• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah TR: Peters Boys Road Trip '16-'17, Utah Edition

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
Plan was to fly out EARLY Friday Morning, over MLK weekend, to get into ski for Four days. We were staying in Eden in Wolf Creek (Inexpensive and nice!) and going to ski 1-2 days at Powder Mountain and 1-2 days at Snowbasin.

Other than the crappy Utah drivers, Utah was awesome. Although the mountains were "the most crowded they have ever been since I moved here 15 years ago" they were basically empty. In 4 days we didn't wait in a line ONCE. we skied on to every lift we were on. We never had an issue with crowds, or getting a parking spot, or a seat in a restaurant, or in the grocery store, or anything else.

Days 1-2 were at Powder Mountain:

First off, let me say that we skied untracked pretty much every run we skied. We got to the resort a half day after they got 60" of snow and were closed for 4 previous days. That's called perfect timing. Snow was heavy-ish which was just fine when you're from Tahoe. It was untracked, but it didn't really billow up over the bottoms much. We skied it with a local the first day and saw quite a few nice lines. The second day we cat skied in the morning and then skied more fresh snow the rest of the day. So, we had it pretty much perfect.

And that's not to say that we didn't hike, or traverse, or take 8 different lifts to get 500' of vertical and 20 turns...because we did. We also rode a snowcat 5 times to get to COMPLETELY untracked.

Here's an example. PowMow is beautiful, but this is all WAY lower angle than it looks.

img_1951-jpg.18662

So here's the thing. The mountain is funky. Sure, we know that, we've all read the reviews, seen the lodges, checked out the "vibe". But reality is, that it's not "good" funky. it's got crappy infrastructure in the lodges, hard to get from place to place on the mountain, their new "village" is in a totally inaccessible area on a crappy lift, the lifts themselves are cheap and afterthought/poorly placed.

This, in and of itself, is why this place retains powder--because stuff is so hard to get to and isn't consistent for periods of time. Sure, it's like "steep 6 turns, traverse/pole uphill, steep 12 turns, etc. Even the "steep gnar" isn't really all that and a bag of chips. I don't know. I skied with @4ster while there and that's what I came away with.

img_1950-jpg.18661

Note also that I got into the "best" terrain from what I've been told on Saturday (The davenport area) and saw what PowMow really has to offer. And honestly, except for the snow quality, how cheap it is, and the fact that you can ski untracked that long after the storm, it's kinda "meh".

This is our last run of our second day there, 3 days after a storm.

powmow-jpg.18669

Snowbasin (Day 3):

INCREDIBLE ski area, again, we had fantastic cold snow. Got to meet the beautiful and friendly @AmyPJ who, although she couldn't ski with us (hey, I invited her!) she did give us a "mountain host" tour of the trail map in the base village.

Also, didn't return a text from @tromano because apparently when your phone is in 3 degree temperature and apple decides that a 2 year old phone is totally obsolete, your battery dies and you don't have the option of communication. No pictures because, well, no phone.

So, what does Snowbasin offer? Cheap lift tickets ($89 online/$109 walk-up), incredible infrastructure (normal base area, not 4 disjointed ones where they stack you in so close you can't open your bumper--Literally parking is that tight at powmow). Grooming that actually makes it safe to ski the groomed runs. (Literally powder mountain it's unsafe for me to ski the groomers, the grooming is so bad--no joke.) The most incredible lodges and infrastructure I've ever seen on-mountain. Including Sun Valley, their sister resort. Impossibly, this place is nicer. And I used every bathroom facility on the mountain, in every lodge. Because I had to. The vertical and different aspects. Although the mountain faces mostly East-Northeast, it felt like you could get into some nooks and crannies sufficient at the different aspects to get good differences in snow.

And the vertical. With a decent infrastructure, you could ski really long runs and get easy/good rides back. Linking to/fro wasn't very hard, and getting from place to place felt fairly easy.

The food. Oh, the food. I like eating. A lot. And the food here was INCREDIBLE. I ate a beautiful grilled cheese, drink, fries, and bowl of soup for $15.41. @Rich Peters had Buffalo Chili and a beautiful green salad for the same price. The food, at 8700' was some of the best I've had anywhere...and I've eaten at some pretty good places. Nevermind it was at a flipping ski area!

