• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tips for softgoods on a budget?

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
My wife is getting back into skiing after 15+ years off, and we basically need to revamp her entire wardrobe of softgoods. She has an insulated jacket but still needs:
  • Top and Bottom baselayers
  • Mid layer for top
  • Goggles
  • Balaclava / facemask
  • Ski pants
Any tips for finding this stuff without spending a fortune? She's a beginner and doesn't need the highest performance.

A while back I asked something similar for myself, and you all gave me an awesome recommendation of Old Navy Activewear for midlayers. I picked up some great fleece for something like $10 that I still use 6+ years later, but unfortunately most of that line has been discontinued.

I'm currently looking at Poshmark for second-hand baselayers. They seem to have great deals on lightly used Under Amour cold gear. In the past I've had good luck on Craigslist for ski pants. Goggles I may splurge for a nice new pair, since IMO there's nothing worse than scratched up lenses when you're trying to enjoy beautiful scenery. (But then I'm curious about the most versatile single lens? I carry several shades for myself, but this may be overkill for a 4-5 day a year skier) Not sure what kind of balaclava is good for ladies with long hair, so I'm definitely lost there.

Anyway, I know this is a vague and rambling thread, but I'd definitely appreciate in random tips you have!

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
just keeping looking for sales- I find certain sites better for finding something on the cheap. Just picked up a Giro helmet and goggles for $150, and the same setup is about $100 more on other sites. Plus after season sales are where you find some great pricing. But if you are looking for stuff now, well it might cost a little more.

But here are some great goggles right now with extra lens-

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I got a lot of my stuff on ebay including Patagonia puffs. EBay and sideline swap are great sources. I've also scored deals in ski shops at end of season sales ie goggles at half off, etc.

I have too many balaclavas, face masks and gloves. Pm me if you are interested.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I got my base layers at Costco. 32° Warm I think is what they are. Very lightweight but warm enough with shell pants or insulated, depending on the temp. Some ski pants came from Sierra TP. Sometimes "hunting" base and mid layers are just as functional but cost less.

Novaloafah

Should've paid attention to that lesson.
Skier
I've been very pleased with Columbia brand Omni Heat base layers over the years. I would get them end of season sales but the web pricing seems reasonable. Used them snowmobiling/hiking last Christmas in temp ranges -30 to -45 in Yukon Territory sledding and walking. Worked just as well as for skiing.

My wife hikes a bit through winter and has found some merino wool blends at Costco very reasonably priced. They perform well for her.
Not super high end performance wise but perhaps good enough at a good price?

Have fun

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Mountain Wearhouse.

I think that's the Canadian site, but they are in the US too. Maybe @Jenny has the other link.
We have a store near us so we just go there. Googling comes up with this, though, which looks right: https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/us/

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Wallyword (Walmart),

You spelled Malwart wrong ;)

Marshalls, TJ Maxx, and Sierra Trading Post.

Which don't really have different stock anymore.

The thing to remember at those is to *not* overbuy something that she hasn't tested. Otherwise you wind up with drawers full of stuff that isn't *quite* optimal. I have boxes of discount softgoods that were all cheap but subtly wrong:

too hot (hunting baselayers are like this)
not quite fit right
too much material or interferes with overgarments (discount square cut fleece)
warm only when no wind (a lot of running baselayers are like this)
fine in the first hour but clammy and cold in the second
warm and comfy but heavy
nasty on-skin feel
pill like crazy at wear zones
lose material/ abrade at wear zones
insufficient material/coverage to close gaps (e.g. at neck)
clashy, sticky, fussy zipper closures

Last edited:

Mel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
+1 for Costco. Costco here has a very reasonable selection of helmets, goggles, face masks, gloves, and baselayers. It’s perfect for the occasional skier - not such poor quality that they’ll have a bad time and never go back, but not so expensive that they feel it’s unreasonable for them. I see lots of Costco gear on the hill here and it looks good as well.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Probably already on this, but Google can be your friend.
If you know what you want (and that's the trick), google it for prices. I just bought a 2021 Pret helmet that retails for $220 for $99. And then a pair of Smith IO mag, retail $270, for $189.
It's getting to be springtime and the end-of-season sales are starting.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
My wife is getting back into skiing after 15+ years off, and we basically need to revamp her entire wardrobe of softgoods. She has an insulated jacket but still needs:
  • Top and Bottom baselayers
  • Mid layer for top
  • Goggles
  • Balaclava / facemask
  • Ski pants
Any tips for finding this stuff without spending a fortune? She's a beginner and doesn't need the highest performance.

A while back I asked something similar for myself, and you all gave me an awesome recommendation of Old Navy Activewear for midlayers. I picked up some great fleece for something like $10 that I still use 6+ years later, but unfortunately most of that line has been discontinued.

I'm currently looking at Poshmark for second-hand baselayers. They seem to have great deals on lightly used Under Amour cold gear. In the past I've had good luck on Craigslist for ski pants. Goggles I may splurge for a nice new pair, since IMO there's nothing worse than scratched up lenses when you're trying to enjoy beautiful scenery. (But then I'm curious about the most versatile single lens? I carry several shades for myself, but this may be overkill for a 4-5 day a year skier) Not sure what kind of balaclava is good for ladies with long hair, so I'm definitely lost there.

Anyway, I know this is a vague and rambling thread, but I'd definitely appreciate in random tips you have!
End of season and pre-season sales.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
I got my base layers at Costco. 32° Warm I think is what they are. Very lightweight but warm enough with shell pants or insulated, depending on the temp. Some ski pants came from Sierra TP. Sometimes "hunting" base and mid layers are just as functional but cost less.
The brand is having a sale right now: $5.99 leggings. Doubt that will last.

Sponsor

Staff online