• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

To Whom It May Concern... shout outs to strangers, recent interactions

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
To the lady that marched into the local liquor store a few days ago asking if they had a restroom. Your response when the answer was no should have been a polite, okay thanks. Instead you yell at the sweet women who own the shop about how ridiculous it is and that you'll spend your money somewhere else. I'm pretty sure none of the next 3 closest stores have one either. I hope you pissed yourself while you searched for one that does. I'm just sorry that I couldn't make it up to the front of the store to tell you off myself before you stormed out.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thank you young "ladies" at the Motherloaded Tavern for showing me your new piercings. I didn't ask to see them but somehow you knew I was the guy that needed to know about them. Without you two I wouldn't have had the opportunity to sleep on the couch last night.

That's the Motherloaded Tavern in Breckenridge if anyone was curious about these things.
FTW!:margarita:

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
While putting my lawn mower away after cutting the grass this weekend I noticed for the first time a small hole in the deck assembly. The deck is essentially the base of the mower. It houses the blade. The mower engine is mounted above the deck. The small hole I noticed in the rear of the deck was from rust. I guess years of contact with wet grass on the underside of the deck had done the damage. Everything else is working fine and I think the mower still has a few more years of life, but this cheap (~$150), 15 year old Canadian made Yard Machines push mower from Home Depot is apparently going to RUST OUT BEFORE IT BREAKS DOWN. In an era when so much of our stuff seems to be built for planned obsolescence the durability of this product is worth a SHOUT OUT!

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
Dear young mother at the McDonald's in Perry, GA just off I-75,

Let's start out on a positive note with our one area of agreement - waiting for fries absolutely sucks. It sucks for me, it sucks for you, it sucks for your little boy, and it sucks for all the other people who, like us, were clustered around the counter waiting for hot, golden, delicious, McDonald's french fries.

Actually, we have another broad area of agreement over which we can build upon our common human bond - little kids can suck too. And I should know. I have 3, and, according to my lovely wife, all of them are mine. Though mine made it through the toddler stage several years ago, I still wistfully remember the many occasions that I, while low on sleep and out of patience, pondered backhanding them, or giving them a good shake, or saying something really mean to them. Hell, I even imagined building velcro wall on wheels sticking them on it so they wouldn't wander, and thusly could I wait for my french fries in relative peace. . . you get the picture, I know.

And perhaps here is where we must diverge, because I didn't backhand, shake, or personally insult my mostly non-verbal 2 year old while waiting for fries at McDonald's, or anywhere. And please, let's not re-plow the Adrian Peterson discussion from yesteryear. You're the mom and, so long as it's OK with the state, you can do what you want for discipline I suppose. I'm pretty confident backhanding and shaking aren't on the approved list though. Calling the kid a "damn idiot" isn't illegal, but it's not very effective, and tends to say more about you than the kid if you get my meaning.

I was going to speak up about your behavior when that bought of uncontrollable laughter overcame me and really pissed you off. In your rage, you must have forgotten that you called your kid a son of a bitch. That's why I said "I totally agree" and that's also why everyone else started laughing too. I know you wanted to hit me, and I sort of wish you had because it would make the story better. Instead, you tried to make your point by huffily spinning around and snatching the bag of fries being held out to you by the chuckling cashier, thus ripping the bag, spilling the fresh fries, and making your poor kid wail in anguish. But for your boy's dejection, I'd call that the kind of instant karma that makes me very, very happy.

I know you think you won when you called me a F-ing asshole before storming off without any fries. You might be right in your assessment of me, but frankly, I've been called a lot worse by much better people.

P.S. - Hang in there kid.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I drove by a couple of bike tires lying next to a street lamp the other day and thought: I could use those but naw, someone is missing them and will find them. When I went to put the tires (that I'd placed on the back of my truck 'momentarily) on the wheels I suddenly realized: Hey those were MY tires.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
To the busboy/waiter/manager/staff at Red Robin who took the $50 out of the wallet my son accidentally left in the booth tonight;

Thanks for returning the wallet sans the cash when we returned 30 minutes later to report it lost. He worked two days to earn that cash We've cancelled his debit card in case you took photos of the front and back before turning the wallet in hoping to also do some online shopping at his expense. Oh well, tough lesson for a kid to learn. Thanks for that:poo:

