• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I had always assumed Alta was the more "expert" hill so very interesting to hear the "warnings" about Snowbird.

Funny... I think I'd always heard the other way. After 2 days at each last season at the Gathering, I agree that Snowbird is the more "expert" area. (Though I don't ski the expert terrain, so that's based on visuals and feedback from the folks that did ski it; And from the fact that the intermediate/advanced terrain at Snowbird seemed more challenging than Alta.)

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Overall, Alta is the more interesting/accessible hill for an intermediate. Alta has plenty of gnarly terrain. You just really have to go there by choice. Often with skis off. There's a saying at Alta: "Why ski, when you can hike? "

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I agree with others about having everyone bring their own skis and then rent wide skis if needed. IMO it is best to rent from a on mountain rental shop as it is worth paying slightly higher demo ski rental prices in order to have the ability to change skis throughout the day. A soft wide ski may be great for fresh snow in the morning, while some other ski might work better in cut up snow in the afternoon.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Good thread. I'll be in Little Cottonwood on a 3-day Ski Utah Super Pass in mid-January. Planning on hitting Alta one day, Snowbird the next, and whichever one I like better on the 3rd day. I had always assumed Alta was the more "expert" hill so very interesting to hear the "warnings" about Snowbird.
It's less about the expertness; if you are an expert there is more than enough "expert" terrain you are looking for at either resort for several years to decades of exploring;
it's more that there is basically no beginner/intermediate or cruising groomers at Snowbird. The groomers they do have, have underlying uneven terrain and get chunky and choppy, and mogul up by midday and are a chore for non-advanced skiers. Alta not only has decent selection of groomers but also manicures them much smoother so that intermediate can at least actually attack a blue run and feel in control and not just survive.

As far as your perception of expert hill; I would say at least half of the reason Alta maintains the extra mystique is due to skier-only and the associated high-brow snootiness that derives from that (alta is for skiers...aka not for everyone); while Snowbird is a bit more laid back, so seems "accessible" and welcoming since it allows snowboarders (even though the terrain says otherwise).

Last edited:

Gentry

Booting up
Skier
As far as your perception of expert hill; I would say at least half of the reason Alta maintains the extra mystique is due to skier-only and the associated high-brow snootiness that derives from that (alta is for skiers...aka not for everyone); while Snowbird is a bit more laid back, so seems "accessible" and welcoming since it allows snowboarders (even though the terrain says otherwise).

Exactly this.

Lofcaudio

Getting off the lift
Skier
I agree with everything that has been said. Like sbooker, I too am an intermediate who loves Snowbird. However, I have taken beginners there and had less-than-ideal experiences. Like Jackson Hole, Snowbird is a great mountain but I just can't recommend it for a group if not everyone is at least a strong intermediate who has some experience skiing in all kinds of conditions. But you've already heard that...

What you haven't heard is that the best kept secret (which really is no longer a secret) in Utah skiing is Snowbasin. There is so much fun terrain there that I always have to put in a good word for someone visiting Utah to ski for the first time. It's an hour outside of SLC and it's not on your pass, so it really doesn't make sense for you to try it compared to your other options. But the terrain at Snowbasin is special, in my opinion. Lots of fun terrain there for all abilities...lots of great cruising terrain with 2,000+ vertical.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I agree with everything that has been said. Like sbooker, I too am an intermediate who loves Snowbird. However, I have taken beginners there and had less-than-ideal experiences. Like Jackson Hole, Snowbird is a great mountain but I just can't recommend it for a group if not everyone is at least a strong intermediate who has some experience skiing in all kinds of conditions. But you've already heard that...

What you haven't heard is that the best kept secret (which really is no longer a secret) in Utah skiing is Snowbasin. There is so much fun terrain there that I always have to put in a good word for someone visiting Utah to ski for the first time. It's an hour outside of SLC and it's not on your pass, so it really doesn't make sense for you to try it compared to your other options. But the terrain at Snowbasin is special, in my opinion. Lots of fun terrain there for all abilities...lots of great cruising terrain with 2,000+ vertical.
Shhhhhhhh!!!!!

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
And Deer Valley is full of a bunch of snooty/highbrow/uptight folks in Bogner ski gear and driving Bentley’s while skiing down runs lined with multi-million dollar houses that ruins the views. Terrible place!