We ate at the John Paul Lodge, and again had a desert and coffee at the Needles lodge. We booted up downstairs in the main lodge at bottom (I forgot the name.)

Now, where does Snowbasin fail? There aren't lifts to the highest/best parts of the mountain like I would prefer. It's a lot of hike-to terrain. There aren't that many good "meandering" groomers that are between green/blue level. There are some INCREDIBLE groomers in the high blue/black level, but it felt like a lot of the "easier" groomers were just glorified cat tracks. I guess the rumor is the snow isn't very good, but heck if that was the case with us. It was awesome for us.

Also, remember that Snowbasin IS NOT A RESORT. It is a SKI AREA. There is very little "commercial" infrastructure in terms of housing (there is none) or ski shops, restaurants, etc. Because other than the one on the hill, there isn't a shop. BUT if you accept it for what it is, as a commuter mountain, it's INCREDIBLE.

Okay, I'll throw in our final day for you all:

Day 4, Deer Valley Resort.

I got the idea to take @Rich Peters over to Deer Valley. I hadn't been there myself in 25 years and wanted to see what all the hubabaloo was all about. This was in lieu of powmow or Snowbasin, which I felt like we were kinda "done" with for our "vacation skiing" and wanted to try someplace else.

Well, we both like to be pampered (the Peters Boys are kind of princesses), like the niceties (we both are high end equipment whores), and we were ready for a ripping groomer day.

So Sunday night I called the Montage Deer Valley and booked a Spa day. We arrived at the Montage (upper Empire Village) and checked in. We dropped our equipment in the hands of the valets and went to a beautiful skiers breakfast buffet in the main dining room. From there we went down to the locker rooms in the spa to get ready.

Our lockers for the day:

img_1981-jpg.18668

We followed with some light stretching in the hot tub, and a nice beautiful pampered morning to get dressed/booted up.

We then leisurely strolled outside where the ski valets had placed our equipment out on the rack right by the Empire lift for us.

Needless to say we were starting off right.

We skied from Empire to Lady Morgan, Over to Ruby, and then proceeded to ski every high speed quad on the upper mountain all the way over to Mayflower. We skied low angle groomers, high speed groomers, steep bumped up runs....all of it.

We then went shopping! @Rich Peters tried on some of the new Mountain Force at Cole Sport in Silver Lake Village, and I bought a steezy new POC helmet and goggles! Fancy!

After Lunch (on the deck of the Stein Ericksen Lodge, which didn't suck but honestly was not as good as Snowbasin!) we hit the mid-mountain groomers, I raced @Rich Peters in the nastar course (he took me!) and then did a couple runs on the "lower" mountain down to the base-base. Oh, after we stared at the St. Regis and wondered if we should have gone there instead of Montage. :)

Lunch on the deck:

img_1963-jpg.18663

Deer Valley, in my opinion, is the best ski RESORT in the united states. From the "designated school zone areas" to the kids facility at the bottom, to the ability for EVERY LEVEL of skier to have an experience, it was AMAZING. Do you pay for it? Absolutely. It is expensive. But is it more expensive than Park City next door for the day? NO--it is cheaper and a better mountain/experience overall. Get this--food at the Stein Ericksen lodge was less than I would pay in a cafeteria at Park City.

img_1966-jpg.18665

Okay, so enough about the skiing, the grooming, the perfect high speed quad on EVERY meaningful lift, the perfect trail maps, the ease of getting from area to area, the signage, etc.

On to what we did after the ski day....well, we had a "drink" at the bar of the Montage, went over the day....then we proceeded to head back to the spa for our "treatments".

We did the cycle from Hot tub, to cold water "shocking the system", to dry sauna, back to cold water, to hot tub to cold water, to wet sauna to cold water back to hot tub! It was about an hour and a half of pampering.

We then went into the "Lounge at Montage" where we put our legs up and had a little 30 minute "quiet time".

img_1972-jpg.18667

Fully relaxed, we then hit the shower, where we each had beautiful huge double shower rain head areas and incredible products. That followed with shaving (kit provided), a little lotion (smelled so good) and teeth brushing. This all capped off by having the car pulled around, where we packed our bags and got headed off to our flights.

Shower and Shave before the flights:

img_1967-jpg.18666

My day at Deer Valley was literally the BEST ski day experience I've ever had. Simply unreal.

