• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Le Massif.

Seven Springs

in the east no where else I am aware.

TS
speedster

speedster

Putting on skis
Skier
Le Massif.

Seven Springs

in the east no where else I am aware.

Thanks, I meant, in Utah! Are there trails in Alta, Brighton, Solitude, Deer Valley, or even Snowbird where such wide, groomed trails exist? Thanks!

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Big Emma at Snowbird jumps to mind. I'm sure there are others at all of them.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^
Yeah, Big Emma is enormous, also parts of mineral basin off Baldy chair are wide open, and some of the runs in the Strawberry area at Snowbasin are wide. (I don't know Brighton, Solitude, or DV.)

In general though, the groomers out west are a lot wider than most of those in the east.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
At Snowbird, as mentioned, lower Big Emma (from midway unload on the Mid Gad lift) is very wide, but often pretty crowded, too. Wilbere and the green- and blue-marked runs in Mineral basin are also good bets.

Brighton, Perri's Bowl, Christie Bowl, and Majestic are wide like in the video, but most of the groomed runs are wide enough for big turns.

Solitude, Main Street and most everything under the Eagle Express chair fit the bill.

Alta and Deer Valley, most of the green- and blue-marked runs are really wide. But at Alta, watch out for the area below the Collins Angle Station--Corkscrew narrows in spots, and is steeper than many other blue runs.

TS
speedster

speedster

Putting on skis
Skier
At Snowbird, as mentioned, lower Big Emma (from midway unload on the Mid Gad lift) is very wide, but often pretty crowded, too. Wilbere and the green- and blue-marked runs in Mineral basin are also good bets.

Brighton, Perri's Bowl, Christie Bowl, and Majestic are wide like in the video, but most of the groomed runs are wide enough for big turns.

Solitude, Main Street and most everything under the Eagle Express chair fit the bill.

Alta and Deer Valley, most of the green- and blue-marked runs are really wide. But at Alta, watch out for the area below the Collins Angle Station--Corkscrew narrows in spots, and is steeper than many other blue runs.

This is wonderful info, thank you!

TQA

Putting on skis
Skier
It looks like you are all skiers but just a reminder that Alta and Deer Valley are skiers only, boarders are not welcome.

If it looks like you are going to get a weekend powder day consider avoiding any of the 4 Cottonwood resorts which will be very crowded and go to Deer Valley.

Watch for police with speed guns around the top of little Cottonwood canyon. They also look for people having a few drinks before driving down.

TS
speedster

speedster

Putting on skis
Skier
It looks like you are all skiers but just a reminder that Alta and Deer Valley are skiers only, boarders are not welcome.

If it looks like you are going to get a weekend powder day consider avoiding any of the 4 Cottonwood resorts which will be very crowded and go to Deer Valley.

Watch for police with speed guns around the top of little Cottonwood canyon. They also look for people having a few drinks before driving down.

Love it, thank you!

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
TBH most groomed runs around here are wide enough for nice big turns. As far as where to find good groomers at each area,

Alta, check out the sugar loaf and supreme lifts.

Solitude, basically the whole front side so the moonbeam, Apex and Eagle lifts each service some nice groomers.

Brighton, Crest Express and Milly lifts.

Deer valley, hard to not find good groomers, head to flagstaff mt and bald mt areas.

sky_chicken

Putting on skis
Skier
Be aware of the Sundance Film Festival; Jan 24th to Feb 3rd this year. It turns the town of Park City into a very expensive parking lot with long lines for restaurants, but the mountains are fairly empty. So not a good time for cruising Main St.
This explains why the flights seem unusually high that week, and have remained so for months.

RikkiBobbi

Booting up
Skier
First timer this year - can anyone confirm that the Waldorf Gondola does NOT require lift tickets? Thinking about staying at nearby Hyatt Place, walking to Waldorf Gondola. Buddies wont have lift tickets morning of 1st day so need to be sure they can get up the Waldorf with no issues. Is the Cabriolet the same way?

Last edited:

marjoram_sage

newly addicted to skiing
Skier
First timer this year - can anyone confirm that the Waldorf Gondola does NOT require lift tickets? Thinking about staying at nearby Hyatt Place, walking to Waldorf Gondola. Buddies wont have lift tickets morning of 1st day so need to be sure they can get up the Waldorf with no issues. Is the Cabriolet the same way?
Yes (based on my visit last year). You only need a lift ticket starting at red pine gondola.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks, I meant, in Utah! Are there trails in Alta, Brighton, Solitude, Deer Valley, or even Snowbird where such wide, groomed trails exist? Thanks!
Yes.

jgiddyup

Asst. Gathermeister--Utah
Skier
... AND (usually) super-slick.

True, but hit it early in good condition and thank goodness I've never crashed when that has happened:)

As to the original poster, if snow is good everywhere then I agree with the DV suggestion and still agree if snow is not great but temps are still low as DV will make the most of it. If temps are on the high side during your trip (mid 40's) then head to the Cottonwoods minus Snowbird.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
First timer this year - can anyone confirm that the Waldorf Gondola does NOT require lift tickets? Is the Cabriolet the same way?
Not sure if anyone answered the Cabriolet part of your question. My experience has been no ticket or skis required as it is basically a parking lot shuttle. Your friends may find Hyatt Place has a shuttle that is best route to Canyons base of Park City.

Some previous posts mentioned Wilbere lift. Other than road to Middle Big Emma, which requires returning on one of two blue Cutoff runs to do laps on Wilbere, runs are probably steeper than you are used to or than would be appropriate for less confident intermediates. I was there one March, when it had been through a lot of melt/freeze cycles without new snow, and all the runs that returned to chair were scary firm.

RikkiBobbi

Booting up
Skier
Not sure if anyone answered the Cabriolet part of your question. My experience has been no ticket or skis required as it is basically a parking lot shuttle. Your friends may find Hyatt Place has a shuttle that is best route to Canyons base of Park City.

Some previous posts mentioned Wilbere lift. Other than road to Middle Big Emma, which requires returning on one of two blue Cutoff runs to do laps on Wilbere, runs are probably steeper than you are used to or than would be appropriate for less confident intermediates. I was there one March, when it had been through a lot of melt/freeze cycles without new snow, and all the runs that returned to chair were scary firm.

Thanks for the info. I actually called Hyatt Place and their shuttle doesn't start until 0800. Oh well...under .5 mile walk will be a nice warm up in the mornings.