• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

To Whom It May Concern... shout outs to strangers, recent interactions

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
First off, I am glad Joshua was around. Second, about sinking your Whaler . . . I thought that was impossible?

:huh:

I think I heard the speech when they christened that 11 foot Whaler.. "it's easy to grin, when you're ship's come in, and you've got the stock market beat......................................"

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This was on Jalopnik...Strange case of road rage..this guy has some issues. Any day you don't have to deal with a character like this..it's a good day.

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
First off, I am glad Joshua was around. Second, about sinking your Whaler . . . I thought that was impossible?

3PieceBoat384x236.jpeg

maxresdefault.jpg

:huh:

Pretty easy, in fact. Broken mount under power, so sudden stop, then gas tank shifted rather violently (I'm guessing here) and knocked out the drain plug under the tank. After that, the aft swamped pretty quickly, and maybe the wake wave came over the transom as well. Grabbed the kid and an extra life jacket and floated away.

On the upside, Joshua fixed the boat for me.

Another upside is the view. Took this while hiking yesterday morning about 730am. Incidentally, I sank the whaler on the other side of that floating doc several hours later. image.jpg

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Pretty easy, in fact. Broken mount under power, so sudden stop, then gas tank shifted rather violently (I'm guessing here) and knocked out the drain plug under the tank. After that, the aft swamped pretty quickly, and maybe the wake wave came over the transom as well. Grabbed the kid and an extra life jacket and floated away.

On the upside, Joshua fixed the boat for me.

Another upside is the view. Took this while hiking yesterday morning about 730am. Incidentally, I sank the whaler on the other side of that floating doc several hours later. View attachment 11223
Wow! You can't post a photo like that w/o telling us where it is!

As far as sinking the whaler, I was mostly joking. Even as a kid when those ads came out, it was clear to me that the key to making the photo shoot work was to very carefully avoid swamping the fore and aft section. The middle section was "self draining" if you will. Still, they were great advertisements of product qualities. #2 in my book. As an aside, #1 occurred in the Indianapolis Motor Speedway garage area in the late 80s. Bill Simpson (Simpson Safety Equipment) had just invented a filter that would keep drivers from inhaling flames (which had recently critically injured several) if there was a fire. Simpson suited up in full nomex and his new respirator. Doused himself with gasoline and ignited. And then stood there calmly for nearly 2 minutes engulfed in flames, until he gave the signal to his assistants to douse the flames with fire extinguishers. Very impressive product demonstration! I recall a broadcaster stating on race day that all 33 drivers were wearing the new respirator, even those sponsored by Bell and Arai, which had caved under driver pressure and allowed them to use them despite, I presume, exclusivity clauses in the sponsorship agreements.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Plenty of interesting displays of body art at the mega water park today. Most of it was pretty cool, well thought out, and looked great. To the 50 something year old lady standing near us in line that had small animal tracks tattooed up her inner thigh , were those cat footprints? No. Dog prints? No.. Oh snap they were...... :eek: Winona, is that you???

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
A shout out to myself, and a warning to any fisherpersons in the group.

Came back into the country through Houston Saturday. Went to get my bags on the carousel. First thing I see is a long tubular fishing rod case. It rests at a 45 degree angle on the carousel with one bag below it and another above it, both at the same end. No problem. Just as it passes under the spot where bags drop into the carousel, yep, here comes a large (and it turns out, heavy) bag. Drops onto the opposite end of the rod case which starts to flex . . . . and kept flexing. I jumped into action and pulled the bag off before it tore the case apart (and, presumably, the rod). As I then stand there and watch the case go around again, the guy next to me says "what, that isn't even your fishing rod?". So, fisherperson who went through customs in Houston Saturday, you are welcome.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Dear new guy that delivers our mail. Thanks for sending back the package that you marked as "undeliverable" according to the tracking so I had to call USPS customer service and have it redelivered today. Thanks for putting a letter in our box today that was addressed to a neighbor around the corner on a different street. I gave it back to you when asking why the package that now shows up as "delivered" 5 minutes ago was NOT in our mailbox. Thanks for denying that we had any packages and claiming to have no knowledge of why it was now showing up as delivered so I had to call customer service again..

But, most important.. thanks for retracing your steps and finding my package around the corner at an earlier stop on your route.. on yet another street and bringing it to me before the USPS customer service picked up the phone. I was about to report you as a serious problem.

And, I thought the other mail carrier was terrible hahahahahaha!!!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Keeping it light: Thanks to my UPS driver for carrying all the ridiculous stuff I order. Most recently a 5' long deck box (some assembly required).

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks to the PECO guys who finally made it to our neck of the woods to restore our power after being out for almost 24 hours following storms yesterday. Nice to have AC again on one of the hottest days of the summer.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Somedays you ask yourself why the hell did I get out of bed. Look here comes a loaded 53 ton truck with his lights on at highway speed. Lets just pull out in front of the truck and do 40 mph. To the lady in the Subaru with the Raindow coalition decal on your back window. Hows that Peterbilt grill look in your mirror. For christ sakes don't involve me in your stupidity.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Thanks to all the Seattle drivers who (knock on wood) seem to not have any issues with me sharing the road while riding my bike. Be predictable, signal your intent, and lay off the Strava in traffic. :)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I was just at the post office mailing bindings to @Jon D, and the woman behind the counter suggested that I used the Priority Mail box because it wou ldbe less than the box I had them packed in, about about 50%. I said I cold send a box of rocks to someone for basically free now. She said "Yes, you could'. So, if someone receives a box of rocks, you will know where it came from.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I was just at the post office mailing bindings to @Jon D, and the woman behind the counter suggested that I used the Priority Mail box because it wou ldbe less than the box I had them packed in, about about 50%. I said I cold send a box of rocks to someone for basically free now. She said "Yes, you could'. So, if someone receives a box of rocks, you will know where it came from.

Would they be indemnified? What size are the brakes??

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just would like to give notice to: The Black BMW sedan than ran into 4 feet of snow on the side of Hwy 90 between Kellogg and Kingston Idaho. I saw him, stopped, turned around on the freeway, backed up hooked chain to my hitch and his car and pulled him out. Got out of my truck to get my chain and he was gone. NO thanks...kiss my ##&, just gone. I shouldn't complain I guess he didn't steal my chain just unhooked it and drove off.

RNZ

aka Ski Kiwi
Skier
Just would like to give notice to: The Black BMW sedan than ran into 4 feet of snow on the side of Hwy 90 between Kellogg and Kingston Idaho. I saw him, stopped, turned around on the freeway, backed up hooked chain to my hitch and his car and pulled him out. Got out of my truck to get my chain and he was gone. NO thanks...kiss my ##&, just gone. I shouldn't complain I guess he didn't steal my chain just unhooked it and drove off.

what an ##&. How does it occur to people not to stop and say thanks. Like you say, at least you got your chain back.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Well...BMW, pretty much says it all.

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Well...BMW, pretty much says it all.

Hi Jim !! The guy probably thought the old guy in the truck was getting a favor pulling out his BMW. Someday-somewhere I might see that car off the road again and I will politely stop and ask him "do you need some help" and then give him the proverbial one finger salute and laugh. Oh, if life only were that good.

TheBestSkier

Getting on the lift
Skier
Thank you young "ladies" at the Motherloaded Tavern for showing me your new piercings. I didn't ask to see them but somehow you knew I was the guy that needed to know about them. Without you two I wouldn't have had the opportunity to sleep on the couch last night.

That's the Motherloaded Tavern in Breckenridge if anyone was curious about these things.

Sponsor

Staff online