The drive out....

img_1964-jpg.18664

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
You pretty much nailed everything about Snowbasin, including the lack of meandering true blue groomers and lifts that service the top. The steep blues would be black diamonds at a lot of other resorts. And the easier blues are more like greens with steep blues tossed in in short stretches. Those lack of lifts to the top keep that snow up there untracked for a LONG time, so, trade offs! Its truly an incredible mountain and I am SO happy to be working there and skiing there basically every day. I'm sorry I couldn't take you on a tour. Sounds like you found your way around just fine!

I'm actually planning to hit DV this Sunday with an instructor friend who knows the mountain very well. Sounds like we might have some powder for that trip :D
Glad you guys had fun!

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Never been to Utah to ski. Now I HAVE to drive there this season at some point. Any photos of Snowbasin? Just looking at the map and I like it!

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Wow, just looked at some images. Stunning scenery and long pitches!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sorry I could join you two, looks like you had fun.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow, just looked at some images. Stunning scenery and long pitches!
We have the 3 longest lifts in UT! All are high speed, one quad and two gondolas. Each service one of our "3 distinct areas" of the mountain. Snowbasin can basically be divided into 3 areas, and each area has its own vibe and type of terrain. Throw in a few old-school triple chairs for good measure, and you just can't get bored here. Lucky me, I live less than 10 miles from the base area, with a view of the southern end of the mountain out my patio window.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry I could join you two, looks like you had fun.
See you in a few weeks! I've been given the "preferred test route" that the local shop uses when testing skis, and it's one I can ski top to bottom and one I ski all the time! It will hit just about every condition you could possible encounter, except maybe moguls (SB doesn't have a lot of mogul runs, and I'm OK with that! ogwink)

TahoeCharlie

...Major Tom...
Skier
We have the 3 longest lifts in UT! All are high speed, one quad and two gondolas. Each service one of our "3 distinct areas" of the mountain. Snowbasin can basically be divided into 3 areas, and each area has its own vibe and type of terrain. Throw in a few old-school triple chairs for good measure, and you just can't get bored here. Lucky me, I live less than 10 miles from the base area, with a view of the southern end of the mountain out my patio window.
Have some friends that live in North Ogden, about 20 minutes to SB, they left Tahoe about 4 years ago - got tired of the crowds and prices. I see them every year for 4-5 days of skiing at SB. If you are a decent skier, SB ROCKS! I believe the three main lifts are over 2,200 ft vertical each. The long blue/black groomers are SUPER FUN - the greens, not so much. Good off-piste and hike-to runs.

@Jed Peters, your report is spot on, great lodges, great food, great infrastructure, not crowded and VERY reasonable prices.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Plan was to fly out EARLY Friday Morning, over MLK weekend, to get into ski for Four days. We were staying in Eden in Wolf Creek (Inexpensive and nice!) and going to ski 1-2 days at Powder Mountain and 1-2 days at Snowbasin.

Other than the crappy Utah drivers, Utah was awesome. Although the mountains were "the most crowded they have ever been since I moved here 15 years ago" they were basically empty. In 4 days we didn't wait in a line ONCE. we skied on to every lift we were on. We never had an issue with crowds, or getting a parking spot, or a seat in a restaurant, or in the grocery store, or anything else.

Days 1-2 were at Powder Mountain:

First off, let me say that we skied untracked pretty much every run we skied. We got to the resort a half day after they got 60" of snow and were closed for 4 previous days. That's called perfect timing. Snow was heavy-ish which was just fine when you're from Tahoe. It was untracked, but it didn't really billow up over the bottoms much. We skied it with a local the first day and saw quite a few nice lines. The second day we cat skied in the morning and then skied more fresh snow the rest of the day. So, we had it pretty much perfect.

And that's not to say that we didn't hike, or traverse, or take 8 different lifts to get 500' of vertical and 20 turns...because we did. We also rode a snowcat 5 times to get to COMPLETELY untracked.

Here's an example. PowMow is beautiful, but this is all WAY lower angle than it looks.

img_1951-jpg.18662

So here's the thing. The mountain is funky. Sure, we know that, we've all read the reviews, seen the lodges, checked out the "vibe". But reality is, that it's not "good" funky. it's got crappy infrastructure in the lodges, hard to get from place to place on the mountain, their new "village" is in a totally inaccessible area on a crappy lift, the lifts themselves are cheap and afterthought/poorly placed.

