• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tired of cold butt on the chair. Need a pair of waterproof warm ski pants

Chaz

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Looking for the holy grail of Vermont skiing! Men's ski pants that are well insulated (especially in the rear!) for those cold icy chair rides. Would prefer the pants also be water proof.

Do they exist?
Any suggestions?

Thanks

Numb butt. :)

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Ya, 40 years of skiing in all conditions and all different types of top layers and the only things that are 100% waterproof are trash bags and rain slickers. Butt, pun intended, these are the next best thing and way more practical.. but look ridiculous hahahaha. I'd use one in the worst icy rain conditions if someone gave me one though..

HOTBUNS Butt Warmer

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
When it is really cold I just use the Patagonia R1 bottoms as my base layer pant and that does the trick even with thinner shell pants.

Michael Kane

Kano
Skier
On really cold @$$ days and nights, I though a pair of racer's shorts over my regular pants. That little bit of insulation reallly helps keep the cold from radiating up from the chair. One of our women patrollers uses padded short/tights ( I am thinking theyare like what football players use) under her pants for the same reason.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I got a pair of insulated The North Face ski pants 2 years ago and they have been incredible. No cold butt ever and I don't have to wear multiple layers of pants even on the coldest days.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Hot buns are great. Inside or outside of the pants.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I've used North Face freedom pants in my race league. Insulated, they've been rain tested this season... My tush has stayed warm and dry.

I've also used Mammut pants without suffering cold & wet butt syndrome.

TS
C

Chaz

Skier
Butt flaps and Hot Buns are not for me!!! I can hear ribbing I would take.:roflmao:
Down shorts is an Idea.. Are they too bulky under the ski pants?

Any traditional ski pants with extra padding in the rear? Snowboard pants?
Always see them sitting in the snow.

Thanks

CJ

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Down shorts are probably more expensive than these are.. And you won't have to take as many breaks..

1053.jpg

TS
C

Chaz

Skier
Down shorts are probably more expensive than these are.. And you won't have to take as many breaks..

1053.jpg
I like low cost alternatives and I'm glad that your personal experience gives two thumbs up... Any leakage issues?

drewski

Putting on skis
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
on really cold days I have a thick pair of fleece sweat pants that I bought at REI, I cut them just above the knee and wear them over my base layer bottoms, solved the cold butt on the lift problem

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Hot bunns!
Wear them inside a loose ski pant. Ask your SO if they make your butt look fat.

I wear them on both rain and snow days. I never complain that the lift chair seats are not cleaned properly. ;-)

James

Out There
Instructor

1053.jpg
Yep, no breaks once you leave the house till you get back. Just like driving from Houston to Cape Canaveral without a bathroom break as that psycho astronaut did on theway to commit murder.

Crash pads. Ok, this is kind of creepy:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)

Sponsor

Staff online