• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Top 100 Best Small Cities...Guess who topped the list!

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Is it a City or is it a Town... :huh::popcorn:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
For those that don't know Trenton is the state capital of NJ and is a city that was around in colonial times. Like many cities of that age it has its good sections and it has its older decaying sections. I live about 10 miles east of Trenton and as for it making the list I would like to know more about the criteria for the list. As for De Lorenzo's it only moved a few miles down the road to the town of Robbinsville, NJ. They make more of a tomato pie then a pizza. It is a good tomato pie and the salad is very good as well. In colonial times people that traveled between NYC and Philadelphia had to go through several cities in NJ. That trip would have taken several days traveling through Elizabeth, New Brunswick, Princeton, Trenton, and into Philadelphia. These older cities have good parts so I am not sure why it is so offensive to some of our members.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
For those that don't know Trenton is the state capital of NJ and is a city that was around in colonial times. Like many cities of that age it has its good sections and it has its older decaying sections. I live about 10 miles east of Trenton and as for it making the list I would like to know more about the criteria for the list. As for De Lorenzo's it only moved a few miles down the road to the town of Robbinsville, NJ. They make more of a tomato pie then a pizza. It is a good tomato pie and the salad is very good as well. In colonial times people that traveled between NYC and Philadelphia had to go through several cities in NJ. That trip would have taken several days traveling through Elizabeth, New Brunswick, Princeton, Trenton, and into Philadelphia. These older cities have good parts so I am not sure why it is so offensive to some of our members.
Yes, I was aware of the move of De Lorenzo's. The new location is nowhere near the character of the original in Trenton. And that has impacted my perception of the quality of the food. In the past, the original De Lorenzo's was worth making a special trip to Trenton for. Place no longer does it for me after they moved. I'm not offended by Trenton making the list as much as surprised. For my tastes it's nowhere near in the top small towns of Jersey even. And I bet most people would agree. How many would pick Trenton over Princeton, Spring Lake, Hoboken, Morristown, etc.

The reality is these top city lists are flawed as everyone has different priorities in what they like. That said, there is no way I would ever believe that if you took a poll of Jersey residents listing their favorite cities/towns in their state, Trenton would not be close to sniffing the top of popular opinion. That is not to deride if Trenton is a personal favorite, but it wouldn't be close to consensus. And at end of the day, strange for me to see Trenton listed in top 10 in country as I don't think that would reflect popular opinion.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
All the people trashing Trenton, how many of you have actually been to Trenton in the past five years? What bothers you about Trenton being on the list?
Trenton is on the list. Reno is on the list.
Everyone is right. Both are rubbish and everyone should stay away. ;)

Don't tell anyone about the quality mt bike riding and skiing near Reno....They won't believe you and...well....it sucks. at a pretty high level :D

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Trenton is on the list. Reno is on the list.
Everyone is right. Both are rubbish and everyone should stay away. ;)

Don't tell anyone about the quality mt bike riding and skiing near Reno....They won't believe you and...well....it sucks. at a pretty high level :D
Don't you worry, Trish. Alterra will eventually get their grubby hands on Mt Rose and change things for you. Once Mt Rose is on Ikon, I'll be sullying your slopes.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Don't you worry, Trish. Alterra will eventually get their grubby hands on Mt Rose and change things for you. Once Mt Rose is on Ikon, I'll be sullying your slopes.
That would be awesome, since I have the IKON and Mt Rose pass. That would be one pass fee to eliminate.. :D

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Yes, I was aware of the move of De Lorenzo's. The new location is nowhere near the character of the original in Trenton. And that has impacted my perception of the quality of the food. In the past, the original De Lorenzo's was worth making a special trip to Trenton for. Place no longer does it for me after they moved. I'm not offended by Trenton making the list as much as surprised. For my tastes it's nowhere near in the top small towns of Jersey even. And I bet most people would agree. How many would pick Trenton over Princeton, Spring Lake, Hoboken, Morristown, etc.

The reality is these top city lists are flawed as everyone has different priorities in what they like. That said, there is no way I would ever believe that if you took a poll of Jersey residents listing their favorite cities/towns in their state, Trenton would not be close to sniffing the top of popular opinion. That is not to deride if Trenton is a personal favorite, but it wouldn't be close to consensus. And at end of the day, strange for me to see Trenton listed in top 10 in country as I don't think that would reflect popular opinion.
Both Trenton and Morristown are colonial times cities, Princeton is a small town from the same era but still a small town not a city. Hoboken is now a YUPPIE community but not a the size of Trenton. Spirng Like is a shore community a small town for sure, not even close to the size of Trenton. You are not comparing apples to apples. Yes there are nicer places than Trenton but that not what the poll was about. Like I said I would like to know more about the criteria of this poll.