• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Touch Up Base Edge

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Between the four of us there's frequently the inevitable nick in the base edge.

I use a base guide to go over them lightly with a worn out diamond stone. Is this the safest method or are there better ways?

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Between the four of us there's frequently the inevitable nick in the base edge.

I use a base guide to go over them lightly with a worn out diamond stone. Is this the safest method or are there better ways?

That should be fine. As you know just stroke enough to remove the high spots.
I like to use a 600 ceramic stone for the same. I think it is safer and better than using a diamond stone over burrs.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That should be fine. As you know just stroke enough to remove the high spots.
I like to use a 600 ceramic stone for the same. I think it is safer and better than using a diamond stone over burrs.

Jacques...you have so many great tips.....A tip I would have for you and others that share their methods is to possibly (if you have a chance) include a pic of the type of stone/file that you are using for all your different methods. You guys always reference the grit/number.......but to us visual learners if we could see the actual file/stone you are using....it would help.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
You're just taking off the high spots. The base edge may be left with grooves. Nothing you can do about it without redoing the whole base. Eg, grinding. Just live with it till it's necessary to regrind because filing the side edge can't sharpen the edge or the base ptex isn't flat.

An edge is two planes. We only file one plane. At some point the base plane is too worn where it meets the side plane that sharpening just the side doesn't get the edge sharp. Or more accurately, you'd have to take an enormous amount off the side to make the intersection sharp. Grinding the base and setting for he base edge restores that.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Jacques...you have so many great tips.....A tip I would have for you and others that share their methods is to possibly (if you have a chance) include a pic of the type of stone/file that you are using for all your different methods. You guys always reference the grit/number.......but to us visual learners if we could see the actual file/stone you are using....it would help.

Go to this page to see the ceramics. https://the-raceplace.com/collections/files-stones/products/ceramic-stone

Sponsor