• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Transitions

Loki1

Putting on skis
Inactive
With the discussion on the graphic design thread it got me thinking. I wonder what people think are the absolutes in transition. What has to happen and what are things that do happen but aren’t required. So I guess we should start with a “definition” of a ski turn. We may agree or disagree but for this question, a ski turn consists of crossing the fallline twice on the same edge. Doesn’t matter which edge but is has to cross the falling twice on the same edge. Is that fair? Hopefully. So with that in mind what are the absolutes and what are the desirables in this case?

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Simple definition of transition: The process and movements that move the center of mass from inside one turn to inside the other.

If the center of mass is not inside the turn, you will not turn.

Mike

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
It's simpler than that (to me).
A ski is in a turn when it is changing its direction of travel.
When a ski is changing its direction of travel, its direction of travel is becoming more in one direction than another. Only two examples come to mind: left turns and right turns.

Only two examples of transitions come to mind: a transition is when a left turn becomes a right turn and also when a right turn becomes a left turn.

The ski must change edges for a transition to happen.

The rest, how you make the ski change edges, is up to you (or if you're just along for the ride the terrain and happenstance).

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
There are poorly-made turns happening out there. But they are still "turns" with "transitions." The line skiers make moves them left-right across the hill. I'd go with this as the definition of turn, as @François Pugh has already suggested.

=============================
My definitions are:
"turn" - repeating left-right travel down the hill
"transition" - skier actions between fall lines that cause the switch from going left to going right
=============================

My concern is that this thread will ignore the reality of poorly-made turns and come up with a bunch of ideal turn descriptions and definitions. One side-effect of that will be people saying the skis have to get onto new edges to start the new turn, and the CoM has to cross downhill over the skis to the inside of the new turn to start the new turn.

In most poorly-made turns that I watch from the chair, I see skiers avoiding moving the CoM downhill over the skis by any means possible. These skiers avoid spending any time on downhill edges above the fall line, and in most turns these skiers don't get their skis flat until they point downhill. The left-right travel change gets going far before the skis point downhill, so these turns start on old edges and stay on "flattening" edges through the whole top-of-turn. New edges happen at the bottom half of the turn, which at that point are uphill edges.

On steeper groomers with hard sonw, these skiers stay in the back seat prettymuch the whole time they ski. They lighten and pivot their skis to point downhill or all the way around in the new direction without ever moving their CoM over the skis. They get onto new edges after the fall line, which mean those new edges are uphill edges. They do not know what it feels like to travel along on downhill edges. But, they are making turns. They are moving them along a z-shaped line down the hill.

On shallow groomers, these skiers simply avoid completing their turns. They travel down the hill in a narrow corridor, leaning their bodies left-right to make slight turns. Their CoM does indeed get "inside" the new turn, but that doesn't mean they move downhill over their skis, and it doesn't mean their skis tip to flat then to downhill/new edges above the fall line. They move from left edges to right edges. These skiers can ski a narrow corridor this way, from the back seat, on shallow pitch terrain because the speed never gets too high for them. Such "needs improvement" turns could never be made on steeper hard-snow groomers by these skiers. I affirm that these are still turns, just not ideal.

One of the challenges of teaching intermediates on hard NE snow is to help such resistant skiers lose their fear of getting onto their new downhill edges, with CoM on the other side of the skis, before the fall line.

There are also good turns that stay on old, uphill edges through part of the top of the turn. Think about it. In pivot slips, the skis don't get flat until they both point downhill. New edges happen after that when they turn to point the new direction. The skis go from downhill edges to downhill edges in a pivot slip, and the amount of that edging controls the speed of the downhill travel. The turning of the skis is done by skier muscle action, not ski-snow interaction. Skidded turns are a modification of this mechanism, and as such involve getting the skis to point downhill using muscle action ("femur rotation") while the skis are flattening. Extension of the new outside leg contributes to the skis turning to point downhill on flattening old uphill edges. These skidded turns are not necessarily seen as "needs improvement" turns, unless you are a devotee of PMTS.

Any general definition or description of "turn" and "transition" needs to take these skidded turns into account. It also needs to take into account bump turns, and even competitive mogul skier turns. So the fewer words in these descriptions/definitions, the more inclusive they will be.

========================
To discuss specifics, I'd suggest we specify which turns in which conditions and on what terrain we are talking about. Suggestion:
--We clarify "needs improvement" transition mechanics from "excellent" transition mechanics so our definitions don't mean all these recreational skiers are not actually making turns at all.
--We specify what type of terrain we are talking about - seeded mogul run, trees with polished bumps, tight trees with fresh 12" powder, winched groomer with hard snow, etc.
--We clarify whether we are talking about skidded turns, carved turns, narrow corridor turns, wide corridor turns, etc.

Last edited:

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
You change to new edges.
Your legs swap sides.

TS
Loki1

Loki1

Putting on skis
Inactive
Liquid feet, does any of that matter? All I'm asking about is what are the absolute requirements in transition? What has to be there to transition from one turn to the other. the quality of the turn or conditions don't matter, for this discusion.

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
a ski turn consists of crossing the fallline twice on the same edge. Doesn’t matter which edge but is has to cross the falling twice on the same edge. Is that fair?
Unpossible. You can transition before the fall line onto the edge, but you will not cross the fall line twice. If you do, I think that's a second turn.

If the center of mass is not inside the turn, you will not turn.

Mike
Wut? How does a slow wedge turn work? Not sure what you mean by 'inside the turn', but the COM does not have to measurably move at slow speeds.

