• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

TNF Fuseform

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
I hate bulky jackets, like in major weight weenie mode. I've been skiing a really light but still warm two layer TNF gortex shell for several years that I loved, but it tore in two places and is badly faded (has a nice pack outline where the blue is still nice and blue).

So time for something new. I ended up buying a TNF "Brigandine Fuseform" jacket on a late season closeout (these things are $500 retail) - the last large size in orange in the country I think. Anyway, the fuseform technology enables interweaving of different fiber thicknesses into a single piece of material with the objective of providing reinforced areas without bulk. Something along the lines of 3 layer shell plus reinforcement patches in two layer weight.

When the jacket arrived I was a bit skeptical. It seemed both a bit stiff and not super light, but otherwise felt absolutely bomber. I thought about returning it, but the price was right so it hung out in the coat closet until now. After two days of cold temp storm skiing, I'm sold.

It's light over my puff mid-layer, doesn't feel stiff at all through the range of skiing motion, has huge arm openings and longish sleeves to go way over gloves, and is as weather proof as anything I've worn (that's really a cold/wind statement in CO). Definitely thinking about getting the pants, too, once I can find a good deal.

Here are some pics showing the transition between the lighter and heavier duty areas. First is shoulder area and second is mid-arm (lighter) to lower arm (heavier).

IMG_2874.JPG
IMG_2875.JPG

I'm not sure this would be the best jacket for uphill ventures, but lifts will be serving that duty and I'll take whatever heat retention I can get out of a shell.

Last edited:
TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
One thing I've been noticing is a trend towards shells that feel more like fabric weave and less like plastic - you can see that in the Fuseform even in the lighter duty areas. I think that's why my initial sense of this jacket was being heavier, but it's in the material and not in excess volume or reinforcement, so it wears very balanced.

Every time I go pull a $500 Arcteryx off the rack it feels like a sheet of plastic, and I hate that feeling. I don't even know how they get Gortex to be that rigid, especially since more plastic-y is less good feel-y.

TNF 2 layer Gortex is definitely a favorite for being very relaxed and flexible, but there is so little of that type of design on the market, at least that I can find in a shell. Seems a lot of focus is on insulated coats, and I want layers, not coat insulation.

I did do some TNF Fuseform pant shopping after I posted this thread. Holy $500, don't think so, maybe the black with orange accents will be around end of season...

Sponsor