• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Top 10 resorts with the most snow to date

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Japan's leader this season is Myoko Kogen at 1,404cm (553 inches) as of Feb 13, according to SnowJapan.com's daily reports measured near but not typically on the mountain.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Snowfall totals are fun to look at and think about but they don't tell the whole story. The way the snow comes down and the conditions surrounding it are important. During the world record year at Baker it seemed like every time I went skiing you couldn't see anything because of a whiteout due to snow, and sometimes fog as well. It made for great bragging rights, but I would have traded some visibility for a little less snowfall. Frequency also is a factor. A little less snowfall more frequently can make for better overall conditions than epic dumps at longer intervals. We're #2 right now for snowfall, but conditions were kind of poor for quite a while. Now were getting dumped on (yay!) but overall the season has felt average.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Well Mammoth is getting both frequency and quantity. But skiing in whiteouts and blizzard-like conditions is not my idea of a fun time. The upside is a great base for spring skiing.. and now summer since they will be open till July 4th!

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Well Mammoth is getting both frequency and quantity. But skiing in whiteouts and blizzard-like conditions is not my idea of a fun time. The upside is a great base for spring skiing.. and now summer since they will be open till July 4th!
It is snowing hard at Mammoth as I type. Huge winds yesterday. Head on crash on the road to June yesterday due to blowing snow and 0 vis. Tough conditions.

Beartown

Chasing the dragon
Skier
I was at Mammoth in January and we got 60" over the four days I was there. Some of the worst snow i've ever skied (wind-blasted by sustained 50 mph with gusts up to 100). Also winds got us down to 2-3 lifts multilple times during that span, sometimes for hours at a time. Throw in weekend SoCal crowds and it was pretty miserable. Did have ~ three half-days of epic conditions once the wind died down.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We had a good day at Mammoth, skiing the primary runs that embrace Stump Alley. I got on several wide skis for the demo which is something I don't usually get to do at a ski test.

Look for some wide ski reviews from @Stephen @Andy Mink @Philpug and me! IMG_0368.JPG

PNWRod

Getting off the lift
Skier
I skied Crystal Mountain today. They only have a lowly 298" YTD. Today was the best day of the season for me. 5 feet of new snow in 5 days and the top of the mountain has been closed during a lot of the dumps due to wind and AC. Today it was all open and all fresh and deep. Put a big ole smile on my face. I'll be at Baker this weekend.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
That's 11.

Learn to count! :duck:

Well they should learn to number things correctly in the article... and fix their title! :)

1. Mammoth 446
2. Mt Baker 399
3. Brighton 394
4. Squaw 393
5. Snowbird 384
6. Alta (UT) and Homewood(CA) 353
8. Sugarbowl 350
9. Boreal 348
10. Kirkwood 346
11. Jackson Hole 339

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Spinal_Tap_-_Up_to_Eleven.jpg

Posaune

sliding
Skier
This is kind of funny from my viewpoint. Mt. Baker is #8, yet we have what is considered low snow pack for the season. It didn't snow much in January and it's been clear and beautiful for the last part of February. I guess we do get quite a lot of snow here.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January