When a ski is changing its direction of travel, its direction of travel is becoming more in one direction than another. Only two examples come to mind: left turns and right turns.

Only two examples of transitions come to mind: a transition is when a left turn becomes a right turn and also when a right turn becomes a left turn.

Agree, but what about the transition from turning to not turning. Isn't that a transition?

Your legs swap sides.
Holy Crap! My boot buckles will clash!

JESinstr

Lvl 3 1973
Skier
A ski turn is the result of invoking and managing the centripetal building properties of the ski.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Liquid feet, does any of that matter? All I'm asking about is what are the absolute requirements in transition? What has to be there to transition from one turn to the other. the quality of the turn or conditions don't matter, for this discusion.

Yes it does, because people are going to be all over the map in what they say. This is already evident.
The differences may not be because some are "wrong" while others are "right."
Not all turns are alike, and this fact will cause some (but by no means all) of the variations in responses.

Last edited:

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Wut? How does a slow wedge turn work? Not sure what you mean by 'inside the turn', but the COM does not have to measurably move at slow speeds.
In a wedge turn, both feet are laterally displaced from the CoM. Therefore, the CoM is inside the turn. Still, one foot will have greater pressure against it than the other. And the process of that transfer is the transition.

Also, the CoM most certainly does "measurably" move in a slow speed wedge turn. It doesn't have to move much, but it does move. Watch the pelvis in these turns.

The rest, how you make the ski change edges, is up to you (or if you're just along for the ride the terrain and happenstance).
Moving the CoM inside the next turn will create inclination and change the edges.

Mike

JESinstr

Lvl 3 1973
Skier
It is not about requirements, it's about the simple (but sometimes hard to comprehend) understanding that, in a turn to turn scenario, we leave one centripetal environment for another, with a slice of Gravity in between.

Once you bring it down to that level of understanding, you begin to realize that everything else is about technique, DIRT and for those of us in the business, how the heck to teach it.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
At the limit of bad turns, what about the diagonal skidders? Turn the skis 45 degrees to the fall line, skid directly down the fall line, flip the skis the other way, and continue skidding along the same path. (Requires somewhat icy hardpack for this to work.) I'm tempted to say they are not turning, but I'm sure they think they are.

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
In a wedge turn, both feet are laterally displaced from the CoM. Therefore, the CoM is inside the turn. Still, one foot will have greater pressure against it than the other. And the process of that transfer is the transition.

Also, the CoM most certainly does "measurably" move in a slow speed wedge turn. It doesn't have to move much, but it does move.

Moving the CoM inside the next turn will create inclination and change the edges.

Mike

I still don't get what you mean by "COM is inside the turn" I'm also not convinced the COM has to move at all. We may do it, but I'm not sure that's a firm requirement. Picture a tricycle going slow. It turns. The rider does not shift. The COM does not move. Pressure changes can occur without moving the COM, and novices sometimes move their COM outwardly to pressure the outside ski, not inwardly, and yet they still turn.

I also don't get how edges change in a wedge turn, you are always on the inside edges, or you aren't in a wedge.

It is not about requirements, it's about the simple (but sometimes hard to comprehend) understanding that, in a turn to turn scenario, we leave one centripetal environment for another, with a slice of Gravity in between.
Love this. As I said earlier, if you truly understand something you can express it simply.

Uke

Who am I now
Skier
1. I think the word turn works much better as a verb than a noun.

2. I avoid the word when I teach. We go left and we go right. We go along a series of curved paths. I want to go from going left to going right as smoothly and quickly as possible.

uke

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
A ski turn is the result of invoking and managing the centripetal building properties of the ski.
in a turn to turn scenario, we leave one centripetal environment for another, with a slice of Gravity in between.

Luv these - two of the classiest pieces of ski techno babble out there. Awesome! :cool:

Well played, sir.

a ski turn consists of crossing the fallline twice on the same edge.

Hmm... a skier does a carving turn to the point of going back up the hill. That would be crossing the fall line twice on the same edge - once going downhill and the second time going uphill. Ski a full circle and we can even discount the uphill crossing and still meet the definition.

The differences may not be because some are "wrong" while others are "right."

Like your points in gthe eariler, longer post. On the money.

Just wondering how long before this thread descends into flexual chauvinism - the only worthwhile turn is a double leg flex and everything else is unworthy.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Yep, @geepers, I'm going to ask Tom about it.

Mike

I'd also recommend watching two of his vids on this: "Retraction turns or flex to release - getting off the merry go round", especially the end section with the exercise band. And a brief vid on "How should I move my knees for creating edge angles". Brief answer - mostly don't. It's a short cut to nowhere.

I'm back down the snow again next week hoping to try out all this stuff. Conditions to date have been deployable. 8 days skiing so far including 2 in torrential rain, one in normal rain, 4 impenetrable ice (you know it's bad when the snow refuses to soften even though it's +10 degrees C) and one absolute slush. Edges took a pounding from the granite - one full base regrind already they were that bad. Mostly worked on fore/aft movements (TG's frontside/backside heavy) as frankly the snow is too hard and thin to risk falls. Blunt edges don't help.

Resorts getting more cover atm (40cm+ in last 3 days with more otw) so hoping it will be somewhat improved.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Too bad you can’t go to NZ. What I’ve seen from the Rookie Academy implies the conditions are pretty decent at Treble Cone.

yep, I’ve watched those. Very thought provoking!

Sponsor

Staff online