This, in and of itself, is why this place retains powder--because stuff is so hard to get to and isn't consistent for periods of time. Sure, it's like "steep 6 turns, traverse/pole uphill, steep 12 turns, etc. Even the "steep gnar" isn't really all that and a bag of chips. I don't know. I skied with @4ster while there and that's what I came away with.

img_1950-jpg.18661

Note also that I got into the "best" terrain from what I've been told on Saturday (The davenport area) and saw what PowMow really has to offer. And honestly, except for the snow quality, how cheap it is, and the fact that you can ski untracked that long after the storm, it's kinda "meh".

This is our last run of our second day there, 3 days after a storm.

powmow-jpg.18669

Snowbasin (Day 3):

INCREDIBLE ski area, again, we had fantastic cold snow. Got to meet the beautiful and friendly @AmyPJ who, although she couldn't ski with us (hey, I invited her!) she did give us a "mountain host" tour of the trail map in the base village.

Also, didn't return a text from @tromano because apparently when your phone is in 3 degree temperature and apple decides that a 2 year old phone is totally obsolete, your battery dies and you don't have the option of communication. No pictures because, well, no phone.

So, what does Snowbasin offer? Cheap lift tickets ($89 online/$109 walk-up), incredible infrastructure (normal base area, not 4 disjointed ones where they stack you in so close you can't open your bumper--Literally parking is that tight at powmow). Grooming that actually makes it safe to ski the groomed runs. (Literally powder mountain it's unsafe for me to ski the groomers, the grooming is so bad--no joke.) The most incredible lodges and infrastructure I've ever seen on-mountain. Including Sun Valley, their sister resort. Impossibly, this place is nicer. And I used every bathroom facility on the mountain, in every lodge. Because I had to. The vertical and different aspects. Although the mountain faces mostly East-Northeast, it felt like you could get into some nooks and crannies sufficient at the different aspects to get good differences in snow.

And the vertical. With a decent infrastructure, you could ski really long runs and get easy/good rides back. Linking to/fro wasn't very hard, and getting from place to place felt fairly easy.

The food. Oh, the food. I like eating. A lot. And the food here was INCREDIBLE. I ate a beautiful grilled cheese, drink, fries, and bowl of soup for $15.41. @Rich Peters had Buffalo Chili and a beautiful green salad for the same price. The food, at 8700' was some of the best I've had anywhere...and I've eaten at some pretty good places. Nevermind it was at a flipping ski area!

We ate at the John Paul Lodge, and again had a desert and coffee at the Needles lodge. We booted up downstairs in the main lodge at bottom (I forgot the name.)

Now, where does Snowbasin fail? There aren't lifts to the highest/best parts of the mountain like I would prefer. It's a lot of hike-to terrain. There aren't that many good "meandering" groomers that are between green/blue level. There are some INCREDIBLE groomers in the high blue/black level, but it felt like a lot of the "easier" groomers were just glorified cat tracks. I guess the rumor is the snow isn't very good, but heck if that was the case with us. It was awesome for us.

Also, remember that Snowbasin IS NOT A RESORT. It is a SKI AREA. There is very little "commercial" infrastructure in terms of housing (there is none) or ski shops, restaurants, etc. Because other than the one on the hill, there isn't a shop. BUT if you accept it for what it is, as a commuter mountain, it's INCREDIBLE.

Okay, I'll throw in our final day for you all:

Day 4, Deer Valley Resort.

I got the idea to take @Rich Peters over to Deer Valley. I hadn't been there myself in 25 years and wanted to see what all the hubabaloo was all about. This was in lieu of powmow or Snowbasin, which I felt like we were kinda "done" with for our "vacation skiing" and wanted to try someplace else.

Well, we both like to be pampered (the Peters Boys are kind of princesses), like the niceties (we both are high end equipment whores), and we were ready for a ripping groomer day.

So Sunday night I called the Montage Deer Valley and booked a Spa day. We arrived at the Montage (upper Empire Village) and checked in. We dropped our equipment in the hands of the valets and went to a beautiful skiers breakfast buffet in the main dining room. From there we went down to the locker rooms in the spa to get ready.

