• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I still enjoy hiking during the winter on the random days I am not skiing. Some days require snowshoes. Some days require good winter hiking boots and then there are the days that require traction cleats. I had a pair that I had bought at Costco several years ago, but now one is no where to be found. So, it is time to buy another pair. There are many on the market: Yak Trax, Kahtoola, ICETrekkers, Stabilicer, Dry Guy and Due North to name a few. The price point is pretty similar.

Does anyone have an opinion?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I like Kahtoola Microspikes. I found that when I walk on broken terrain with mixed rock and ice I like to center my arch on the rock. The Microspikes let me do that and still feel secure by being locked in by the front and rear cleat. I did not want to have a cleat directly under the arch.

If I was to make the purchase again I might go with a more agressive design like the Hillsound that lets you frontpoint (Trail Crampon Pro?)

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
I like Yak Trax, although I rarely wear them, since my Merrell polar hikers have such good traction.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I saw some at Costco the other day. Can't remember which brand or how much but could check on my next provisions excursion.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Yaktrax are nice for mixed surfaces, because they don't have teeth that effectively create a scrabbly, uneven surface when you're walking on pavement or rock or whatever.

For the same reason, Yaktrax aren't much help on true ice, and that's when I use Kahtoola Microspikes ... mostly because that was the brand available at REI, if I recall.

I keep a set of microspikes in my car over the winter, just in case. I don't know where my yaktrax are.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
image.jpeg

Wow, those are serious business!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
Kahtoola Microspikes for winter/late spring/early fall hiking. They're more like crampons and give you a TON of grip when crossing sketchy snowfields. I use yaktrax or whatever for winter sidewalk running or walking when its slippery out.

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I was debating what to take to Nepal last year for a non-technical trek over an 18,000 ft pass on the Manaslu circuit.. I've found Yaktracks break fairly easily. The Kahtoola microspikes are narrow under the heel and make my ankles unstable on rock with lighter boots.. Full crampons are overkill for a long mixed dirt-rock- snow- ice on trail day. The ICETrekers worked great for me. My wife would have preferred something spikier on the ice but loves them on the mixed stuff

upload_2015-12-5_17-7-39.png

My GPS track on google earth
upload_2015-12-5_17-5-4.png

Yep, I got there.

upload_2015-12-5_17-9-13.png

Sponsor

Staff online