• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Travel ? Anyone versed on Air Canada's Ski Bag rules? -

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Website says only Skis and Poles allowed in the Ski Bag, only Ski Boots and a Helmet allowed in Boot Bag. Customer service guy was adamant about that one. Is Air Canada really that strict about it? Some airlines say the same or similar on their website but will tell you otherwise when called to inquire about the policy.
Recent experiences plz?

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
no they are not that strict at least not at sfo, calgary and vancouver which I've flow through over past 2seasons. weight is most important.
Of course it is dependent on airport to airport. E.g. United at jackson was more strict then united at sfo and exactly which attendent you get.

That being said, just buy or upgrade to first class, and then they will give you zero hassle (weight goes to 70# as well). hehe, so maybe I don't know...

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I flew Toronto to Vancouver and back two seasons ago on Air Canada. I did only have skis and poles in my ski bag (well, hard case). But I had gloves, knee braces, hats, boot dryer, etc. in my boot bag, and had no issues checking it on the way home. (I carried it on or gate checked it, on the way out.)

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I believe they explicitly say only skis and poles in the bag. Having said that I've always stuffed all kinds of fleece and thermal wear in the bag to protect the skis and for packing reasons and have never had an issue checking skis. We even packed boots into a ski bag once with no problems. It goes into oversize baggage and I don't think they care.

Last edited:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I only have one experience, and that was two years ago. I read those rules and got all nervous, but in reality they were just as lax as the United States airlines. That was Boston->Toronto->Vancouver and back.

Sponsor

Staff online

• dbostedo
    Asst. Gathermeister
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid