• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
When I visit North America I always struggle with the whole concept of people not getting paid enough by their employers, that they are relying on good tippers to end up with a living(?) wage.

Heck, I was born-and-raised here in the USA and I don't understand the whole tipping culture either. You're not alone... I have no idea who is "expecting" a tip, how much, etc.

Years ago I took a vacation trip to Kathmandu (Nepal). Upon checking into my hotel a bellboy promptly appeared to carry my bags to my room, etc. After dropping my bags off he stood there obviously expecting a tip and I was drawing a blank as to what my Nepal guidebook said regarding tipping guidelines. So I tipped him 100 rupees which is just over $1.00 USD, an amount that would probably get you spit on in a major USA city.

He seemed grateful though and after he left I decided the first order of business would be to refresh my memory on tipping guidelines. For hotel staff it recommended a 20 rupee tip (i.e., $0.25) at which point the reason for the bellboy's gratitude became apparent. :)

Suffice it to say that anytime I needed ANYTHING during that stay I had my pick of staff eager to assist. :cool:

pj415

Booting up
Skier
I tip $100 for a full day private and $50 for a half day. Lessons cost about $900/day and $600/half day at my resort. Instructors seem appreciative. I have friends with deeper pockets who will tip $200 for a full day and $100 for a half day. I may adjust to $150/full day and $75/half day.

I was told instructors make $25-40/hr. Factors like certification and whether the instructor was specifically requested help. At Vail Resorts, I think if you book through the instructor directly, they get paid time-and-a-half.

For group lessons of around 6 people, I'll tip $20 for a full or half day, depending on what other people are doing.

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor
When considering tipping ski instructors, think of his or her service to you this way:

Do you tip a waiter or waitress? They brought you the food that someone else prepared. They were kind and attentive and made your meal more pleasant and complete.

Your ski instructor prepared many years to teach you. Then when he or she introduced himself or herself to you, he or she tailored his or her teaching plan specifically to your current abilities, your stated goals, with his or her expert observation of your objective needs.

And whether or not it is apparent to you, he or she selected what, in his or her opinion, is right terrain for you to progress. He or she kept you in the safest place on the run. Helps you up when you fall, corrects your mistakes and encourages your progress.

Because he or she is a "teacher" he or she has been fingerprinted by the State Department of Justice. (Which costs the instructor money.)

If your instructor is a certified instructor, he or she also pays annual dues to the certifying organization (such as PSIA - Professional Ski Instructors of America) (~$135/yr.).

And then on his own time and at his or her own expense, your instructor has purchased and studied the books and watched the videos mandated by the certifying organization (~$100), taken clinics to develop his or her skiing and teaching skills ($125-$250), then taken an exam prep course ($100/day plus $15) to prepare for each certification exam, then taken the multi-day exam ($~$255-265).

Then once certified, to maintain his or her certification your instructor must complete Mandatory Clinics/Education at an additional unreimbursed expense of ~$125-$250 per year.

Then there's the ski equipment and non-uniform apparel, and the vehicle to get to the resort to teach you on the days that he or she is scheduled to teach despite all manner of inclement weather and resulting road closures, collisions and conditions and, last but not least, the cost of the gasoline to do so.

Your instructor chose to pay all of this out of his or her pocket.

All for less than $25/hour.

You don't know this.

Your instructor will never tell you.

Your instructor teaches you out of love.

Love for the sport and love for you and others who want to learn the sport.

To move without friction in balance like a bird balancing on the wind.

To introduce you to and to share with you the joy of skiing.

ThomasH

Putting on skis
Skier
I was told instructors make $25-40/hr. Factors like certification

I make $12/hr plus a free hot chocolate. My cert is L2, thats a silver pin. I know my shit. After all the time/$ I spent getting it...and the pathetic return on my investment...I wouldn't waste any more time/$ going for L3. I'd love to make $25-40/hr- I know of no one who does.
I just shelled out $500 to re-certify ($200 event fee, $200 lodging, $100 food/transpo). How many days do I have to teach lessons just to cover that?
Btw, we're required to re-cert every 2 years.

Last edited:

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
I never viewed going for certs a quest to increase income. It's a learning process. I needed four exams to get what's currently LII, but only one to get the gold pin. That was 1975. I'm still on a quest for understanding.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
What I tell younger or newer staff is that certification opens doors down the road. I've had a handful of younger colleagues bust hard and get their L2 and/or L3 and move to destination resorts. Some part timers at our hill, L2's and 3's, take a couple weeks and teach at DV for fun. The certification opens the door, and good words from SSD's, supervisors, etc... keeps it open.

But all that said, tips are always very helpful and highly appreciated for helping offsetting general expenses.

