• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I didn't listen to the video, but i don't like how his knees are do bent in the still around 1.20 or so.

To support the g forces in the turn, they should be more straight. Also, he's pushing off the right leg in transition.

But whatever, I'm sure he is considered a great skier.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I didn't listen to the video, but i don't like how his knees are do bent in the still around 1.20 or so.

To support the g forces in the turn, they should be more straight. Also, he's pushing off the right leg in transition.

But whatever, I'm sure he is considered a great skier.

Max flexion at and just above apex... the 'where' and the timing has pretty much never been mentioned in the thread. And yes, I'm guessing the skier's FIS points are much lower than anyone here at any point in our lives. If we were following directly in his tracks a ski length behind, we wouldn't be keeping up. The ski isn't deflecting laterally as it might in the 'pushing' late in the turn like we see in lesser skiers which leads us to another point; desired outcome and commensurate variation(s) in DIRT. But we're at page 6 in an instruction thread before the season starts, so......

:beercheer:

Last edited:
TS
LiquidFeet

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Worth repeating. Thanks, @markojp, for finding it.
Depending on how much fun I want to instigate, I may start that thread tonight.
Do you know who this is talking and who is doing the skiing?
Oh, wait, is the coach Ron Kipp?

Last edited:
TS
LiquidFeet

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Thanks, @Dakine, for bringing up windsurfing.
Is this windsurfer sensing where his CoM is in relation to his BoS?
giphy.gif

Last edited:
TS
LiquidFeet

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Is this guy paying attention to the spatial relationship between two points, his CoM and BoS?
tenor.gif

Last edited:
TS
LiquidFeet

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
How about this guy? Is he tracking his CoM to BoS relationship while he's in the air?
giphy.gif

Last edited:

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
Please pass the popcorn.... ogsmile
I have seen lots good racers with bruised shins from banging against their boot tongues particularly in Slalom events.
I'm not quite ready to throw away my Booster Straps and stand up like a park rat.
Park moves and rockered skis require a whole different technique from a carved turn.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
Ummmm...
The captions show that the data on Mikela was taken with a "free rotation cuff" that cannot exert resistance while the data on the intermediate skier was taken with a "medium spring cuff" and it shows that the cuff is loaded and flexed in the turns.
Apples to oranges.
I would like to see data on cuff loading and flexion with a typical pro plug boot with a high flex rating.
Primoz and others talk about how the pros have gone to somewhat softer boots as skis have evolved and, to me, boot stiffness is closely related to how the front of the ski can be pressured.
Not yet convinced that boot cuff pressure isn't an interesting metric of how a ski is being used.

rustypouch

Getting on the lift
Skier
Ummmm...
The captions show that the data on Mikela was taken with a "free rotation cuff" that cannot exert resistance while the data on the intermediate skier was taken with a "medium spring cuff" and it shows that the cuff is loaded and flexed in the turns.
Apples to oranges.
I would like to see data on cuff loading and flexion with a typical pro plug boot with a high flex rating.
Primoz and others talk about how the pros have gone to somewhat softer boots as skis have evolved and, to me, boot stiffness is closely related to how the front of the ski can be pressured.
Not yet convinced that boot cuff pressure isn't an interesting metric of how a ski is being used.

Yep, and how much it varies depending on style, methodology, and how you were taught. For example, there was an instructor last season who was working a gap year at my hill, from Germany. She was very far forward, with constantly lots of pressure on the front of her boots. We worked with her to get her more centered before she took Level 2. Had we not done that, she wouldn't have passed.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Ummmm...
Apples to oranges.
Sure, it is interesting. What his data shows, however, is that the former WC skier who was instrumented places very little force on the front and aft of the boot cuff. And to pull a quote directly out of text:

Contrary to the common wisdom in skiing, introducing significant resistance to cuff movement in the normal range of ankle flexion forces the soleus muscle to decrease its contractive force in order to overcome the resistance to forward (dorsiflexion) presented by the cuff. Diminished balance, diminished control of the ski and attenuation of the processes that dissipate energy from the interaction with the snow are the result. This was noted as far back as 1987 by Professor M. Pfeiffer of the University of Salzburg (Salzburg, Austria) in his article Kinematics of the Foot in the Ski Boot; “The shaft of the boot should provide the leg with good support, but not great resistance for about two-thirds of the possible arc, i.e., 20 to 22 degrees. Up to that point, the normal, physiologic function of the ankle should not be impeded.”
By pressuring the front of the boot, what do you think you are accomplishing? Is your objective to bend the front of the ski or something else? How do you think your mechanics are affecting ski performance?

I'm genuinely interested in your answers.

Mike

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Mike, over pressuring the cuff can be very slow in the gates. The skier in the vid certainly isn't hanging in the front of the boot. Snow coming off his skis tells us how force is distributed along the ski through the arc. Skiing is incredibly dynamic, and 'desired' tactical outcomes can change quickly. The point of posting the video wasn't to prove anything or anyone wrong, but to show some great skiing that might broaden our idea of what's 'good'. That said, the little ankle flexion diagram doesn't tell us anything beyond a mometary 2 dimensional metric, and we know skiing is about the 3rd and 4th. I'll also stand by the idea that none of us could effectively follow in his exact tracks ar the same speed. He's both managing and making forces.... for dingy sailors out there, it's the difference between tacking and roll tacking.

Last edited:

Corgski

Getting off the lift
Skier

Quoting from the article:
"Suddenly we see the pattern of pressure on the front and inner aspects of the boot cuff, high pressure under and behind the heel and minimal pressure under the ball of the foot associated with an unbalanced base of support that necessitates the use of the leg as a compensatory lever to control the edge angle of the ski."

From basic physics, the load on the ski bindings from the boot is a function of the COM alone, the cuff may redistribute "internal" loads but for a given center of mass, cuff has no impact on ski loading. The cuff is essentially a brace which can compensate for not having superhuman ankles (from ski boot history, apparently our predecessors did have superhuman ankles). If the COM goes over the front binding, it can also help limit heel lift.

For a GIVEN COM location, loading the cuff would increase the load on the front of the ski if it wasn't for the fact that loading the cuff shifts the load on one's feet towards the rear to compensate (hence the birdcage results). From this I guess one wants a boot setup (forward lean, stiffness, etc) that can take up load when the skier needs it, but if it is taking up too much load before that, it is just restricting range of motion. Supporting a joint in a maximum load position may be desirable but you would not try to fix that joint in that position or try to artificially load that support just because it is there.

Edit: Of course in practice, a loaded cuff is more likely to indicate weight forward just because it is more difficult to load the cuff as your COM moves back. Conversely, if I have my boot spoiler all the way in, I can load the back of my boot without being in the back seat.

Last edited:

JESinstr

Lvl 3 1973
Skier
Your observation that just shouting, "Hands in front," doesn't usually do the trick raises a point that I've been mulling over. We always speak of skiing from the feet up, but what does that really mean? Someone recently put up a link that I can't find right now, but that I thought was really excellent. It was a video lesson by a Squaw Valley race coach, advocating keeping constant, functional TENSION in the muscles around the ankle joints. That really clicked for me, and it struck me as something that I'd want to teach first time beginners. Something that's missing from how most people start skiing, and something that's very different from how we use our ankle joints while walking. What if instead of trying valiantly, but often failing, to keep hands in front, that first time skier thought about maintaining muscular tension at all times, sufficient to hold dorsiflexion while being bounced around by all of the undulations in the snow surface? Do you think that might lead to improved stance--involving ALL joints--and balance?

Yes, Functional TENSION! Focused dorsiflexion via raising of the toes and closing the ankle upward provides functional tension in the lower extremities plus the added bonus of fostering the proper skiing BOS. And for the upper body, a focused stretching of the hands and arms provides functional tension for stabilizing the upper mass. @Steve started me on this with his "spread the toes, spread the feet mantra". For their first few forward slides, beginners need to create tension to deal with the sliding platform. To that point, I no longer invoke the straight run. We start out with a tension creating wedge. Once they get a few repetitions going they will be able to loosen up, adapt and expand through wide wedge/narrow wedge exercises...rotating around the arch vs pushing the heels of course! Much faster IMO than letting them figure it out by themselves. Here is the Ron Kipp Video you were looking for.

Well, actually, turning creates centripetal force. Period. Intentionally or otherwise. Sometimes more centripetal force, sometimes less. But it doesn't matter if one is skiing with carved turns, skidded turns, or something in between. So just like with gravity--deal with it, embrace it, kiddies, this is what skiing is all about, and if you don't like it you might want to take up checkers. The amount of centripetal force created is a function of turn radius, speed, and body mass. I think that's about all. A higher angle slope creates more speed, of course, at least in some part of the turn cycle, hence more centripetal force. So--if a beginning skier wants to damp down the magnitude of centripetal force, he can keep the speed down, ski gentler slopes, or avoid very short radius turns. (Or lose weight.) Beginners instinctively do all of these things, except the losing weight part, LOL.

The real question is, what does one do with that centripetal force? The main choices are, redirect it by shaping a turn, or scrub off energy with friction. Most turns employ some mix of these two. Beginners tend to want to use a lot of friction, accomplished with highly skidded turns. As instructors, an important part of our job is to change that bias more in favor of turn shaping. We know this has the capacity to slow a skier as much as desired, or bring a skier to a complete stop by turning uphill, as long as the slope is wide enough.

Don't know what to make of this one. Are you creating Centripetal force when you do Pivot Slips? As I said Carving is a form of redirection but not all redirection is a form of carving. I don't believe for one second that a beginner WANTS to use friction. Friction is a failure to carve. Friction (straight line travel) is one of only two options and beginners know nothing about option 2 (creating centripetal force) but they instinctively know about defence of straight line force, ergo bracing through the heel.

Agreed! It's all a question of how we get that outside ski to perform as stated. And I don't consider a focus on inside ski tipping to be any more taxing than a focus on outside ski tipping.

We can argue this till the cows come home but while a beginner (at low velocity) instinctively relies on the force of gravity for balance, I see no good in having them unconsciously adjust their COM to the inside away from the outside ski through the active tipping of the inside ski. More often than not, the beginner will end up leaning over the inside ski. IMO. Again, I advocate a softening then shortening of the inside leg vs tipping it first. Especially at the beginner level. Not saying tipping the inside first doesn't work, just think one needs a higher skill level to make efficient use of the move.

"Teaching fundamentals that span all levels of skiing." That's it, without a doubt. However, I disagree with the proposition that teaching ski tipping to beginners is a mistake. I always like to do a couple of things with beginners and novices. (This assumes that I was constrained to use primarily a wedge teaching pathway.) First, I would work hard on teaching foot tipping (knee angulation, whatever you care to call it) to enable sidestepping uphill, perhaps controlling a little sideslipping, and just creating a secure stance for standing sideways on a slope on skis. As soon as skiers were able to negotiate a full beginner run, I would then have them start a shallow descending traverse with fully parallel skis, and then tip the feet into the hill to discover how this would lead to a turn, coming to a stop, with no additional effort whatsoever. Second, as soon as skiers were good enough to go a little higher on the mountain, to suitable VERY gentle terrain that went on for long enough, I would teach railroad track turns. Just one turn at a time, at first. Then start linking if they were up to it. You might be surprised how capable novices can be at doing this, if it's introduced correctly. Something else I discovered in clinics was that MANY lower level instructors weren't capable of doing railroad tracks! This suggests real deficiencies in the ways skiing skills are often developed. If you can't do slow railroad tracks, you ain't gonna be able to carve under more challenging conditions.

If skiers don't balance strongly on the outside skis while doing these maneuvers, they won't be successful. Leaning into the hill is quite obvious to the eye, and should be corrected immediately.

I believe that introducing parallel tipping moves to beginners very early on will bring them great benefits as they progress.

You might have unintentionally misrepresented what I have said. I never said I don't teach tipping. When you place your skis in a wedge configuration, you are tipping. And IMO, this is the place where a beginner, for the first time, can really feel the outside ski BOS because when we are on the inside edges, the BOS is primarily between the Big ball of the foot and the inside edge of the heel. It is in the much maligned wedge that, if you teach it properly, students can really feel their outside ski BOS and establish a home base for what is to come.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
Sure, it is interesting.

I'm genuinely interested in your answers.

Mike

Mike, this is a good discussion and I think there is a lot to be learned here.
I tried to find the original "Birdcage" study but came up short.
I'm not sure what a cuff with very little forward resistance has to do with skiing in a high flex rated boot which surely takes force to flex past the molded angle.
Forward flex in boots is a non-linear kind of spring with a low resistance to initial flex then a much greater resistance to flexing once you get past a limited range.
Forward flex of the boot upper puts a torque on the ski causing the pressure distribution under the ski to become biased towards the tips.

When I talk about tongue pressure, I'm not talking about putting great force on the tongue but rather awareness of contact with the tongue and how much pressure is being applied.
If you try standing around in a skiing posture without boots on you get fatigued in a hurry.
If you put your boots on and relax into the tongues you can stand around for a long time.
The reaction force from the tongues supports your inclined legs and holds you up.
You don't use muscles to do this, gravity and your boots do the work allowing your muscles to do other stuff.
Beginners who stand up using muscle rather than support from their equipment don't last long.

This is not to say that the skier doesn't have to control tongue pressure to make their skis do what they want them to do.
A good skier can choose to ski off the front, the middle or the back of the ski depending on the situation.
Skis react differently to the torque applied by pressuring the tongue, some have "strong tips" and like it and some have more noodley tips and don't react to tip pressure.
In my collection, the skis with the strongest tips are Volkls and the most noodley ones are Atomics with early rise.
When I switch from one to the other I have to be aware of tongue pressure because they react differently.
Generally, if I'm thinking about what my ski mechanics are doing I check to see that I have good contact with the tongues but am not overdoing it and washing out the tails.
This awareness comes when I am skiing well and that's my story.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Mike, this is a good discussion and I think there is a lot to be learned here.
I tried to find the original "Birdcage" study but came up short.
I'm not sure what a cuff with very little forward resistance has to do with skiing in a high flex rated boot which surely takes force to flex past the molded angle.
Forward flex in boots is a non-linear kind of spring with a low resistance to initial flex then a much greater resistance to flexing once you get past a limited range.
Forward flex of the boot upper puts a torque on the ski causing the pressure distribution under the ski to become biased towards the tips.

When I talk about tongue pressure, I'm not talking about putting great force on the tongue but rather awareness of contact with the tongue and how much pressure is being applied.
If you try standing around in a skiing posture without boots on you get fatigued in a hurry.
If you put your boots on and relax into the tongues you can stand around for a long time.
The reaction force from the tongues supports your inclined legs and holds you up.
You don't use muscles to do this, gravity and your boots do the work allowing your muscles to do other stuff.
Beginners who stand up using muscle rather than support from their equipment don't last long.

This is not to say that the skier doesn't have to control tongue pressure to make their skis do what they want them to do.
A good skier can choose to ski off the front, the middle or the back of the ski depending on the situation.
Skis react differently to the torque applied by pressuring the tongue, some have "strong tips" and like it and some have more noodley tips and don't react to tip pressure.
In my collection, the skis with the strongest tips are Volkls and the most noodley ones are Atomics with early rise.
When I switch from one to the other I have to be aware of tongue pressure because they react differently.
Generally, if I'm thinking about what my ski mechanics are doing I check to see that I have good contact with the tongues but am not overdoing it and washing out the tails.
This awareness comes when I am skiing well and that's my story.

