• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tom Gellies' Bump Lesson Speed Control and Line Control video is Outstanding!

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
^^^

Old terminology used back in the days when this was the way to ski bumps.....

Cut and past from a circa 91 skiing mag section for mogul skis. The internet does not lie.

Attachments

• 1586889651123.png
    1586889651123.png
    343.4 KB · Views: 29

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
^^^

Old terminology used back in the days when this was the way to ski bumps.....

Cut and past from a circa 91 skiing mag section for mogul skis. The internet does not lie.

A quote from one of those ski reviews:
"Deflection turns off the tops of the bumps."

So what is a "deflection turn"? Does the bump's shoulder (or top???) deflect the skis off to its side?

TS
T

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor
Watch the end of Gellie's first Bump Lesson. He calls them tail pivot turns not deflection turns.

Remember, Mr. Ed said:

"I can lead a human to knowledge, but I can't make him (or her) think."

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier

So what is a "deflection turn"? Does the bump's shoulder (or top???) deflect the skis off to its side?

I think the answer is in the end of the same paragraph ??? honestly first I ever heard of that term.

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier

Skiers can make deflection turns either from the shoulder or the top of the bump, its a way to use the shape of the bump to redirect the ski. IMO, its a needed technique if the bumps are irregular, the troughs are really deep or has ice/dirt. Look at the Soucy vid below, the slo mo shows how he re directs the skis to a new landing area after making contact from the bump. Its amazing how he string so many turns with that type of turn. A couple of season ago, I saw it live one time, done on a gnarly bump formation and I'm still in awe.

TS
T

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor
Maybe Jack and others can confirm or dis afirm this, but to my eye almost all if not all of these turns are deflection turns or a version of what I believe Gellie calls Tail Pivot turns in his Bump Lesson I instruction video:

In other words Takao may have fast feet, but he is using the bump topography and proper placement of the tails of his skis and proper placement of his mass to make these turns off his tails.

Last edited:

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
^^^ The Tail Pivots and Deflection are different types of turns. I agree with your description about that way Takao uses the tail to further re direct his skis. Either though most coaches say to get off the tails, once you have great command of your fore/aft balance, sometimes getting on that tail gives you that extra speed to get through a certain section of the bump formation.

What is in common is both need that fore/aft balance, Soucy with the deflection turns is on his back seat as he lands near the face of the upcoming bump. Along with knees and hip, this gives him more range to close his ankles to further absorb the impact.