Touch Up Base Edge

Discussion in 'Tuning Techniques and Tool Information' started by Wilhelmson, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Wilhelmson

Wilhelmson Out on the slopes Skier

Between the four of us there's frequently the inevitable nick in the base edge.

I use a base guide to go over them lightly with a worn out diamond stone. Is this the safest method or are there better ways?

2. Jacques

Jacques Workin' It on Skis Best I Can Skier

That should be fine. As you know just stroke enough to remove the high spots.
    I like to use a 600 ceramic stone for the same. I think it is safer and better than using a diamond stone over burrs.

3. BC.

BC. NEPA ShopRat/Skier Skier

Jacques...you have so many great tips.....A tip I would have for you and others that share their methods is to possibly (if you have a chance) include a pic of the type of stone/file that you are using for all your different methods. You guys always reference the grit/number.......but to us visual learners if we could see the actual file/stone you are using....it would help.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    Jacques likes this.
  4. James

James Skiing the powder Instructor

You're just taking off the high spots. The base edge may be left with grooves. Nothing you can do about it without redoing the whole base. Eg, grinding. Just live with it till it's necessary to regrind because filing the side edge can't sharpen the edge or the base ptex isn't flat.

An edge is two planes. We only file one plane. At some point the base plane is too worn where it meets the side plane that sharpening just the side doesn't get the edge sharp. Or more accurately, you'd have to take an enormous amount off the side to make the intersection sharp. Grinding the base and setting for he base edge restores that.

Marker likes this.
  5. Jacques

Jacques Workin' It on Skis Best I Can Skier

Go to this page to see the ceramics. https://the-raceplace.com/collections/files-stones/products/ceramic-stone