• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Trading places and "Sell 30 April at 142!"

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
trading places is one of our favorite Christmas movies and the trading scene at the end is one that is confusing to all but the traders and insiders themselves. I thought I wiould post up this explanation of the scene. It's very interesting and the whole scene hinges on one line that is very hard to hear let alone understand. (I never did). Did you also know it was legal for the Duke brothers to engage in inside trading up till 2010?

http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2...actually-happens-at-the-end-of-trading-places

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
This is a Christmas movie? I had to look up what it was because my memory of it was non-existent (Yes, I saw it at the time). We usually do Christmas Vacation, A Christmas Story, or in a pinch a musicsl like Fiddler on the Roof. (Which of course is especially odd since it's about a Jewish family, but the songs are things like Tradition.). What makes this your family Christmas movie?

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Obviously from the scene where Dan Acroyd is dressed up as a drunk Santa Claus and pulls a smoked salmon out from under his coat

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
"By the way, food and rent aren't the only things around here that cost money. You sleep on the couch." Ophelia (JLC)

Reactions: Ron

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Living in the shadow of Duke University married to a UNC Tarheel with lots of friends we watch everu single UNC Vs Duke Basketball game. References to this movie are quite common...

Best one I remember is last time UNC beat Duke at the buzzer at Duke's Cameron Arena home court.. thousands of STUNNED Duke fans and students :nono: staring at the court and scoreboard dead silent... I said they look like The Dukes as the final trading bell rang.. Wife's friend shouts "TURN THOSE MACHINES BACK ON!!!!!!!!!!!":roflmao:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
From Movie Quotes turned to Ski Quotes:

Trading Places...
SierraJim: [Beyond overhears the Shop Guys talking in the bathroom] Pay up, Phil. I've won the bet.
Philpug: Here, one dollar.
SierraJim: [chuckling] We took a perfectly useless lousy ski like Cochise, and turned it into a the Ski of the Year. And during the same time, we turned an honest, fine-working binding like the Knee Binding into a violently, deranged, would-be knee killer!
[laughs]
Philpug: Now, what are we going to do about taking Kneebinding back and returning the Cochise to the closeout rack?
SierraJim: I don't want Kneebinding back, after how it released.
Philpug: You mean, keep *Cochise* on as the best ski out there?
SierraJim: Do you really believe I would have a *flipcore* define our ski shop sales, Phil?
Philpug [Beyond's eyes widen with outrage] Of course not. Neither would I.
Philpug [with a think bubble over his head] Hmmmm, what ski do we make popular next season?

Stay tuned for the conclusion in Trading Places II: The Spademan Cometh

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
The scene where the 2 baggage handlers are arguing over who gets to drive the forklift--I pointed to Al Franken and told my son that guy's a senator now. He was a bit incredulous.

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
the movie takes place shortly after thanksgiving and ends a day or 2 after New Year. Several Christmas scenes

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier

Trading Places...

Philpug [with a think bubble over his head] Hmmmm, what ski do we make popular next season?

comingtoamerica03.jpg

comingtoamerica05.jpg

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
As crgildart points out, the best line in Trading Places is in Coming to America! :roflmao:

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
I just found this thread, on a REALLY boring conference call, and was watching Trading Places last week. Fantastic movie with so many classic lines and scenes. @Ron Genius for starting!!!!

Corgski

Getting off the lift
Skier
Best thing about Trading Places is that in the real life bet between Richard Dennis and William Eckhardt, the result was the same, the ordinary people (the turtles) won. OK, some details differ but close enough.

Oddly enough, while the movie and the real life version were both in 1983, there seems to be no direct link between the two. Maybe this a popular debate at the time and Dennis decided to pursue it for real and someone else decided to pursue a movie script?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I just found this thread, on a REALLY boring conference call, and was watching Trading Places last week. Fantastic movie with so many classic lines and scenes. @Ron Genius for starting!!!!
Nice bump.

@Philpug's Movie Quotes to Ski Quotes is hilarious. Especially to those who remember @Sierrajim and Beyond

Trading Places...
SierraJim: [Beyond overhears the Shop Guys talking in the bathroom] Pay up, Phil. I've won the bet.
Philpug: Here, one dollar.
SierraJim: [chuckling] We took a perfectly useless lousy ski like Cochise, and turned it into a the Ski of the Year. And during the same time, we turned an honest, fine-working binding like the Knee Binding into a violently, deranged, would-be knee killer!
[laughs]
Philpug: Now, what are we going to do about taking Kneebinding back and returning the Cochise to the closeout rack?
SierraJim: I don't want Kneebinding back, after how it released.
Philpug: You mean, keep *Cochise* on as the best ski out there?
SierraJim: Do you really believe I would have a *flipcore* define our ski shop sales, Phil?
Philpug [Beyond's eyes widen with outrage] Of course not. Neither would I.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January