Last edited:

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I just shelled out $500 to re-certify ($200 event fee, $200 lodging, $100 food/transpo). How many days do I have to teach lessons just to cover that?
IMHO, having to re-cert every 2 years is completely unreasonable. As a family medicine physician I’m required to pass my board exam every 10 years which costs about $1000 for the exam. Yes I have to maintain my continuing medical education annually but I can do that for very little to no cost if I desire. Does ski instructing and technique change so much year over year that re-certifying every 2 years is worthwhile? To me it seems like a golden goose for PSIA.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
Just curious, do you guys tip your kids teachers, basketball, baseball, soccer, lacrosse coaches, etc., after every practice? They don’t get paid much and are most likely volunteering/not getting paid at all...They would probably appreciate a tip as well.
For my kid's chess team, the parents do a collective gift at the end of the year for the coaches. I don't think we tip his guitar teacher, but his fees are not low.

I do not think it's practical or appropriate to tip multiple times a season for a coach or teacher with which you have an regular relationship. An end-of-season or holiday time gift makes more sense.

BoofHead

Getting on the lift
Skier
When I visit North America I always struggle with the whole concept of people not getting paid enough by their employers, that they are relying on good tippers to end up with a living(?) wage.
After reading all the entries on this page, I am so glad that I live in a country where tipping is not required for any service supplied to us. Fair to say though, it is still optional to tip though, if the recipient of great service wants to do it.
Does my head in.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
IMHO, having to re-cert every 2 years is completely unreasonable. As a family medicine physician I’m required to pass my board exam every 10 years which costs about $1000 for the exam. Yes I have to maintain my continuing medical education annually but I can do that for very little to no cost if I desire. Does ski instructing and technique change so much year over year that re-certifying every 2 years is worthwhile? To me it seems like a golden goose for PSIA.

I've never heard of re-certing. I'm not opposed to the idea, but think there'd be alot of well deserved pushback if it cost anything more than a couple hours of pay. We also don't pay for background checks like Tim mentioned earlier. Here's my take on ed credits.... a day is typically $90 including a lift pass if needed in our division. That's what amounts to a day semi-private (because div staff feedback should be and generally is accurate, useful, and you get to meet new colleagues!) for less money than pretty much any lesson sold on the hill. I've thoroughly enjoyed divisional gatherings. Bonus that ed credits are attached. :)

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
....I just shelled out $500 to re-certify ($200 event fee, $200 lodging, $100 food/transpo). How many days do I have to teach lessons just to cover that?

Are you sure you mean "re-certify"? Are you talking about PSIA? PSIA requires members to take one course of some sort from them once every 2 years. I sure don't have to go through the certification process every 2 years.

If I choose a normal educational PSIA course to take, it can cost around $200 here in the east. That includes lift ticket and instruction. Let's not forget the tip. If I do one of these two day events I only stay one night and find the most inexpensive spot nearby. Transportation depends on distance; I drive. And I eat cheap.

However, I've gotten addicted to the week-long PSIA "academies" that happen early and late season. Because I go to those, I can skip the two-day events. These academies cost much more. Since I live in New England and the spring event happens out west, there's air fare involved in that one. Doing one or two of the academies is the most expensive option for getting PSIA's required professional development, but I get so much more out of doing my required courses this way. I'll never make enough $$ teaching to cover these costs. I think of those two academies as my ski vacations.

Last edited:

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor

I think recertification is an incorrect term except for cases where folks get out of teaching for a while and do not keep up the education requirements and dues. Attendance at some form of PSIA education event every two years is the requirement I've had to maintain for 50 years.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Are you sure you mean "re-certify"? Are you talking about PSIA? PSIA requires members to take one course of some sort from them once every 2 years. I sure don't have to go through the certification process every 2 years.

If I choose a normal educational PSIA course to take, it can cost around $200 here in the east. That includes lift ticket and instruction. Let's not forget the tip. If I do one of these two day events I only stay one night and find the most inexpensive spot nearby. Transportation depends on distance; I drive. And I eat cheap.

However, I've gotten addicted to the week-long PSIA "academies" that happen early and late season. Because I go to those, I can skip the two-day events. These academies cost much more. Since I live in New England and the spring event happens out west, there's air fare involved in that one. Doing one or two of the academies is the most expensive option for getting PSIA's required professional development, but I get so much more out of doing my required courses this way. I'll never make enough $$ teaching to cover these costs. I think of those two academies as my ski vacations.

I have to admit, I don't know if I'd be involved in PSIA or instruction if I were in the east. Lots of strikes against and what appears to be very little positive backing ($$$) from ski area management. But who knows?

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So it sounds like the re-cert that @ThomasH is describing is most likely ongoing PSIA education which is required every 2 years. That seems to make more sense. Thanks to all for the clarification.

Sponsor

Staff online