• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

LizzyDimond

Booting up
Skier
Looking for advice regarding touring boots as my scarpa gea 1.0 boots are way too wide in the mid/forefoot. I was recently measured and my feet are 23.5 and width 91mm. I will be using these boots for peak bagging, but also enjoy a nice stiff boot for the ascent. I really hate soft women's boots as I like pushing pretty hard. Ideally, I'd like a boot around 1350g as that's approximately what the geas are and I find that weight perfectly comfortable. Willing to haul a bit more up too if it means significantly improved performance. Yes, I will go to a boot fitter but I would like to do some research beforehand. Any suggestions? Seems to be a bit tricky to find a good fit based on my experience...thanks :)

TS
LizzyDimond

LizzyDimond

Booting up
Skier
My alpine boots are jr. Head Raptors boys boots and they are perfect. Unfortunately they dont make jr. touring boots haha

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
Be sure to try an Atomic Ultra XTD. Depending on your binding needs, you probably want this years version which is Grip Walk, previous was WTR.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
+1 to the Zero G line. If you've been happy with the non-RS Gea, you might be able to get away with the Zero G Tour. They also come in the stiffer Tour Scouts, and the Men's Zero G Pro also goes down to a 23.5.

Sparkles are pretty narrow too, and if you come across a Dynafit Mercury or Vulcan, I've yet to find something that works as well for my low volume foot - especially if you're particularly narrow in the heel/instep.

TS
LizzyDimond

LizzyDimond

Booting up
Skier
Be sure to try an Atomic Ultra XTD. Depending on your binding needs, you probably want this years version which is Grip Walk, previous was WTR.

Thanks! Do you know how well these boots would handle rocky/icy terrain? I want to use then for peak bagging but I'm worried because they dont have a full vibram sole!

TS
LizzyDimond

LizzyDimond

Booting up
Skier
+1 to the Zero G line. If you've been happy with the non-RS Gea, you might be able to get away with the Zero G Tour. They also come in the stiffer Tour Scouts, and the Men's Zero G Pro also goes down to a 23.5.

Sparkles are pretty narrow too, and if you come across a Dynafit Mercury or Vulcan, I've yet to find something that works as well for my low volume foot - especially if you're particularly narrow in the heel/instep.

Cool! Thanks! They look like an awesome line of boots. Would be nice if it worked out. I like that they have full vibram soles with good tread.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Cool! Thanks! They look like an awesome line of boots. Would be nice if it worked out. I like that they have full vibram soles with good tread.

I have the Dynafit Hojis PX (Men's but there are women's versions too) and they ski great but hike really great as well. Despite their specs they fit pretty narrow/low volume.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Thanks! Do you know how well these boots would handle rocky/icy terrain? I want to use then for peak bagging but I'm worried because they dont have a full vibram sole!

Not sure about the new Gripwalk sole, but the Hawx XTD with WTR wouldn't be my first choice for sketchy rocky terrain. They are okay, but certainly a few notches below my TLT6s or my buddies Zero Gs.

TS
LizzyDimond

LizzyDimond

Booting up
Skier
I have the Dynafit Hojis PX (Men's but there are women's versions too) and they ski great but hike really great as well. Despite their specs they fit pretty narrow/low volume.

I'd love to try the new Hoji boots but I need the toe welt (to use with my shifts) and they dont make the new ones small enough or have a women's version :'( :'(

TS
LizzyDimond

LizzyDimond

Booting up
Skier
Not sure about the new Gripwalk sole, but the Hawx XTD with WTR wouldn't be my first choice for sketchy rocky terrain. They are okay, but certainly a few notches below my TLT6s or my buddies Zero Gs.

Lets hope the Zero Gs work! Or maybe I'll be stuck wearing crampons more frequently haha...

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
Despite what the binding makers say about release with rubber soles, if you are using shifts, it's worth reading this-

https://www.wildsnow.com/21152/ski-binding-release-avalanche-safety/

The simplified conclusion is that sliding AFDs and rubber soles mostly fail the more stringent binding tests that apply downward force on release.

The choice of rubber for safe hiking vs safe release going down should be that, a choice based on full info.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Man, I was going to say the Scarpa Geas are pretty narrow in the forefoot (because my foot feels like it's folded up like a taco in them) .... I've got nothing for you other than empathy in finding touring boots. :(

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
The Fischer My Ranger Free 110 Walk DYN has a pretty narrow last (99 mm @ 25.5), the narrowest I found (apart from dedicated full carbon race models).

I have the unisex version of that boot: light, powerfull, great range of motion, easy walk mode.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
These may be too downhill oriented for you but I ski a Scarpa Freedom SL with a zip fit liner, and you can switch out tech and alpine soles on them.

I have ridiculously narrow feet. The narrowest Lange was too wide and my last boots were jr Nordica plug race boots. These boots are narrow in the midfoot where I need it most. They are awesome downhill boots.

Good luck!

TS
LizzyDimond

LizzyDimond

Booting up
Skier
These may be too downhill oriented for you but I ski a Scarpa Freedom SL with a zip fit liner, and you can switch out tech and alpine soles on them.

I have ridiculously narrow feet. The narrowest Lange was too wide and my last boots were jr Nordica plug race boots. These boots are narrow in the midfoot where I need it most. They are awesome downhill boots.

Good luck!

Thanks! Good to know! Happy to get all the info I can :)

TS
LizzyDimond

LizzyDimond

Booting up
Skier
The Fischer My Ranger Free 110 Walk DYN has a pretty narrow last (99 mm @ 25.5), the narrowest I found (apart from dedicated full carbon race models).

I have the unisex version of that boot: light, powerfull, great range of motion, easy walk mode.

Thanks! Fisher isnt a brand I've used before so good to hear they make narrow boots too!

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Lets hope the Zero Gs work! Or maybe I'll be stuck wearing crampons more frequently haha...
I couldn't get past the Zero G's pointy toe shape but felt the instep had too much volume and was not low enough for me coming from a Solomon S-Max Alpine boot. I also didn't find the heel pocket to be the closest fitting either. OTT I thought the lightweight, decent ROM, overlap design and higher cuff where great.
The Dynafit Hoji on the other hand held my heel like a vice. Lower volume over the instep with a decent toe shape yet the entire outer edge of my foot went numb walking around the shop, so it may be narrow enough for you?
The Atomic Hawx XTD is another one that worked for me, probably better than the Hoji in that it wasn't as narrow and constricting but still good, definitely not sloppy roomy feeling.
I plan to try the Atomic Hawx XTD and Dynafit Hoji again this year.
Fischer ranger was also suggested but I couldn't find it in my size. When looking at it on the boot wall I did think the instep height appeared to be on the higher side for me, again IDK having not been able to try on a pair.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Thanks! Fisher isnt a brand I've used before so good to hear they make narrow boots too!

I tried them on. They are not that narrow. Honestly the stated specs in boots are only a rough guide at best. One has to really try boots on since there are no reliable standards in the industry. Unless you have direct experience with a brand and model line choosing a boot online is really a crapshoot.

Sponsor

Staff online