Our lockers for the day:

img_1981-jpg.18668

We followed with some light stretching in the hot tub, and a nice beautiful pampered morning to get dressed/booted up.

We then leisurely strolled outside where the ski valets had placed our equipment out on the rack right by the Empire lift for us.

Needless to say we were starting off right.

We skied from Empire to Lady Morgan, Over to Ruby, and then proceeded to ski every high speed quad on the upper mountain all the way over to Mayflower. We skied low angle groomers, high speed groomers, steep bumped up runs....all of it.

We then went shopping! @Rich Peters tried on some of the new Mountain Force at Cole Sport in Silver Lake Village, and I bought a steezy new POC helmet and goggles! Fancy!

After Lunch (on the deck of the Stein Ericksen Lodge, which didn't suck but honestly was not as good as Snowbasin!) we hit the mid-mountain groomers, I raced @Rich Peters in the nastar course (he took me!) and then did a couple runs on the "lower" mountain down to the base-base. Oh, after we stared at the St. Regis and wondered if we should have gone there instead of Montage. :)

Lunch on the deck:

img_1963-jpg.18663

Deer Valley, in my opinion, is the best ski RESORT in the united states. From the "designated school zone areas" to the kids facility at the bottom, to the ability for EVERY LEVEL of skier to have an experience, it was AMAZING. Do you pay for it? Absolutely. It is expensive. But is it more expensive than Park City next door for the day? NO--it is cheaper and a better mountain/experience overall. Get this--food at the Stein Ericksen lodge was less than I would pay in a cafeteria at Park City.

img_1966-jpg.18665

Okay, so enough about the skiing, the grooming, the perfect high speed quad on EVERY meaningful lift, the perfect trail maps, the ease of getting from area to area, the signage, etc.

On to what we did after the ski day....well, we had a "drink" at the bar of the Montage, went over the day....then we proceeded to head back to the spa for our "treatments".

We did the cycle from Hot tub, to cold water "shocking the system", to dry sauna, back to cold water, to hot tub to cold water, to wet sauna to cold water back to hot tub! It was about an hour and a half of pampering.

We then went into the "Lounge at Montage" where we put our legs up and had a little 30 minute "quiet time".

img_1972-jpg.18667

Fully relaxed, we then hit the shower, where we each had beautiful huge double shower rain head areas and incredible products. That followed with shaving (kit provided), a little lotion (smelled so good) and teeth brushing. This all capped off by having the car pulled around, where we packed our bags and got headed off to our flights.

Shower and Shave before the flights:

img_1967-jpg.18666

My day at Deer Valley was literally the BEST ski day experience I've ever had. Simply unreal.

The drive out....

img_1964-jpg.18664
Fantastic TR. Thank a lot for that, Jed. Ahhh. These pictures of Stein Eriksen Lodge make me salivate. I love this place (including DV). We've been there these two last seasons, and we are planning on going this year too. It became our Springbreak spot. To your point: not cheap, but a great value. My wife has a lot of stuff to do while we ski, and the mid-mountain accomodations plus ski valet make it super easy to juggle the kids. Wish we could be thete every weekend in winter :D

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Have some friends that live in North Ogden, about 20 minutes to SB, they left Tahoe about 4 years ago - got tired of the crowds and prices. I see them every year for 4-5 days of skiing at SB. If you are a decent skier, SB ROCKS! I believe the three main lifts are over 2,200 ft vertical each. The long blue/black groomers are SUPER FUN - the greens, not so much. Good off-piste and hike-to runs.

@Jed Peters, your report is spot on, great lodges, great food, great infrastructure, not crowded and VERY reasonable prices.
Yep, the three longest lifts (and high speed ones at that!) in the state of Utah! They get skiers from the bottom to the top in short order!

TS
Jed Peters

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
@Jed Peters, Out of curiosity did you two take the Z-90's to UT and, if so, how did they perform in the UT pow and groomers?

@Rich Peters and myself both took ours. They were great for the last two days of skiing, they didn't leave the bag the first two days.

@Philpug will have a pair of Z90 180cm skis set up with demo binders (I'm told) by next week. If you're interested in the compare and contrast between the 174 and 180, I would talk to him, as I think he will have both. He defintately turned me on to @Cyrus Schenck's "secret sauce".

Sponsor