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
To David, MacKenzie's dad, at Stratton on 12/10. Thank you for taking me down that mountain, so patiently! It turned out I was dehydrated, not just a rank beginner, and you were kinder than anyone could have expected. So appreciated.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
A special thank you to the guys in the E-Chair line for calling me out as a Jerry. I am so clueless when it comes to finding untracked 500 vertical of untracked. The 10 foot (easy) slog up an untracked banking to return to the trail was soooo unworth it. You are so much more worthy than me.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
To the busboy/waiter/manager/staff at Red Robin who took the $50 out of the wallet my son accidentally left in the booth tonight;

Thanks for returning the wallet sans the cash when we returned 30 minutes later to report it lost. He worked two days to earn that cash We've cancelled his debit card in case you took photos of the front and back before turning the wallet in hoping to also do some online shopping at his expense. Oh well, tough lesson for a kid to learn. Thanks for that:poo:

I heard a man on the bus talking about never returning a wallet with cash in it. He felt it was his 'reward' since one time he gave back $800 and only got a $20 reward for his efforts. I hope he never loses his wallet. Or maybe I hope he does?

'What goes around comes around' and instant karma and all that stuff...

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Good things happen too and need to be noticed and shared. There is always plenty of crap to go around.

An internal car door part broke and the handle fell off in my hand; bad.
To fix it:
Dealer $450
Body shops $275 - $350
Neighborhood auto repair shop owner $10.00. He got another $20 for beer.

The fix has held since August. Hurrah for the good guys, they are out there.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
A special thank you to the guys in the E-Chair line for calling me out as a Jerry. I am so clueless when it comes to finding untracked 500 vertical of untracked. The 10 foot (easy) slog up an untracked banking to return to the trail was soooo unworth it. You are so much more worthy than me.

You shoulda blown kisses.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Good things happen too and need to be noticed and shared. There is always plenty of crap to go around.

To fix it:
Dealer $450
Body shops $275 - $350

I agree wholeheartedly. There are two neighbors in my 'hood that snow throw the 10 homes on our alley after storms. Thank you very much.

And the bus driver last night that stopped before the formal bus stop to pick up a woman running to make it to the stop. The driver was putting their job on the line as that is absolutely verboten.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A shout out to the one California driver that actually moved to the right lane without me having to flash my lights. You must be a new transplant.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
A shout out to the one California driver that actually moved to the right lane without me having to flash my lights. You must be a new transplant.

Pictures or it didnt happen!!! Part of the CA driving test, gotta stay in the left lane...:golfclap:

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I heard a man on the bus talking about never returning a wallet with cash in it. He felt it was his 'reward' since one time he gave back $800 and only got a $20 reward for his efforts. I hope he never loses his wallet. Or maybe I hope he does?

'What goes around comes around' and instant karma and all that stuff...
I took wallet to the police station last year. The receptionist looked inside for ID and blurted out, "Oh, there's money in it?". Apparently this is a rare occurrence? :huh:

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier

To fix it:
Dealer $450
Body shops $275 - $350

When I was in grad school there was a retired SAE cert mechanic who worked out of the back of his truck for cash. He was really good and really cheap. I had him servicing the autos of half the grad students at a major university in no time. Once he was working on my friend's car and she lived nearby. I drove over to her house and asked him to look at a problem. I thought it was a $3-400 repair. He found a bad switch in about 30 seconds and pulled it out. I walked to the auto parts store around the corner. The switch was like $5. I popped it back in myself. He wouldn't let me pay him. If you live in Tampa and hear of a mechanic named Ali, he's the best. Call him.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
This is my SOP for when another driver gives me the finger. Or just smile and wave (and a genuine smile, not an FU smile). The dissonant response always confuses aggression.

I usually smile real big and give a thumbs up!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This isn't a stranger, in fact its about some amazing friends.
I'll be posting some random call outs here the next few days. No explanation, but you'll know why.

@DanoT - I owe you a beverage the next time we meet up.
@pais alto - pics?
@Willy - you da man!
@Rainbow Jenny - respect, Girl,....you have it!
@T-Square - together we're more smarter, eh?
@SBrown - Rules are rules!!
@Mike Thomas - the silent slayer
@ScotsSkier- asking the question that we didn't know how to ask. Thanks for lending a hand.
@hrstrat57 - for my new affection for velvet.

Its been a long few days and I haven't mentioned many .....I will, more to come.

Sponsor