• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Safety Touring around Berthoud Pass / Fraiser

MattSmith

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hello to the back country community. This is almost certainly representative of a "noob post", but here it goes anyway.

I'm looking for touring partners this week around the Berthoud Pass / Fraiser area. No fresh snow on lift serviced terrain, warmer temps and a (seemingly) decreasing avalanche risk - I'd love to finally get out and make some laps. I'm just looking to get out and get the legs working over trying to find some radical terrain.

My credentials: I've completed Aiare Level 1 and Wilderness First Responder training. I come prepared and show up on time. I am in decent shape, but haven't skinned at elevation so who knows how fast I'll be.

Any takers or connections will be very much appreciated. Enjoy the sun! (don't forget the sunscreen)

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Hello to the back country community. This is almost certainly representative of a "noob post", but here it goes anyway.

I'm looking for touring partners this week around the Berthoud Pass / Fraiser area. No fresh snow on lift serviced terrain, warmer temps and a (seemingly) decreasing avalanche risk - I'd love to finally get out and make some laps. I'm just looking to get out and get the legs working over trying to find some radical terrain.

My credentials: I've completed Aiare Level 1 and Wilderness First Responder training. I come prepared and show up on time. I am in decent shape, but haven't skinned at elevation so who knows how fast I'll be.

Any takers or connections will be very much appreciated. Enjoy the sun! (don't forget the sunscreen)

How about Wednesday at B Pass? We can meet at the main lot. Should be a perfect weather day!

K

TS
MattSmith

MattSmith

Out on the slopes
Skier
How about Wednesday at B Pass? We can meet at the main lot. Should be a perfect weather day!

K
That sounds great! I will so look forward to it Ken. I can be ready just about any time. Let me know. I'll PM you my mobile number.
-Matt

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Awesome day today with @MattSmith !

The day was really spectacular with clear skies and very little wind. The snow conditions were very variable depending on aspect, elevation and time of day. Fun day nonetheless. At the end I had the best turns in the wet snow! lower down. It will be a fantastic spring there is just so much snow out there its insane! Bottom line, winter above 11k and spring below that. We avoided all avy terrain but it sure looked VERY tempting. Patience.

This was 1/3 of the way up on the trail, still PLENTY of breakable crust. Turned to soft wet snow later though.
IMG_4293.JPG
IMG_4299.JPG
IMG_4295.JPG

Yep, thats Winter Park's Cirque

IMG_4301.JPG
IMG_4317.JPG
IMG_4309.JPG

TS
MattSmith

MattSmith

Out on the slopes
Skier
Great pictures. 100% agree with the summary @Ken_R provided. Loved the sun and touring around to check out the terrain. Some really interesting lines to be poached once the snow pack allows.

We started out at the 2nd Creek parking lot. I was reasonably happy with my preparedness. I was apprehensive about temperature and hydration management so I had multiple options ready to go. I went with the lightest weight option, hence the Dynafit shell in the pictures.
20190320_100848.jpg

@Ken_R leading the way and breaking out of the heavy trees. We traded messages on route options and made a conservative choice. While avalanche forecaster are posting a Moderate risk, the extreme consequences of a slide steers us away from any significant avalanche terrain. I'm using a combination of CalTopo, Gaia GPS, and the Colorado Avalanche Information center as references. Even with these resources, I wouldn't have gone if @Ken_R had not partnered up.
20190320_101458.jpg

A distant look at the ridge line shown in Ken's photos
20190320_102639.jpg

A few pictures of Broome Hut. This would be a really cool place to spend a few days and nights doing laps off of the ridge. Heck of a view out the window.

20190320_110535.jpg

20190320_110653.jpg

@Ken_R for perspective on a huge amount of wind loaded snow. You can see how the wind comes up the creek bed and hammers this spot to load up and carve out the feature.
20190320_115031.jpg

20190320_115032.jpg

Always fun to see pups out for a trek.
20190320_115558.jpg

Winter Park ski boundry, just about the Cirque.
20190320_123503.jpg

Patrons catching a ride.
20190320_123838.jpg

An excellent day toasted at 11,350 feet. I felt pretty good out there. Lungs were good. Legs were good. Guidance was excellent. I made 1 huge rookie mistake. I didn't bring the beers. Doh! Major faux pas that will be accounted for on future treks. Today we got it.
20190320_132401.jpg

Attachments

• 20190320_110926.jpg
    20190320_110926.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Great pictures. 100% agree with the summary @Ken_R provided. Loved the sun and touring around to check out the terrain. Some really interesting lines to be poached once the snow pack allows.

We started out at the 2nd Creek parking lot. I was reasonably happy with my preparedness. I was apprehensive about temperature and hydration management so I had multiple options ready to go. I went with the lightest weight option, hence the Dynafit shell in the pictures.
View attachment 69152

@Ken_R leading the way and breaking out of the heavy trees. We traded messages on route options and made a conservative choice. While avalanche forecaster are posting a Moderate risk, the extreme consequences of a slide steers us away from any significant avalanche terrain. I'm using a combination of CalTopo, Gaia GPS, and the Colorado Avalanche Information center as references. Even with these resources, I wouldn't have gone if @Ken_R had not partnered up.
View attachment 69136

A distant look at the ridge line shown in Ken's photos View attachment 69138

A few pictures of Broome Hut. This would be a really cool place to spend a few days and nights doing laps off of the ridge. Heck of a view out the window.

View attachment 69140
View attachment 69141

@Ken_R for perspective on a huge amount of wind loaded snow. You can see how the wind comes up the creek bed and hammers this spot to load up and carve out the feature.
View attachment 69143

View attachment 69144

Always fun to see pups out for a trek.
View attachment 69145

Winter Park ski boundry, just about the Cirque. View attachment 69146
Patrons catching a ride.
View attachment 69147

An excellent day toasted at 11,350 feet. I felt pretty good out there. Lungs were good. Legs were good. Guidance was excellent. I made 1 huge rookie mistake. I didn't bring the beers. Doh! Major faux pas that will be accounted for on future treks. Today we got it.
View attachment 69148

Awesome Pics Matt! It was great touring with you. I will be out of state to work (again, gotta pay for the toys!) and hopefully you will be here when I get back. Conditions should be more and more stable as the days pass.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
@MattSmith - Matt, not sure if you're still touring this season, but once the snow pack improves in the Spring, I'll throw my hat into the ring for some tours. I'm a total noob, with no backcountry experience, but more than willing to learn all I can. Ken and I have been chatting about doing a tour once he returns from a work trip.

TS
MattSmith

MattSmith

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hells yeah! I've been doing low angle back country through the winter. If you want to get some experience and legs before the spring season, come on out to Eagle Co. Meadow Mountain is excellent training ground. The rangers set up a beacon park this year. Pretty neat.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Hells yeah! I've been doing low angle back country through the winter. If you want to get some experience and legs before the spring season, come on out to Eagle Co. Meadow Mountain is excellent training ground. The rangers set up a beacon park this year. Pretty neat.

Matt - I may just take you up on that offer as soon as my schedule allows.