Do you actually ski the whole time resting against the front of your boots? I may do that standing in the lift line - not so sure of doing much of that heading downhill.

I have seen lots good racers with bruised shins from banging against their boot tongues particularly in Slalom events.
I'm not quite ready to throw away my Booster Straps and stand up like a park rat.
Park moves and rockered skis require a whole different technique from a carved turn.

Not sure I'd like to ski 20k vertical per day, 6 or 7 days per week with bruised shins. It just doesn't seem like much fun.

Is park rat posture the only alternative? How about just a certain amount of knee and ankle flex but not so much as to cause shin damage?

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Well, much thread drift here, but I'm going to try to maintain a focus on the question raised in the OP--the relationship of the COM to the BOS. Featuring the fore-aft and lateral aspects of that.

Yes, Functional TENSION!

:)

Don't know what to make of this one. Are you creating Centripetal force when you do Pivot Slips?

No, not if doing them correctly, because your COM is traveling in a straight line.

Skidded turns are not pivot slips. They are real turns, where the COM traces an S-shaped (one hopes) path. Hence, they produce centripetal force. Again, it's a question of how much. With that in mind, you might look again at what I wrote earlier.

I don't believe for one second that a beginner WANTS to use friction. Friction is a failure to carve. Friction (straight line travel) is one of only two options and beginners know nothing about option 2 (creating centripetal force) but they instinctively know about defence of straight line force, ergo bracing through the heel.

Well, I have to disagree, because the beginners I observe appear to be intentionally creating a lot of skidding to slow themselves. And that's my memory from my own early days. Probably they don't have the word "friction" in their minds, but they know what skidding feels like, and they know the result. Skidding doesn't have to be in a straight line. Realistically, most turns, even for the most expert skiers, are somewhere on the spectrum between straight line sideslipping and pure carving.

I see no good in having [beginners] unconsciously adjust their COM to the inside away from the outside ski through the active tipping of the inside ski. More often than not, the beginner will end up leaning over the inside ski. IMO. ...Not saying tipping the inside first doesn't work, just think one needs a higher skill level to make efficient use of the move.

Let's talk first about lessons and mental focus for skiers at a more advanced level. Advocates of a focus on inside ski tipping certainly aren't looking to produce leaning to the inside--that is to say, an excessive movement of the COM to the inside of the turn, resulting in too much weight on the inside ski. The training I have received with this focus has simultaneously sought to achieve just the opposite--outside ski dominance, balancing on the inside edge of the outside ski, and pivoting of the upper body over the outside ski hip joint as the turn develops.

We would be teaching beginners very badly if our instruction led to them to CONSCIOUSLY lean into the hill. So the question becomes, does teaching inside ski tipping result in them unconsciously overadjusting their COM to the inside? First, I'm not persuaded that there's a tendency for there to be any difference in the amounts of inside leaning problems resulting from foot tipping created through the two approaches--an inside foot focus or an outside foot focus. Second, many of the drills using an inside foot focus are expressly designed to avoid leaning in. For example, if I were having beginners start the shallow, descending traverse I described earlier, I would first have them stand balance on a side slope, with skis directly across the fall line. I would have them practice some tipping (knee angulation) to get a strong grip on the snow, standing still. I would have them notice that their weight would naturally go mostly to the downhill ski. I would have them face their upper bodies a bit down the hill. I would have them put ski pole tips out for balance, and pick up the uphill ski, balancing only on the downhill ski. Only then would I ask them to move, to start a traverse, and make the same movements (absent picking up the uphill ski). As another example, one can have the student stand on a flat, with skis on or off, pick one foot up entirely off the snow, bring it close to the other foot, and tip it to the outside. As I spoke of earlier, this is likely to result in the student falling over the first time, but the student will quickly learn some angulation to achieve balance on the one edge of one ski. All of this is intended to counteract any tendency to lean into the hill.

Again, I advocate a softening then shortening of the inside leg vs tipping it first. Especially at the beginner level.

No argument there. At a more advanced level, training can include exercises much like the "Get Over It" drill featured above. In the video, you'll observe softening first--in the exercise, to the point of lifting the new inside ski off the snow--and only then, with a brief delay, the tipping.

You might have unintentionally misrepresented what I have said. I never said I don't teach tipping. When you place your skis in a wedge configuration, you are tipping. And IMO, this is the place where a beginner, for the first time, can really feel the outside ski BOS because when we are on the inside edges, the BOS is primarily between the Big ball of the foot and the inside edge of the heel. It is in the much maligned wedge that, if you teach it properly, students can really feel their outside ski BOS and establish a home base for what is to come.

Yes, IMHO that's a very important point, and thank you for bringing it up. (This message will teeter on the brink of turning into a rant.) Personally, I would have loved to have more opportunity to try direct to parallel lessons for beginners, but in the real world we're often constrained to use a wedge-based approach. Some are perfectly happy with that, while others question it. But if we are teaching with a wedge, it's CRUCIAL to have a STRONG focus on tipping the feet--and skis--to create nice edge angles. I always liked showing my students that there was fundamentally no difference between a good wedge turn and a good parallel turn. Each relied upon outside ski dominance, and in each case getting the outside ski to perform properly required a sufficient edge angle. In a wedge turn, the inside ski isn't creating any turning force--it's just sort of along for the ride. The main thing to avoid is overreliance on the "training wheels" by leaning over on that inside ski.

But--it's not NECESSARILY true that "when you place your skis in a wedge configuration, you are tipping." It is quite possible to create a wedge without turning the femur--by instead turning only the foot, below the knee, which is principally done in the subtalar joint. This results in flat skis, which don't work worth a damn to create turns or slow the skier down. Go out on any bunny hill, and you'll see lots of wedge skiing beginners struggling mightily because they aren't turning the legs from the hip sockets. And--I witnessed all too many instructors who didn't recognize the difference, and didn't show their students the simple correction that would have allowed them to make EFFECTIVE wedges. As you say, the required move is to tip both feet inward, toward each other. That's really all it takes. Once a skier can make rudimentary turns this way, it's possible to move immediately into teaching rotational control, including incipient upper-lower body separation, and things will get better fast.

And what facilitates that foot tipping? I say--functional tension! Bringing us full circle.

So JES--do you like teaching parallel moves of any sort to beginners and novices? Again, I like to do so, because I wouldn't want students to get stuck into thinking that staying in a wedge was the only way to ski.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
How about this guy? Is he tracking his CoM to BoS relationship while he's in the air?
giphy.gif

Nice set of vids on CoM/BoS interplay.

There's a world of difference between subconsciously tracking position of the body wrt the feet and using it as a conscious thought process. Young children seem to learn to walk, run and tumble head over heel without any mention of force vectors, centers of mass, etc.

TS
LiquidFeet

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
....There's a world of difference between subconsciously tracking position of the body wrt the feet and using it as a conscious thought process. Young children seem to learn to walk, run and tumble head over heel without any mention of force vectors, centers of mass, etc.

If a skier, or windsurfer, feels where the CoM is, and feels where the BoS is, and pays attention to how those two positions relate, I call that "conscious." Being attentive, for me, is being conscious. Being "consciously aware" of those two points doesn't mean that while skiing the skier is talking to themselves about CoM to BoS. Feeling stuff consciously, paying direct attention to these things as things are happening, is the intended focus of my comments.

Being inattentive can either mean subconscious awareness, or lack of awareness. Unconscious competence feels the same as unconscious incompetence; both involve lack of awareness. The consequences are different.

A child learning to walk doesn't need the identifiers CoM and BoS (to communicate in a ski forum), but attentiveness to CoM and BoS surely is being cemented into those little brains.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online