and although it will hold a ton of gear, the capacity is kind of useless when you need to keep the bag under 50lbs.

The Fall Line is great. Much lighter than the Concourse, and if I’m traveling by myself, holds a pair of skis (usually 185 to 190cm), poles and everything I need for a week. I carry on boots and a few other things.

Two pairs of skis and poles fit comfortably with maybe 10lbs of other stuff under the 50lb limit.

I’ve been lucky enough that I’ve managed to avoid any damage to my skis in maybe 20 round trip flights using soft bagss. The incidence of skis being damaged in transit is so small that whatever additional risk I’m taking on by using a soft case is more than offset by the additional hassle, weight and packing limitations I’m avoiding by not using a hard case.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
I used soft bags for years.. I'd wrap my bindings in bubble wrap.. the gorillas in baggage still managed to bang them up.
Now I have a double sport tube. It fits my Atomics and My fat skis and 1 pr poles. I don't add extra anything. I carry my boot bag w/ski clothes, helmet on the way out, I check it coming home.

Everyone is correct when TSA takes them apart they sometimes screw up putting back. Last trip home Delta FORGOT to put the Pin back in!!
Pin holds the case together. I am going to tie a lanyard on the pin to the handle and hope the TSA remembers. I bought additional pin
and brake elastic 'just in case" I feel better using the sport tube after having my skis banged up in soft bag.. If I used a Soft bag I'd be packing my sweaters/other clothes around my skis but maybe I'm weird, I don't want TSA touching my clothes, going thru them..

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
FWiW, have only used soft bags (padded). Even when flying internationally a lot, only had a telemark binding damaged. Airline fessed up, and I had the problem sorted, paid for, and resolved in about three days. Never had an issue with alpine gear.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
padded soft bag for me too. ski straps in addition to the bags tiedowns. and old beach towel to cushion the bindings and pole sharp bits.

yes it will still get dinged up and the bag will get slid and dragged.
but for the most part remember your skis generally are not so fragile. they go through far more stress every time you crash or eat a mogul.

djetok

Low Lander
Skier
When I fly I typically on take one pair of skis. I use a soft bag and I wrap my skis with my ski clothes, even though my bag is padded. I have never had a problem losing my stuff. We do have a direct to DIA though.

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
ok so I think im leaning towards the Dakine fall line bag. I just got off the phone with Dakine. The bag is sometimes (at some sellers sites) called a double but in reality their is only one bag but it does come in 175cm and 190 cm.

It will fit two pairs plus one pair boots as well as the poles. It gets good write-ups but one of things it misses is traps to hold the skis. They tell me they use to have them but got rid of them due to complaints that when strapped down the skis would tare the lining. So now Im not really understanding what holds the skis from flopping around and banging each other.

Im thinking of those small air shipping pillows to fill the voids nicely should do the trick petty well. You know, those small air pillows. They are cheap and can buy a good amount of them inexpensively. Maybe some bubble wrap around each ski too so as to protect one ski from banging against another.

Whether I pack boots or not I don't yet now for sure what Ill do. I figure for now I would buy one bag ad experiment and f happy buy the other. If not happy return it.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Does anyone know of a bag that would be suitable for one pair of normal downhill skis (90mm wide, 185cm long) AND one pair of X/C skis (215 cm long). It's the length of the X/C skis that makes most bags unsuitable.....

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Does anyone know of a bag that would be suitable for one pair of normal downhill skis (90mm wide, 185cm long) AND one pair of X/C skis (215 cm long). It's the length of the X/C skis that makes most bags unsuitable.....
You most likely have to find an old maybe used bag to hold 215 CM. I have not seen one that long in years. Good Luck

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
Also, don’t forget about the 50lb limit.

My Dakine double ski bag (concourse?) has a compartment intended for boots, but I’ve never put boots in there.

For our family of 4 we pack 2 double ski bags of skis and a bit of clothes and then 2 regular luggage for the rest of the clothes. Then each of us carries on our boots.
Scott
I have mucho sympathy for the Dad in a family of 4 when it comes to transporting gear. Whenever I see these groups in an airport, I start humming the Rolling Stone tune "Let me be your beast of burden".

OldJeep

Getting off the lift
Skier
Scott
I have mucho sympathy for the Dad in a family of 4 when it comes to transporting gear. Whenever I see these groups in an airport, I start humming the Rolling Stone tune "Let me be your beast of burden".

Even with 2 people it is terrible with multiple skis. About 4 years ago I gave up on flying for ski trips and started driving out west again like we did when we were in college. It takes a little longer, but you are on your own schedule in your own truck and don't have to worry about airport issues or weather. Went out to Nastar Nationals a few years ago in Steamboat and almost half the participants were delayed due to the huge snowstorm that weekend.

To answer the original question - I always used a sport tube, which was a mixed bag. Good protection but they couldn't seem to figure out how to close it half the time - Monoski and 2 pairs of regular skis in it.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Scott

Now that they are able to help with the carrying, it’s not too bad. Although I don’t remember all that well when they weren’t...maybe we didn’t have as much stuff. I find it more difficult traveling by myself because there’s no help there.

Sponsor

Staff online