• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Top 5....

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Top 5 teeth-gritters:
  • "If you have any questions, see myself"
  • "Me and Jamie are going out" (and the somehow inevitable "Allie talked to Mike and I")
  • "There are less people getting infected now"
  • "I love it's color""
  • "I could care less what other people think"
Agreed except for "less". Sure, fewer is more correct, but that one is common enough that it seems to be changing and doesn't grate, IMO. Maybe think of it as "a lesser number of"?

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
no. it grates like fingernails on a blackboard.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Top 5 musicals/Broadway shows I've seen:
  1. Les Miserables
  2. Rent
  3. Phantom of the Opera
  4. Chicago
  5. Tommy

Top 5 Broadway shows I've seen:
1. Camelot
2. Music Man
3. West Side Story
4. Cabaret
5. Barefoot in the Park (beats out Half a Sixpence by a hair)

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Only Broadway show I have seen...

1. Spamalot

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Top 5 third cars that I would like to own (realistic)

1. Volkwagen Rabbit GTI Mk1 (but these are quickly becoming unrealistic)
2. Kei Car, almost any
3. Small pick up. 2WD
4. Miata RF 30th anniversary
5. Subaru Brat

Gary Stolt

Mr. Style
Team Gathermeister
Fair enough.
I grew up with two giant Black Walnut trees in our yard. We had to pick up every stinking (and I do mean stinking) one of those things either in the fall or spring. If you happened to have one fall on your car, it would leave a serious dent.
We have an oak tree in our yard now. There is a time of year that it leaves a sticky film on everything in its area, and the acorns are miserable if you accidentally step on one.

I'm wondering why we like trees so much. Agree with the pine and walnut comments - I have a couple of each. Would also include Birch, and maybe its at the top of the list. A very dirty tree - have to clean up the small fallen branches almost every day.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Top 5 things @Philpug loses on a regular basis
  1. Wallet
  2. Glasses (both sun glasses and readers, but never his whiskey glass)
  3. Phone
  4. Car keys
  5. Ear buds

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

AlpedHuez

Chasing that Odermatt form
Skier
Top 5 Gnarliest [Marked] On-Piste Resort Runs - European Edition
1. The Swiss Wall a.k.a. La Chavanette (Portes du Soleil)
2. The Streif (Kitzbühel)
3. Le Tunnel (Alpe d'Huez)
4. Le Grand Couloir (Courchvel, Trois Vallées)
5. Le Face de Bellevard (Val d'Isere)

Last edited:

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
"I could care less what other people think"
This is one of the weirdest differences between English English and American English. The quote is pretty much standard in American English, whereas the English English is "I couldn't case less what other people think".
So, let's analyze it (or analyse it):
American version: I could care less = I am not at the minimum level of caring about what other people think, therefore I do actually care a bit more than the minimum (which is NOT what is meant)
English version: I couldn't care less = I am at the minimum possible level of caring about what other people think and therefore do not care at all from my point of view (which is what is meant in both languages).

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Top 5 trees I like because they annoy the living daylights out of people next door:

1. White mulberry by the side fence - yes your grassless and treeless 'outdoor' living space is going to look like the geese squitted on it, from late April through mid June. So sorry, truly, yes I am.
2. Black mulberry by the back fence - yes your 'Look at me I'm Solar' panels and your sign proclaiming you're solar will have both crow and starling squit on them. That's just terrible, you know.
3. Giant crabapple by the back fence - Let's see how your three-times-a-week gasoline leaf blower noise crew deals with the residue from THAT. Oh yes, the grass blades in your front postage stamp all point the same way, yes, very nice. For us, that's totally worth having a dirt bike meet every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday morning. For sure.
4. County-planted Bradford pear right at the electric pole - hey you built out your 2mill+ house so no one can put in a garage because of fire engine access rules but you were too cheap to put in underground FIOS? Oh I'm SO sorry you lose Internet every time the wind kicks up. I know, it's such a shame it's not the power company's job to trim their pears away from your Internet.
5. Willow tree in the guy next door's driveway nook. Oh really? You couldn't get any trees to survive because your entire front yard is 2 inches of clay fill on top of crushed rock? And then your fly-by-night landscaper didn't bother to check where your water and sewer pipes run? Oh I'm so terribly sorry you re-dug those pipes three times!

Last edited:

marsound

Skier
Skier
Top 5 Punk Rock Bands:
5) Black Flag
4) The Sex Pistols
3) The Ramones
2) Suicidal Tendencies
1) The Dead Kennedys

The Dead Kennedys as #1? Wow, that's cool.

I saw their 2nd or 3rd show at an abandoned-soon-to-be demolished Safeway parking lot somewhere in the Sunset in SF. That experience was a shocker for me at the time...

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
This is one of the weirdest differences between English English and American English. The quote is pretty much standard in American English, whereas the English English is "I couldn't case less what other people think".
So, let's analyze it (or analyse it):
American version: I could care less = I am not at the minimum level of caring about what other people think, therefore I do actually care a bit more than the minimum (which is NOT what is meant)
English version: I couldn't care less = I am at the minimum possible level of caring about what other people think and therefore do not care at all from my point of view (which is what is meant in both languages).
Whenever I hear someone say “I could care less” I want to respond “so you do care some”.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Top 5 third cars that I would like to own (realistic)

1. Volkwagen Rabbit GTI Mk1 (but these are quickly becoming unrealistic)
2. Kei Car, almost any
3. Small pick up. 2WD
4. Miata RF 30th anniversary
5. Subaru Brat

Dude, you don't want a kei car. Trust me.

Sponsor

Staff online