• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
I bought travel insurance for the two times I went on heli trips - both of which were in early January. Given I was skiing Tahoe over Xmas both years prior to the trips, I wanted to be covered in case (god forbid) something happened locally and I injured myself and couldn't go. In my head, the insurance was more for the possibility of cancelation over injury/evacuation on the trip. I have good health insurance through my job, though if I had to get evacuated, I'm sure I would have to cover at least some of that cost.

Even_Stevens

Getting off the lift
Skier
Squaremouth.com

Is like an exchange for plans. Anyone use it?

Yes. Bought John Hancock Gold travel insurance for our trip to Niseko earlier this month via Squaremouth. Ended up not having to use it but it was nice to have the peace of mind.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@Pat AKA mustski - Is your Nationwide annual policy still what you’re purchasing? Has it changed much in the past few years?
We still buy the Nationwide plan. The caveat is that they only cover “in bounds” ski injuries. It’s a grey area as to whether that includes off piste within ski resort bounds. It’s good for 12 months. I told Bob that I would just drag his body back on piste!
Off piste is not actually defined anywhere so I don’t know if that means unnamed trails or just ungroomed trails.

we get this one: https://travel.nationwide.com/plans/annual

here is a description of the ski exclusions:
IMG_8226.jpeg

Last edited:

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I used it years ago and it covered lost reservations, new plane tickets, additional lodging and meals, and hospitalization. I've bought it again for a trip in September. Pricey last time at $371, but, I got $15000 out of it.
Ha! That planned September trip got cancelled due to COVID-19, but due to the pandemic I didn't need to use the insurance. Everything was credited at that time back to me. So the insurance company allowed me to credit that policy to a trip taken in March 2022. I'm using them again for a trip in May, but since it's longer and I'm older, it's costing far more than $371 these days. Coming trip is $1388 (now flying Business Class since I'm 72 and feel I've paid my dues in economy over the years, now it's time to treat myself).

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We still buy the Nationwide plan. The caveat is that they only cover “in bounds” ski injuries. It’s a grey area as to whether that includes off piste within ski resort bounds. It’s good for 12 months. I told Bob that I would just drag his body back on piste!
Off piste is not actually defined anywhere so I don’t know if that means unnamed trails or just ungroomed trails.

View attachment 227426
Thank you @Pat AKA mustski for posting this and @Jenny for bumping this topic! Pat, have you ever had to file a claim on this insurance? I buy travel insurance for my mom’s international trips (for my own peace of mind - 100% for the medevac coverage). These policies are much more affordable than buying on a per trip basis!

James

Out There
Instructor

View attachment 227426
From that description, it’s on trail. In the US/Canada i would assume even a woods trail is covered, but not the unnamed woods between trails. Same above tree line. Pistes are very specific in Europe so there’s little doubt there. In short, if it’s name is on the map you’re ok.
If you went to Europe I would think you’d want something in addition that covers off piste. Unless you truly never go in between pistes.

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thank you @Pat AKA mustski for posting this and @Jenny for bumping this topic! Pat, have you ever had to file a claim on this insurance? I buy travel insurance for my mom’s international trips (for my own peace of mind - 100% for the medevac coverage). These policies are much more affordable than buying on a per trip basis!
We have never had to file. (Knocking wood). We buy this because it does cover worst case scenario stuff for MOST of our travel. Last year Bob had a minor surgery for a cyst. He saw a doctor in Hamburg 3x for exams and antibiotics and then had a surgery on the cruise ship. Total cost was $400. We just paid it in cash because it was easier.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
We have used Allianz for trip insurance in the past and actually had to collect from them twice. It was easier than I expected!

James

Out There
Instructor
I’ve gotten Allianz through squaremouth.com Off piste was covered, no competitions though.
I can’t remember which policy said “no ropes, no crampons”

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks @Pat AKA mustski. Not an off-piste skier either, as you know, so no problem there. I'm amused that a trip only has to be greater than 100 miles, because I think of trips as involving flights, hotels, etc., not the day trips I take for a normal ski day.

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks @Pat AKA mustski. Not an off-piste skier either, as you know, so no problem there. I'm amused that a trip only has to be greater than 100 miles, because I think of trips as involving flights, hotels, etc., not the day trips I take for a normal ski day.
It works for non ski travel too. I watched someone get helicopter evacuated from a cruise once and thought …”wow. Bet that’s expensive.” I bought the insurance ever since.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
I have claimed twice from my travel insurance.

The First time: Early season on brand new skis in a resort with not much snow yet (groomers were great, rocks on the sides of them though). A big guy on Stöckli (who was never identified) pushed me off the side and I got myself two brand-new rock skis. Ruined. Because I had the invoice for the brand new ski (bought the week before) and witnesses had seen the incident and had stated that it was not my fault, I got a full refund for the price I originally paid for my skis and I got a full refund for the rentals that I had to take out for the rest of the trip.

The second time was in the summer. We were driving back from our stay in Umbria to Rome airport to fly back. When en route, there was a wildfire and subsequent road closure that took 3 hours and made us miss our flight home. Re-booking new flights the next morning, a hotel room for the night, and a dinner for two were fully refunded within a week.

Both cases were very clearly not my own fault. That really helps in getting refunds (quickly).

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It works for non ski travel too. I watched someone get helicopter evacuated from a cruise once and thought …”wow. Bet that’s expensive.” I bought the insurance ever since.
The year my mom retired she went on a trip to Malaysia. She called me at 5am and asked me to log into her credit card account to make sure she had enough credit availability to pay a hospital bill…because she was in the hospital getting checked out. She was fine, but what a nightmare. I get trip insurance every time she leaves the country now.

Sponsor

Staff online