• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pacific NW/AK/BC TR - Whistler Blackcomb with Extremely Canadian

GettingThere

Booting up
Skier
(sorry no pics).

We typically ski Squaw with kids on teams etc. so hard to get away to another mountain. Astute and careful negotiations at the household allowed me to get away for a two day steeps clinics with EC this past Monday and Tues with a ski buddy (the low Canadian dollar and the fact that I could use points to stay in the village also helped).

This was my first time at WB and I was blown away by the terrain (large, expansive, and a lot of advanced/expert level features). Most of my skiing has been in California so the low (zero) visibility was a HUGE issue for me. Cost of EC two day clinic is very reasonable and I used my Squaw pass to get a 50% discount off the lift ticket. Food on mountain and in the village was quite reasonable (esp. after the conversion). Lots and lots of European and Aussie/Kiwi accents to be heard (almost felt like being in Europe).

We flew out Sun from SF to Vancouver and took a shuttle from there to WB late in the day. When we arrived it was quite dreary and raining (base is very low so quite different conditions up high).

Day 1

Meet near the base gondola at 8:30, load-up and go to the top of Whistler. About 12 people, and three EC guides. A quick warm-up run and then a "ski-off" top determine groups. Conditions were manky down below but about 6-12 inches of cut up, up top. "Ski-off" was on a black un-groomed run. Prior to ski-off they asked people if they wanted to stay with friends etc. so they could accommodate that. The pitch/conditions worked well as you could easily tell the different skil/ability levels on that pitch. I stayed with my buddy and we initially had 4-5 folks in our group (typical group size was 3-4). Each group went off. We did some of the bowls at Whistler and worked on technique some. One person in our group was struggling a bit so EC (at lunch, politely), reassigned them - they ended up getting a private. They sell a specific product and are very serious about ensuring that they deliver that experience. Another guy in the group dropped off (not feeling well?, hang-over? not sure). So from there on it was 3 of us.

Focus was on medium (ish) radius turns to ski the large bowls (bit of a change for me as I was more used to making short, quick turns at Squaw). Guide said to use make larger turns and "tail smearing" to control line and speed. Visibility was really bad (or at least that's what I thought till I saw the next day). So rest of day was spent covering different lines, jumping off a cornice and bowl skiing. The usual obligatory video was also taken (same bad habits, still there). Lots of mileage. Little bit of apre and good conversation with the other groups as well at lunch and apre.

Day 2

(I was on my skis first day, the older enforcers, today called for lots of wind and lots of snow so ended up picking up a demo - super 7 I think). Early meet up. On tap - Blackcomb. Couple of warm up runs after we reach the top. Its howling like crazy and puking snow with zero visibility. Stuck behind the guide as I could not see anything. After a couple of runs we went up Spanky's Ladder and did one of the bowls down and around. Next run again up Spanky's, the hike was now totally wind scoured and icy. Buddy struggles and slips off and stops just above the rock band! Buddy asks guide what to do. Guide: climb back up or make your way down and we'll see you at the bottom of the lift. We leave buddy - now only two left in the group.

More zero visbility skiing. I had heard about white-out induced vertigo before - now I experienced it - freaked me out. Find buddy, do Spankys one more time. Guide cuts new boot pack (steeper but better snow). Take a narrow traverse to get to a "run" - Bad Attitude (?). "Guide: watch for rock outcrop jutting out after the corner on the traverse" - buddy does not, slips off and is stopped by a tree. We wait for 15 mins for buddy, in howling winds on a very steep slope. Guide goes back..

Buddy: what happens if I take my skis off and walk? Guide: you will die. Buddy keeps skis on and guide cuts out a new traverse for him. (snow was quite deep).

We lick our wounds (mostly mental, esp. buddy) and make it back out the long traverse. Btw I also had my first experience of a small "slide" - freaky, especially under the zero visibility conditions as it took me a while to figure out what was going on. Patrol closes behind us saying some of the snow is "popping".

Overall, great experience. Guides are really good with right amount of instruction and in pushing you outside your comfort zone. I would like to do it again it again (hopefully in conditions where I can see).

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
WB puts it into perspective. We did a bootpack to this huge bowl and I was a little concerned when the slope was arms length away with a cornice above us and a rock cliff below. Kind of like that song Stuck in the middle with you. Thanks for the TR.

TS
GettingThere

GettingThere

Booting up
Skier
WB puts it into perspective. We did a bootpack to this huge bowl and I was a little concerned when the slope was arms length away with a cornice above us and a rock cliff below. Kind of like that song Stuck in the middle with you. Thanks for the TR.

Yeah, totally agree. This was my first time there so I don't even think we scratched the surface

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
It makes most resorts look like a mole hill. Last time I went they asked for id. When I showed them my prison card well that didn't go well. Kidding! Would like to get up there in a year or so. It's not that far from Or. Keep skiing.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
TS
GettingThere

GettingThere

Booting up
Skier

Is this the area you are describing? Looks REALLY Gnarly! Amazing.

@Ken_R yes that's the back bowls. The short hike from the other side puts you on top of the bowls and you can drop into any. There is a long traverse out. We did not hit anything that was very gnarly but the low viz really made it challenging.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
... Next run again up Spanky's, the hike was now totally wind scoured and icy. Buddy struggles and slips off and stops just above the rock band! Buddy asks guide what to do. Guide: climb back up or make your way down and we'll see you at the bottom of the lift.

