• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Today in History

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Happy 40th!
Thanks to Jenny and others that sent congratulations.
I noticed the post about your 35th anniversary (and @pchewn 40th) in this thread a few weeks back. The idea of marriage has lost a lot of prestige/appeal with younger generations. I guess the failures of older generations to keep a lot of our marriages together has partially contributed to that? All I know is a long, stable, loving marriage is my biggest success in life and my greatest joy.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
6/29/07-The first iPhone goes on sale.

James

Out There
Instructor
In 1927, first Trans-Pacific flight from Oakland California to Oahu was made. Quite the journey trying to navigate.
813BDFC0-2E89-4615-8A45-4D8B1291BBC1.jpeg

“Bird of Paradise”, a Fokker C-2 tri-motor made the journey.

1956- Federal Highway Act of 1956 signed by Eisenhower.
Created the system of how we get around today.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
In 1927, first Trans-Pacific flight from Oakland California to Oahu was made. Quite the journey trying to navigate.
View attachment 105375
“Bird of Paradise”, a Fokker C-2 tri-motor made the journey.

1956- Federal Highway Act of 1956 signed by Eisenhower.
Created the system of how we get around today.
Part of the Federal Highway Act is that there has to be a straight section of the highway I think it is every 1.5 miles that could be used as a runway in case of emergency.

James

Out There
Instructor
Part of the Federal Highway Act is that there has to be a straight section of the highway I think it is every 1.5 miles that could be used as a runway in case of emergency.
Did they forget about bridges?

Actually, it appears the airplane thing is a myth.
As it’s a myth that Eisenhower conceived the whole thing.
—————————-
President Eisenhower conceived the Interstate System.

The Interstate System was first described in a Bureau of Public Roads report to Congress, Toll Roads and Free Roads, in 1939. It was authorized for designation by the Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1944, with the initial designations in 1947 and completed in 1955 under the 40,000-mile limitation imposed by the 1944 Act. President Eisenhower didn’t conceive the Interstate System, but his support led to enactment of the Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1956, which established the program for funding and building it.
—————————-

James

Out There
Instructor
June 28, 1971
In Clay vs United States, the Supreme Court votes 8-0 with one abstention, in favor of Muhammad Ali. His status as a conscientious objector had been rejected by the local draft board and upheld on appeal until this unanimous reversal.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Did they forget about bridges?

Actually, it appears the airplane thing is a myth.
As it’s a myth that Eisenhower conceived the whole thing.
—————————-
President Eisenhower conceived the Interstate System.

The Interstate System was first described in a Bureau of Public Roads report to Congress, Toll Roads and Free Roads, in 1939. It was authorized for designation by the Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1944, with the initial designations in 1947 and completed in 1955 under the 40,000-mile limitation imposed by the 1944 Act. President Eisenhower didn’t conceive the Interstate System, but his support led to enactment of the Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1956, which established the program for funding and building it.
—————————-
Thanks for the update. I guess I took the myth on face value and never bothered to check it for fact.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Today in 1995, the U.S. space shuttle Atlantis and the Russian space station Mir docked, forming the largest man-made satellite ever to orbit Earth.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Lowell George passed away 6/29/1979

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
First Network Television Western Series - Hopalong Cassidy

June 24, 1949
My dad has a ton of Hopalong Cassidy memorabilia. Such cool and good quality stuff.

Thanks to Jenny and others that sent congratulations.
I noticed the post about your 35th anniversary (and @pchewn 40th) in this thread a few weeks back. The idea of marriage has lost a lot of prestige/appeal with younger generations. I guess the failures of older generations to keep a lot of our marriages together has partially contributed to that? All I know is a long, stable, loving marriage is my biggest success in life and my greatest joy.
Sorry I missed your anniversary. Happy trip around the sun to you and your lovely bride.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Twenty four years ago to this day, something amazing happened. Aircraft from the United States joined others from around the world and launched the largest aerial battle in the history of mankind. Mankind. That word meant something very different before this. But we learned that we can't can't be consumed by our petty differences. We united in our common interest. It seemed like fate that that day happened to be the Fourth of July, as once again men were fighting for their freedom. Not from tryanny, oppession, or persecution...but from annihilation. They fought for our right to live. To exist. They won that day, the Fourth of July is no longer known as an American holiday, but as the the day when the world declared in one voice: We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on! We're going to Survive!

James

Out There
Instructor
Twenty four years ago to this day, something amazing happened. Aircraft from the United States joined others from around the world and launched the largest aerial battle in the history of mankind.
1996??

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Twenty four years ago to this day, something amazing happened. Aircraft from the United States joined others from around the world and launched the largest aerial battle in the history of mankind. Mankind. That word meant something very different before this. But we learned that we can't can't be consumed by our petty differences. We united in our common interest. It seemed like fate that that day happened to be the Fourth of July, as once again men were fighting for their freedom. Not from tryanny, oppession, or persecution...but from annihilation. They fought for our right to live. To exist. They won that day, the Fourth of July is no longer known as an American holiday, but as the the day when the world declared in one voice: We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on! We're going to Survive!
Welcome to Earth!

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter

@Philpug, very good, very good. I’ll bet it will take quite awhile for some to understand what you are talking about. "Hello boys, I’m back!"

Sponsor