• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tooth sensitivity to cold anyone?

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
For the past 2-3 years, my first couple day of skiing season was mired by toothaches. (Actually, it was the après that’s most affected)

For some reason, some (or just one) of my tooth didn’t like the frigid air I was sucking in! I had some vague tooth sensitivity while skiing, which I didn’t pay too much attention. But when I was done, I suddenly noticed this mild toothache was turning into a migraine!

Eventually, the toothache subsided, in about an hour. But that was a miserable hour, really ruined an otherwise nice first day of the ski season.

I had my teeth checked last year, and again this year. There doesn’t seem to be anything wrong with my teeth (that the dentist could see). On the other hand, I’ve got a fair bit of dental work done in years past. Quite a few crowns and a bridge. I wonder if it’s those “hardware” that’s reacting to the cold?

Last year, the toothache didn’t reappear after the first couple of days. I’m hoping it will go away quickly this year too. But I’m getting a little worried as the pain seems to have gotten worse this year than last year’s.

Anyone else have ever had anything similar?

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Cold-sensitive teeth causing a migraine-like headache? Do your teeth also read to ice water/cold drinks?Sounds suspicious - are you sure you don't have any sinus issues complicating things?

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yeah; could also be neurogenic: if I'm not careful, I occasionally guard my cervico-thoracic spine by clenching and elevating my shoulders, which actually significantly aggravates things such that mandibular, facial and eye socket pain develops leading to a migraine-like headache. That usually takes several hours to develop and last for 1-2 days, however.

TS
S

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Do your teeth also read to ice water/cold drinks?
Yes. I asked the dentist about it. All he said was “a little sensitivity to cold is nothing to be concerned”. It usually goes away with less than 30 seconds, as soon as the cold water is gone.

But that was before I had this recurring headache when sucking cold air!

Sounds suspicious - are you sure you don't have any sinus issues complicating things?
I can’t say. I sometimes have sinus issues, though usually not associated with cold weather.

Funny thing, the dentist suggest Sensodyne!

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
A little dental cold sensitivity (under 5-10 sec) might be "nothing to be conerned" about; 30 sec of sustained cold sensitivity after stimulus removal is a long time and often indicates some sort of problem with a tooth pulp. As noted in posts above, tooth thermal sensitivity causing a true migraine is atypical.

TS
S

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Well, maybe not 30 seconds. I wasn’t counting that carefully. Probably more like 10 seconds?

But the pain from cold air definitely was more than the usual ice water sensitivity. It lasted a good while, like 1/2 hr!

It felt noticeably better when I direct my warm breath to that part of my mouth. It almost felt like my tooth stayed cold and kept on hurting. It only stopped when my breath warmed it back up. With each breath, the pain lessen. It was gone within a few minutes once I started doing that.

Odd thing being, I’ve had root canal done on that tooth some years ago. Can’t figure out why it still “feel” anything. Much less...pain! Unless, it’s the tooth next to it. But the x-ray showed nothing wrong with the next tooth.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
My wife had a root canal done only to find out that the pain was actually coming from the tooth next to the tooth that felt bad. Nerves are criss crossed under the gums so the tooth that you think hurts might actually be the one next to the pain point.

Might it be altitude and not temperature or a combination of both? Pressure changes can trigger my migraines a little. Kinda like ears popping..

skifastDDS

AKA doublediamond223
Skier
Well, maybe not 30 seconds. I wasn’t counting that carefully. Probably more like 10 seconds?

But the pain from cold air definitely was more than the usual ice water sensitivity. It lasted a good while, like 1/2 hr!

It felt noticeably better when I direct my warm breath to that part of my mouth. It almost felt like my tooth stayed cold and kept on hurting. It only stopped when my breath warmed it back up. With each breath, the pain lessen. It was gone within a few minutes once I started doing that.

Odd thing being, I’ve had root canal done on that tooth some years ago. Can’t figure out why it still “feel” anything. Much less...pain! Unless, it’s the tooth next to it. But the x-ray showed nothing wrong with the next tooth.

Lingering cold sensitivity is a sign of irreversible pulpitis, or a poorly sealed restoration on a vital tooth in the area. Odds are it is the tooth next to the one that is root canal treated. It could also be an occlusal [bite] issue causing cold sensitivity due to hitting too hard on the tooth in question. Since you mention that you have had a lot of crowns done, it seems likely that one of the teeth that is crowned but not root canaled has developed an irreversible pulpitis. This commonly happens. It is worth going to your dentist for a limited exam to confirm that nothing needs to be addressed in the area.

TS
S

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Thanks. Will be making an appointment to see a doctor tomorrow.

Sponsor

Staff online