I was just the other day describing my experience on Spanky's ... icy bootpack in totally plastic boot soles. And a huge line of people behind me, and I was sure I was going to slip down and take out 40 hikers. I have never been gripped like that while skiing. Or hiking, or anything really, I don't tend to get panicky. (I was a little hungover, too, so that didn't help.)

Once on the other side, though, :D

TS
GettingThere

GettingThere

Booting up
Skier
I was just the other day describing my experience on Spanky's ... icy bootpack in totally plastic boot soles. And a huge line of people behind me, and I was sure I was going to slip down and take out 40 hikers. I have never been gripped like that while skiing. Or hiking, or anything really, I don't tend to get panicky. (I was a little hungover, too, so that didn't help.)

Once on the other side, though, :D

Yup if that last steep pitch is icy you really have to commit and trust (I was having a hard time doing it, esp. after my buddy slipped. I almost wanted to crawl up!)

dustyfog

Putting on skis
Skier
Short TR; V Interesting, and brave, with EC, your buddy had a rough time but in low or zero visibility, no kidding, that is very intimidating terrain to be on, wow!

Backcomb glacier is in our humble view, the most glorious inbounds glacier on this gigantic planet of ours! And then some.
In 2012, this hapless Dad, 4 years into skiing went up on that long traverse from BlowHole, it's the traverse in Ken R's Advanced Guide to Whistler Pano of the Blackcomb Glacier skier's left ridge line/face; It goes about Surf's up, over a couple of No-Fall's and then you are in Sapphire Bowl, powder sublime...Minute marker 1'30 to 3'50"
Video is here: (Embed Button is not working for me)
Wondering whether you entered Sapphire or Ruby or Diamond Bowl ? Sapphire exit, the triad of lines on the left side of the picture above, just right of the traverse, those 3 chutes - they are pretty wide, you basically touch the side of the hill and you are standing upright on edge.

dustyfog

Putting on skis
Skier
Finestone & Hodder books are masterpieces; they have one for the intermediate skier and one for the advanced skier. Really a labor of love, though not sure if they are in print anymore. The Advanced skier version got a revamp and 2nd print with updates etc.

@GettingThere you really snagged the crown jewels and in seriously inclement conditions, quite an adventure. Things to tell the grandchildren.

Lady_Salina

Out on the slopes
Skier
Nice, love the Blackcomb Glacier area and Spanky's ladder. Here's a shot half way down Ruby Bowl with good snow and visibility from one of my trips. It's pretty steep, on the climb up I just never look down. I slipped once but only a few feet before managing to get my grip again but I've seen people slip down and just go down that side. As usual, the steepness of a run is hard to tell in photos, but it's a lovely area. I've skied steeper and in good snow it's a nice wide open bowl but does have some rock croppings to watch for if there's not great coverage. I wouldn't want to do it in 0 visibility. I'll check when I get home next week to see if I have a photo of the Spanky's ladder climb area and I know I have some of the Glacier and run out.. I always been impressed with the Extremely Canadian
guides when I speak with them and have always heard great things about them from people that have used them.
IMG_4794_dpp.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
TS
GettingThere

GettingThere

Booting up
Skier
Nice, love the Blackcomb Glacier area and Spanky's ladder. Here's a shot half way down Ruby Bowl with good snow and visibility from one of my trips. It's pretty steep, on the climb up I just never look down. I slipped once but only a few feet before managing to get my grip again but I've seen people slip down and just go down that side. As usual, the steepness of a run is hard to tell in photos, but it's a lovely area. I've skied steeper and in good snow it's a nice wide open bowl but does have some rock croppings to watch for if there's not great coverage. I wouldn't want to do it in 0 visibility. I'll check when I get home next week to see if I have a photo of the Spanky's ladder climb area and I know I have some of the Glacier and run out.. I always been impressed with the Extremely Canadian
guides when I speak with them and have always heard great things about them from people that have used them.
IMG_4794_dpp.JPG
yup - I need to go back and ski it in good viz (an added incentive to show up to next years gathering)

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice, love the Blackcomb Glacier area and Spanky's ladder. .... It's pretty steep, on the climb up I just never look down. I slipped once but only a few feet before managing to get my grip again but I've seen people slip down and just go down that side. ...I'll check when I get home next week to see if I have a photo of the Spanky's ladder climb area ...

I find icy bootpacks with poorly-defined steps a bit terrifying. I wonder if there is a technical fix -- full on crampons would be inappropriate (and overkill) but would anything in the "super cat-track" product category help?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I find icy bootpacks with poorly-defined steps a bit terrifying. I wonder if there is a technical fix -- full on crampons would be inappropriate (and overkill) but would anything in the "super cat-track" product category help?

We had a thread on this sometime around launch. Kahtoola Microspikes and Hillsound Trail Ultra were preferred there (for over walking boots) but I think you're really asking for something like the Stabilicers Lite walker.

Lady_Salina

Out on the slopes
Skier
IMG_4794_dpp.JPG
I'm not sure why the photo doesn't show on the original post for me anymore? The link is to my own website and I see it when i put it in on a reply but not on the original..... I can upload it direct but thought it would be better hosted on my own. This link http://parkersspace.com/images/IMG_4794_dpp.JPG