• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

To *everyone* over forty and the twenty-somethings on the internet

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I find some humor in this blog, and some truth.
Its written by a woman, for women, but mostly, I think it applies to all genders and can inspire all of us to support each other as we age.

@AmyPJ 's Divorce Support thread actually inspired me to post this, because I faced a lot of voices from people who really had no clue how long I'd lived in the "Supposed to's" because I was supposed to.

Lets face it, living in the "supposed to's" is not cool just because you're supposed to.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Guys...what about us?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Caring about what other people think is a great way to be miserable.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Guys...what about us?

What about us?

We've already got 1) brandy and 2) man caves and 3) shirts with yellowed pits and 4) chewing tobacco and 5) golf pants and 6) nose hair. We already spend less on our appearance in a year than bloggerettes do in a month.

We are supremely empowered to not care about criticism.

Caring about what other people think is a great way to be miserable.

Yeh.
*hawks loogie*
*digs for booger* *flicks it*
*lets the raspberry flutter a cheek*

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Okay, that just makes everybody *else* miserable!

Yep :)

...unless you're trying to say that 'not caring about what someone else thinks' is a spectrum, hmmnn, and all the above blog is is a limited pushback in a particular direction along that spectrum?

(Or maybe I was trying to show without saying. But you get the idea.)

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Seriously, I know a lot of women who don't spend a ton of $$ on frills, but still know how to take care of themselves so they are well groomed.

All in all, we all can have a healthier attitude about putting our 2¢ in on other people's "supposed to's", and more time being aware of our own personal RAWR!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks, @Tricia! I'm getting better at giving the middle finger to those who are judging me for sure. They have not lived my life and have no idea what I've been through that has brought me to this place. And @cantunamunch, I about spit my post-bike green smoothie out at your post! Loved it! Humor is always my friend, but even more so now.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Guys...what about us?

We don't have to say nothin'.
We are the strong and silent type of manly man.

When my 20 year son questions my taste in clothes. My standard reply is "You're less than one third my age, when you get to my age, give me a call and tell me what you think then."
That usually keeps him quiet for a while.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Age appropriate clothing, lol ... need to amend that one to "body type" appropriate, fashion victims excluded, they're beyond help, lol.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Funny how a post about not caring what others think quickly devolved into people expressing their opinions on what other people shouldn't be wearing ... jeez ...

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Funny how a post about not caring what others think quickly devolved into people expressing their opinions on what other people shouldn't be wearing ... jeez ...

Err - devolved how? It is merely a specific instance of the other side of the coin. A member of the complement set, in other words.

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
When my 20 year son questions my taste in clothes. My standard reply is "You're less than one third my age, when you get to my age, give me a call and tell me what you think then."
That usually keeps him quiet for a while.

My standard response to such naysayers is "when you dress as well as I do, the rules do not apply."

Granted, that response doesn't work so great when, like now, I'm in my stained v-neck undershirt, chino shorts so old and threadbare that they are illegal in most school zones, and my favorite rotten boat shoes that deserve a hazmat warning.

All that said, "comfortable" is its own reward, which methinks is the point.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Speaking as a 50-something (I turn 54 on 6/13 in case anyone wants to shower me with expensive gifts), I really don't know what 50-somethings are supposed to wear. I'm skinny enough that I often have to shop in the young men's department to find clothes that fit; like there aren't enough guys with a waist size under 32" for the grownup men's department.

Fortunately I'm not that concerned about how lame I might appear. I found the Marc Anthony clothing line in Kohl's fits pretty well; I have no idea who Marc Anthony is. A musician I think, making what passes for music these days?

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
To clarify: I hold the concept of "age appropriate" clothing for adults, not children, in the same regard as mom jeans, dad jeans, mom haircuts, etc. And I live in a section of the city where the majority still dress like pilgrims!

Not to dig myself in deeper, but since I bought up body type, I will certainly say I've seen some darn sexy plus size women in this world.
When I used to spend allot of time around my cities boat house row area, river drives, I would often see a buxom blond who I wouldn't have had to think about for a millisecond had I thought I'd have a chance with her. Half my age, always with her black mastiff which complimented her size beautifully. She'd dress in black spandex top to bottom and looked good, seriously good. She totally owned it, exuded confidence, very desirable! I'm 99.9% sure @cantopplemensa wouldn't have thought twice about that one either. Ok nuff said I'll leave it to @formerly know as DesiredUsername to dig me out of this one, or not ;)

Sponsor

Staff online