• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Today in History

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Twenty four years ago to this day, something amazing happened. Aircraft from the United States joined others from around the world and launched the largest aerial battle in the history of mankind. Mankind. That word meant something very different before this. But we learned that we can't can't be consumed by our petty differences. We united in our common interest. It seemed like fate that that day happened to be the Fourth of July, as once again men were fighting for their freedom. Not from tryanny, oppession, or persecution...but from annihilation. They fought for our right to live. To exist. They won that day, the Fourth of July is no longer known as an American holiday, but as the the day when the world declared in one voice: We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on! We're going to Survive!
The words are from a movie script of the same name as today.

Uncle-A

Skier
Always thought this was an amazing coincidence.....

1826, 2nd & 3rd presidents-John Adams & Thomas Jefferson die.
If you figure they were in their mid 20's on July 4th 1776 and they passed in 1826 that is 50 years after the Declaration of Independence. They both lived a long life for those days.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
were the mid 20's in 1776 protesting against the government really all that much different than the mid 20's protesting today ?

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
By 1826 there had been about 10 presidents. 2 of them, who were also central in the Continental Congress, both passed on the same day in far parts of the country. The 4th of July at that.
Have always found this interesting. They had flaws, but we might not have had a country without these kinds of guys.

Interesting trivia and not today but it kind of ties into the news right now. "The Star Spangled Banner", was first played in a sports event at the 1918 World Series. During WWI and the Spanish Flu Pandemic (People protested against wearing masks then too), we never change.

Uncle-A

Skier
were the mid 20's in 1776 protesting against the government really all that much different than the mid 20's protesting today ?
I would not go that far. It is a lot different today.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Jefferson was 33 when he alone wrote the Declaration of Independence ( it was of course edited by committee, which he hated, and many passages removed including a very verbose passage condemning slavery. In fact Jefferson tried five different times in his political career to emancipate the slaves but could not get it done. He knew one day it would happen--it took 86 years before Lincoln was able to do it after 3 years into a bloody civil war to keep the union together )

Adams was 40 and Franklin was 70 years old July 4th 1776. Most signers were in their 30's, 40's, 50's and 60's. Only two were in their 20's

Last edited:

Turoa Kiwi

JH
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A dark day in New Zealand July 10
French agents sink the Greenpeace ship Rainbow Warrior in Auckland Harbour

A lot of Kiwis still haven't forgiven the French for this act of terrorism on our soil.
After this event even more people took an anti nuclear stance
To this day NZ is nuclear free. No nuclear powered vessels are allowed in our territorial waters

Last edited:

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
1962July 09
Bob Dylan records “Blowin’ In The Wind”

There is space for some new verses.
I was in Catholic school at that time, 2nd and 3rd grade and I remember the nuns teaching us to sing that song. The same nuns would yank us by the tie if we misbehaved and got out of line. Nonetheless, looking back they were kind of socially advanced for the day.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Today in History -
The hotest temperature on the globe was recorded on July 10, 1913, in Death Valley at 134º F

Of course, the method of recording such things in 1913 was rustic and there are some scientists who have tried to debunk the record.

James

Out There
Instructor
July 10, 1925 the Scopes Trial begins. John Scopes was on trial in Tennessee for teaching evolution, a violation of the Butler Law in Tennessee. Scopes would be found guilty and ordered to pay $100.
The law would remain in place till 1967.

In 1968 – In Epperson v. Arkansas, the Supreme Court strikes down an Arkansas law banning the teaching of evolution.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Today in History - July 11, 1804
Aaron Burr slayed Alexander Hamilton in a Duel

Coincidently, @Philpug and I watched Hamilton on TV last night.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Live Aid happened today in 1985.

I rolled into Reno 10 years ago.

Uncle-A

Skier
13 July 2001 Was the day I retired from my telecom career. Just six weeks later I started my teaching career and we all know what happened eleven days later.

Sponsor