• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Top 100 Best Small Cities...Guess who topped the list!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Spoiler: Reno tops the list!

THE AMERICA’S BEST CITIES METHODOLOGY
Resonance Consultancy ranks American cities (principal cities of metropolitan areas with populations of more than 100,000) by using a combination of statistical performance and qualitative evaluations by locals and visitors in 23 areas grouped into six core categories. Principal cities are defined as the largest city in each metropolitan statistical area.

Here is the list based on six core "P" catagories.
  • Place
  • Product
  • People
  • Prosperty
  • Programming
  • Promotion

Last edited:

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I didn't subscribe, but I'm guessing, Reno?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I didn't subscribe, but I'm guessing, Reno?
I didn't realize it was a subscription. Another link from Kolo8 was added with the top 10.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Trenton, NJ?
I hat that initial question too. Not if you take your outdoors seriously with limited options like the Poconos and Jersey Shore.

I wish there was a way to query the list so you could prioritize ones personal wants/needs.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
This could get worse than "best ski areas". Let's all vote for ourselves.
If you like where you are, stay there. If you don't like where you are move. You will hate Spokane, go away!

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
And the prosperty category is a new one.

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
Asheville keeps hitting these best of lists.
Best:
places to retire
small towns
places for millenials
outdoor atmospher
beer towns

etc.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
I wonder what Resonance Consultancy gets for making this list? How do they get paid for the work it takes? Also, I wonder if they actually visit the places that make the top 50 or they just base it on data.

And no offense to anyone who lives in Trenton, but I personally wouldn't put that small town even top 10 NJ much less the country. I think if you asked most people in Jersey about Trenton being best small town in the state, they'd say get oudda here.

And how do you rank a place on People? I guess we all here know that's how Reno won :) absolutely crushed it in the people category.

Edit: is there a way to sort the rankings based on people? Who is tops in that category besides Reno :)

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I wonder what Resonance Consultancy gets for making this list? How do they get paid for the work it takes? Also, I wonder if they actually visit the places that make the top 50 or they just base it on data.

And no offense to anyone who lives in Trenton, but I personally wouldn't put that small town even top 10 NJ much less the country. I think if you asked most people in Jersey about Trenton being best small town in the state, they'd say get oudda here.

And how do you rank a place on People? I guess we all here know that's how Reno won :) absolutely crushed it in the people category.

Edit: is there a way to sort the rankings based on people? Who is tops in that category besides Reno :)
I recall when Hoboken topped or was near the top if a similar list about a decade ago and I think what Hoboken was like in the 70's.

As far as the people of Reno...I agree, we crushed it. ;)

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Yes, I stopped reading the list when i saw Trenton in the top 10. I haven't been there in a while, but would have been surprised if it was in the top 50% in NJ.

Après Skier

Amateur Skier & Professional Curmudgeon
Skier
All the people trashing Trenton, how many of you have actually been to Trenton in the past five years? What bothers you about Trenton being on the list?

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Like I said I haven't been to Trenton in a while, but living in NJ for 50+ years i certainly have been there enough times and it was not nice. That being said, Hoboken and Jersey City used to be dumps and are now desirable places to live, so maybe Trenton has changed also. après Skier, are you from NJ?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
All above Trenton :) Trenton losing De Lorenzo's pizzeria was a big loss. Some of those great Pizzarias in Jersey really give the place some of its charm for me.
For me it was the loss of the traffic circles and the obligatory diner at one of the corners. Yes, I said "at a corner of a circle". ;)

Après Skier

Amateur Skier & Professional Curmudgeon
Skier
With world-class scenery like this, how does any other city stand a chance?
B26376BF-4C75-46ED-809A-0E31A739B859.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid