• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Nope... haven't really had a chance. I've still never skied an area where I think anyone would care what kind of tracks I left (i.e. I've never skied untracked powder for more than a couple of turns). So I just go where I want that looks interesting. Sometimes that means meandering...
Are you going to make a day at Targhee during the Gathering? Because there are a lot of fresh tracks to be made there--it snows a lot! I've gotten more powder days going to Targhee 10 days or so a season than I do at Snowbasin for 95 days. Visibility is often an issue, but it is at Snowbasin, too (as you know.)

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Best powder day Grand Foggy.
20191203_200021.png

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
On the topic of "passing". I can never accept the notion than someone "behind" needs to pass anyone ahead.

Where does that entitlement come from? "I can ski faster than you!" Big deal. Slow down, follow at the other's pace. Wait until the other skier KNOWS you are there. Then pass safely.

It's not that hard.

Relax and enjoy, Go with the Flow.
Need? No. Want? Definitely. As a carvaholic, I love carving clean turns down narrow twisty trails, but that often leaves me skiing much faster than most of the other skiers on the hill. When I catch up to someone on a narrow trail, where it is not safe to pass, I have to revert back to short radius non-carved turns in order not to overtake the skier. Waiting for the way to clear out only lets more people get in front of me. Sad, but true, sometimes you just have to accept that you must shut it down for this run and work on your short radius turns for bump skiing (even though there on no bumps on that trail).

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
Are you going to make a day at Targhee during the Gathering? Because there are a lot of fresh tracks to be made there--it snows a lot! I've gotten more powder days going to Targhee 10 days or so a season than I do at Snowbasin for 95 days. Visibility is often an issue, but it is at Snowbasin, too (as you know.)
Absolutely should! During a week in Jackson I'll ski 2 days at JH and the rest of the week at Targhee!

Sponsor

Staff online