• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
I've done a wax call or two. Here is one just for fun!

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Toko AX 134- worth getting/when to use?
"Worth" can be relative thing :) If you ski lot of really really warm and dirty stuff then yes, it's worth. Conditions for which AX134 is meant to be used are conditions where nothing else but high fluoro works. But personally I wouldn't be using AX134 as only wax, but would pretty much always mix it with HF yellow. And as in those conditions snow is normally pretty dirty, add also HF black into the mix with XC134 (about 30% of Black, and 70% of HF yellow and AX134 mix, but percentage of yellow vs. AX134 depends on temperature and humidity). And if you want to have at least sort of normal glide, count on using bunch of fluoro overlays on top of it. My pick for these sort of conditions on top of AX134 is Jetstream yellow and Helx yellow as final layer for that initial speed... but this way we are basically talking 100eur/pair preparation. Now if that's really worth for anything but WC racing, I don't know, it's up to you to decide :)

TS
J

Jason Kurth

Putting on skis
Skier
"Worth" can be relative thing :) If you ski lot of really really warm and dirty stuff then yes, it's worth. Conditions for which AX134 is meant to be used are conditions where nothing else but high fluoro works. But personally I wouldn't be using AX134 as only wax, but would pretty much always mix it with HF yellow. And as in those conditions snow is normally pretty dirty, add also HF black into the mix with XC134 (about 30% of Black, and 70% of HF yellow and AX134 mix, but percentage of yellow vs. AX134 depends on temperature and humidity). And if you want to have at least sort of normal glide, count on using bunch of fluoro overlays on top of it. My pick for these sort of conditions on top of AX134 is Jetstream yellow and Helx yellow as final layer for that initial speed... but this way we are basically talking 100eur/pair preparation. Now if that's really worth for anything but WC racing, I don't know, it's up to you to decide :)

interesting

do you mean you would use both jetstrem bloc rub on and toko helix both as an overlay? I thought they were basically the same thing with different application method.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
They are similar but not same. Helx is basically Toko version of Swix's HVC, and both are meant as final overlay. They are faster then Jetstream/Cera powders/blocks, but both also last way shorter time then ironed or even corked Jetstream/Cera powders/blocks, so basically they are used to get some extra speed out from start (or in xc for sprint races where after every round top fluoro overlay added again).

Polo

Putting on skis
Skier
Biggest thing to remember with Fluoro overlays is you need to get a layer of fluoro wax down first so the fluoro overlay has something to bond to. When you just try and use some kind of HF overlay without putting down a fluoro wax first, you're pretty much wasting your time and money.

Also, if you plan on using HF's much, use a separate set of brushes so you aren't contaminating your HF with a brush that was CH on it.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January