• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tom Gellie's Webinars are Well Worth It IMO

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
These videos would be good in the comedy thread. Gellie's videos deserve discussion rather than derailing the thread.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Wow, these Tom Gellie videos look interesting based on the positive feedback. I'll subscribe for 3 months at some point. Clever that he is doing it as a subscription model so he gets a recurring revenue stream rather than one time payment for unlimited access.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Not sure when the code expires, but if you wait too long it'll be $130 for 3 months. With SLUSH, it's $90.99, renewable at the same price.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Not sure when the code expires, but if you wait too long it'll be $130 for 3 months. With SLUSH, it's $90.99, renewable at the same price.
Yup. Unfortunately I don't think I'm going to be doing any skiing this winter as our plan currently is to sit things out in New Zealand (where it will be summer, so no skiing there either).

I think others who are not going to do much skiing this season due to Covid travel concerns may have the same dilemma.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Oh oh. This one.
These videos are making my morning coffee taste better.

Yeah, they are funny enough. Although taking a somewhat cheap shot at arguably the best ski instruction vids available.

Torque.PNG

This must be news to all the cats out there perfectly capable of torqueing part of their body against the rotational inertia of the other part whilst in mid-air to land on their feet.

Yup. Unfortunately I don't think I'm going to be doing any skiing this winter as our plan currently is to sit things out in New Zealand (where it will be summer, so no skiing there either).

I think others who are not going to do much skiing this season due to Covid travel concerns may have the same dilemma.

Australia in a similar, probably worse, boat. Low chance of getting a travel clearance unless the trip is for 3-4 months. And that's no guarantee that the traveler will be able to get an airline seat or quarantine spot to re-enter the country.

In short it sux. :(

Front side heavy . . . Neutral . . . Back side heavy . . .

Hope you've been working on your abs and core. :crossfingers: That backside heavy sure works to nail the tails. Doing it all day is something else again. :rolleyes:

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Yeah, they are funny enough. Although taking a somewhat cheap shot at arguably the best ski instruction vids available.....
There are plenty of online how-to-ski gurus out there putting up videos, doing talks, and selling product of some sort. They all assume online teaching holds some value. Those goofy "Quantum Skiing" videos don't appear to me to be specifically targeting Tom Gellie. Am I missing something?

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
There are plenty of online how-to-ski gurus out there putting up videos, doing talks, and selling product of some sort. They all assume online teaching holds some value. Those goofy "Quantum Skiing" videos don't appear to me to be specifically targeting Tom Gellie. Am I missing something?

Dr Dom's Mogul Skiing and Torque vid is specifically Gellie. The vid clip, the choice of words - all taken from a specific Gellie vid.

The Amazing Skiing vid - improvements after one run - is another. Not sure if there's anyone else out there showing before/after of skiing of students in an actual lesson as a regular theme. I've not come across it much elsewhere but no doubt I've seen only a fraction of the material out there.

Hey, Dr Dom is funny enough. And IMHO it's a good idea for a some satire to keep everyone grounded. Dr Dom's got a lifetime of work ahead of him even sticking to ski tip vids. Looking forward to his vid on the phantom move. Maybe there's one already?

On the online teaching.... In terms of ski improvement I think it has a place. Just has to be kept in perspective. The big issue is getting feedback on what we are actually doing. Watching vid of self helps although there's limits to that. don't know about everyone else but some-one filming sure affects the skiing :( yet there's never a camera to capture the really good runs :rolleyes:.

Where online teach can really help is MA.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
^^Thanks for explaining the correspondences. Since I haven't yet seen those Gellie videos, I didn't know.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Massachusetts? (MA is the state code.)

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
I know. Just a joke.

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
For those looking to get their Tom Gellie fix on the cheap, check out the series of video discussions from Paul Simpson of the Ski Instructor Academy Austria:

Gellie is a guest on several segments. They have a big mutual admiration society going. The sections of the YouTube channel you'll want to look at are "The Analysis Series" and "Bite-sized." Really great stuff here, IMHO. Simpson is engaging and amusing. It's shaping up that there's a lot of consistency between the work of the emerging new school bright stars in ski instruction.