Torn between winter and summer

Discussion in 'General Cycling' started by Tricia, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Tricia

Tricia The Velvet Hammer Admin Pugski Ski Tester

This is the first time in a very long time that I'm watching summer fade and am wondering how many times I can get a bike ride in before I start skiing.

I can't believe that I'm getting stoked for winter like I am, while I'm still thinking about mountain biking again.
    This is a good problem to have.

Winter vs Summer
    Everyones a winner.
    IMG_0125.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_4831.jpeg

Ron, Tony S, Kiki and 6 others like this.
  2. coskigirl

coskigirl Making fresh tracks Skier

I'm having an especially hard time this year because I've such limited time to get outside now. I can jump on a bike and get out for an hour or 2 between study sessions whereas when ski season starts I'm looking at a minimum of 4 hours to ski a couple of hours at Eldora (my closest mountain). Once daylight saving time ends I'll no longer be able to do post-work rides so I'll pretty much be limited to every other weekend and none of that is good for overall balance.

3. scott43

scott43 Making fresh tracks Skier

This is why god invented seasons.. :) I don't understand people who play hockey in summer..so much other stuff to do!

4. luliski

luliski Out on the slopes Skier

That is a good problem to have. I plan on riding year round this year. WInter seems far away since I don't usually start skiing much until January.

5. Tom K.

Tom K. HRPufnStf Skier

I ride year round and enjoy it. Our windows of closure from road biking are seldom over one week (NM the winter of 16/17).

Luckily, in a way, we ARE closed out of mtb most of the winter, so I'm always good and hungry for dirt once April arrives!

mikel likes this.

6. Wilhelmson

Wilhelmson Getting off the lift Skier

I need to fnd the right outfit to wear so I can bike more this winter. Especially some good gloves. Once it drops below 20 degrees I switch to running, which isn't fun at all. If there's enough snow I xc a couple times a week which keeps me in great shape for skiing.

coskigirl likes this.
  7. coskigirl

I've picked up several Pearl Izumi fleece jerseys which under a windbreaker and with a couple of base/mid layers will get me down to around 20. I use the jerseys for ski layers too because they are close cut so they layer under other things well. I have capris and tights including a pair of PI AmFIB tights which are pretty extreme. I also have a pair of AmFIB shoe covers. A friend is a fit model for PI and twice a year he gets coupons to give to family and friends so I stock up when I have those. Next up I also need a better pair of gloves. I have a pair of softshells that I'll put another fleece pair under but I think I want a pair of lobster claw style.

8. luliski

It's the worst when it's cold but no snow. I don't live in that type of climate anymore, but it used to frustrate me when I lived in the Chicago area. Then again, when it snowed there were no mountains....

9. luliski

That's dedication! It doesn't get that cold where I live (down to freezing a few nights a winter, 40s or 50s during day), but I always have to wear a beanie under my helmet when it starts getting cold. There's just something about cold air rushing by my ears that I don't like.

coskigirl likes this.
  10. coskigirl

Oh, absolutely, a beanie or an ear band depending on how cold and often a buff.

luliski likes this.
  11. 4ster

4ster Now with more photos! Instructor

That's why Spring is my favorite season, we can do both! Otherwise, I just take what I get & try to make the most of it ;)
    Jay's ski bike.jpg

TexasStout, ZionPow, Ken_R and 4 others like this.
  12. Tom K.

Tom K. HRPufnStf Skier

When it's really cold, I've kind of given up on heavy gloves if I still want to ride. Occasionally, when we're in Butte MT at Christmas (cold as heck) in a low snow year, I use bar mitts on my hard tail mtb. It is astounding how warm they are.

The best IMO: https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/products/singletrack-pogie

Almost as good: http://barmitts.com/

Let me know if you ever take the plunge. I've got a few mounting tricks that make things less frustrating.

As far as "cold-ish" gloves (down to 25 or so) I have to say my favorites are Swix XC gloves. Better than any bike specific cold weather gloves I've ever tried.

13. VickiK

VickiK Getting off the lift Skier

Torn between two pasttimes, feelin' so confused
    Lovin' both of you is breakin' Pugski rules

Tony S and Tricia like this.
  14. Brian Likes Pow

Brian Likes Pow Out on the slopes Skier

Honestly @Tricia where you live you can bike a damn good part of the cold months down there and ski as well. Your days just got really good and when the skiing sucks generally the biking is good and when the biking is shut that means the snow factory is on. My first winter here I biked the rim trail in mid January. ...not looking to repeat that hot mess of a winter but it takes the sting out of those long dry spells we get.

luliski, coskigirl and Tricia like this.
  15. Ken_R

Ken_R Living the Dream Skier

Cycling and Skiing have been my two passions for many years now and honestly Colorado is really an amazing place to do both most of the year. I really rode a LOT during ski season and did not have to endure crazy low temps. Thats the advantage of living lower down here in the Denver area. Downside? Powder Day drives in Winter although getting out very early helps. I just nap on the lot or go for a skin before lifts start spinning.

That said, fall is a bitter/sweet time of year. I love it but its an emotional time for me.

luliski and coskigirl like this.
  16. Mac

Mac Booting up Skier

I just transition with the seasons and the weather. In the summer I'm on my road bike. When it gets colder in the fall I'll switch to the mountain bike, it's always warmer in the woods. I'll also get into hiking as soon as it cools down. When there's too much snow in the woods to hike or bike, I'll get out the snowshoes and switch bikes. I'm not going to ride my good road bike with ice, sand and salt on the roads when it's below freezing, but I will get out my beater bike with 38c cross tires and bang out 15-20 miles on some hilly roads. It's nice to mix it up, keeps me from getting burnt out on any one thing, tends to keep me motivated, and the weather and the season helps keep it fresh by dictating what I'm going to be doing on any given day. And I do manage to do this and still get in some skiing in from time to time, too.

Ken_R likes this.
  17. Brian Likes Pow

Brian Likes Pow Out on the slopes Skier

Throw in a kayak and your covered under any scenario...something is always gonna be going off

18. Mac

Mac Booting up Skier

I actually do some kayaking from time to time, but not enough to mention.

19. surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl Instructor, newbie Subaru driver and winter lover Skier

I'm not really torn between liking winter and summer. Winter is the clear winner for me. However, I do get somewhat into summer and love a lot of things about it so that when it ends and I'm about to switch gears to winter I'm a little bummed about the things I'm going to miss. Then after that first slide on snow summer is dead to me. ;)

NZRob and TexasStout like this.
  20. UGASkiDawg

UGASkiDawg AKA David Pugski Ski Tester

Summer is basically over in a couple of weeks. I've only got a few weeks left that that it won't be dark when I start start/leave for work and dark when I stop/get home from work. Riding moves inside to the Peloton and hunting season on the weekends then Copper opens and next thing you know it's the Gathering and then beaching at the Basin.