Sometimes I wish I resembled that remark. Alas.....

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Disagree about the groomers at Snowbird. I think they are pretty good although not oriented towards beginners or low intermediates. They occasionally, but not regularly, groom some steeps that are a real treat, such as Lone Star in Mineral Basin or straight down Little Cloud bowl from the top of MBX..

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Disagree about the groomers at Snowbird. I think they are pretty good although not oriented towards beginners or low intermediates. They occasionally, but not regularly, groom some steeps that are a real treat, such as Lone Star in Mineral Basin or straight down Little Cloud bowl from the top of MBX..
I found it odd that the poorer skiers were trying the cat track when right beside it was a beautifully groomed black. Steep..yeah..but I mean, corduroy. I was on it after lunch and maybe a dozen people had been down it.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I found it odd that the poorer skiers were trying the cat track when right beside it was a beautifully groomed black. Steep..yeah..but I mean, corduroy. I was on it after lunch and maybe a dozen people had been down it.

Going over the edge is a mental game - and I've seen technically adept skiers choose not to go directly over.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor

As long as it's not raining, windy, foggy, icy, Friday, Saturday, Sunday or Monday!
Just keepin it real ;)

To be honest, every Utah area on the Ikon Pass is worth a go. I believe that you will be able to ski between Alta & Snowbird on the Ikon so the lower levels can be at Alta while the adventurous explore Snowbird, then meet at Alta mid-mountain for lunch. Even though I think Deer Valley will fit everyone's needs don't overlook the less famous Solitude & Brighton.
Solitude day 2.JPG

Last edited:

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As long as it's not raining, windy, foggy, icy, Friday, Saturday, Sunday or Monday!
Just keepin it real ;)

To be honest, every Utah area on the Ikon Pass is worth a go. I believe that you will be able to ski between Alta & Snowbird on the Ikon so the lower levels can be at Alta while the adventurous explore Snowbird, then meet at Alta mid-mountain for lunch. Even though I think Deer Valley will fit everyone's needs don't overlook the less famous Solitude & Brighton.
Deer Valley gets windy, rainy, icy and foggy too. And the weekends... :doh:

Lofcaudio

Getting off the lift
Skier

When is NOT foggy over in Strawberry? I think I've had one bluebird day there. (It was glorious.) But even when foggy, I love skiing that area. Yeah, the weekends are bad. Like I said, Snowbasin is no longer a secret. Seriously, if you are in Utah, it's worth a day trip up to Snowbasin to see why the Olympians were duly impressed.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^
No specific ski recommendation, but I also ski 70-80mm wide skis, in the mid-Atlantic. I took my Atomic Vantage 90's to Snowbasin, Alta, and Snowbird last season and skied everything from not-quite-boot-deep powder to hardpack. We got fresh snow the first day, and it got progressively more skied out and hard throughout the week. So I thought the skis were a good choice.

I'd think the Faction would be a good choice, size-wise. But keep an eye on the forecast - if you're going to get some good snow, wider would likely be the order of the day.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't sweat the skis. 88-100ish is a good place to be for UT. If you are outside if that range it's not a big deal. Just more work for you if the snow is good. Demo if you want.

DV, Brighton, and Soli are the obvious fits for your group and the best places to check out first.

Alta is a great ski area but I would be more critical in just how much it has to offer a mixed level group with more intermediates. Alta is a place where you can get over terrained very easily especially for the adventerous intermediate/advanced skier. It is easy to make a wrong turn there and end up somewhere unexpected, even for me after a decade in UT. If someone in your group knows the area well and can show you how to find the cool spots that won't over terrain people... it would be worth checking out. Without a guide it's no better than solitude.

Avoid snowbird.

Last edited:

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
beginners/kids might wanna stick to sunnyside over at Alta - collins and wildcat put you in the deep end of the pool in a hurry when your not used to it

TS
speedster

speedster

Putting on skis
Skier
This was posted on a different thread that I'd started. I can't think of anywhere on the East where we can find runs as wide as these in piste. Are there specific runs in the four Utah mountains I'd mentioned where we could find such wide trails?

Sponsor

Staff online